Another Dog Attack Overnight

minimiss

And another dog attack... :(

It makes you wonder if these truly are unprovoked attacks, or if the dogs wandered up to these people who acted in fear and hit the dogs, who reacted in fear. I suppose being beside the point, people should keep their dogs enclosed and safe.

Are dog attacks on the rise or is it the same amount as before but since it's the new 'hot' news topic, is it way more over publicised than before? Or a bit of both?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/man-50-mauled-in-dog-attack/story-fn7x8me2-1226212729519

TWO dogs have been seized after a man and woman were mauled in Melbourne's north last night.

The attack occurred at Axminster Drive in Craigieburn about 7.30pm.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said the man, aged in his 50s, suffered lacerations to his upper body and a possible arm injury.

The woman, in her 30s, suffered lacerations to her upper body and leg.

The pair was taken to the Northern Hospital in a stable condition.

It is understood they were out walking when the attack occurred.

It was not known if both dogs, believed to be rottweilers, were involved.

Hume City Council spokesman Kevin Sinnott said the animals were taken to the Lost Dogs' Home where they would remain until investigations concluded.

This would include interviewing the dogs' owner and possibly DNA testing to identify their breed.

"If it is a certain type of breed obviously it is far more serious now than other breeds," Mr Sinnott said.

Dangerous dogs must be registered or face seizure and destruction under laws introduced earlier this year.

The attack comes just a fortnight after a bull terrier savaged a baby in his pram at Burnside in Melbourne's west.

"If it is a certain type of breed obviously it is far more serious now than other breeds,'' Mr Sinnott said.

So much wrong with that statement it is hard to know where to start! Am I the only one reading it as, if I get attack by any other breed other than a pitbull, it's not as serious? So therefore the consequences for the owners is less?

If they are rotties, why the DNA test? Why would they say they're rotties if they really don't know?

DNA testing would be on the dog saliva on the wounds to determine which dogs was involved in the attack or if both dogs were.

If they are rotties, why the DNA test? Why would they say they're rotties if they really don't know?

From a legislative point of view, doesn't matter if they're Rottweilers or Poodles, it doesn't appear to involve restricted breeds. As other poster said, might be to determine if one or both are involved.

The media lately have loved labelling breeds ASAP & then not retracting or changing details once it becomes apparent that the dog/s involved are not what was first thought.

Rottweilers are one of those breeds that sadly have some media 'mileage' as there is a segment of society that thinks they are evil :(

Those poor people and dogs, that would have been terrifying for them. They are very lucky it stopped when it did.

Idiot owner for having no bloody idea. Rottweilers are the loveliest dogs, so obedient and well behaved unless d*$kheads with no idea create a dog such as these.

I saw the actual news report on tonight's news.. The injuries were pretty horrific.

It really makes you second guess walking down the street..

Lots of punctures & horrendous bruising, those poor people & their dogs.

I already am on high alert walking around our neighbourhood with a pram & a Rottweiler, there are a number of repeat offenders re roaming & thrashing against gates. It's not a relaxing experience a lot of the time

I'm our council's nightmare, I report everything. They're really good, quick to react (I see them driving around)

I saw the interview on the news last night. That poor couple. Just tragic for them. I thought the womans injuries were bad enough but they said her partner was awaiting surgery and one of the dogs was not expected to live. :(