I Feel Like I' M Being Manipulated ......

Hi Folks,

I need to vent and know if the following is not a one off, my favourite breed of dog is the english staffy....so I made an executive decision to pay the usual 1400 or so for my dream dog purebred etc......when i came across a litter and the registered breeder agreed to sell a pup to me but only on the conditions of not showing him or breeding him fine by me i only ever wanted him in our family none of theses things had crossed my mind ....so further on i thought hang on what am i paying for papers for if i can not atleast get a pup from him when he is 5 /6 years old so as to continue his line in our family, i regretted not doing this with our last dog, i was told no....ok fine whatever just have to enjoy our new member. Then the breeder comes at me with ill take 300 off the price if i can show him under her name, and he can sire, everytime he sires she will give me 100 cash......when i said im not comfortable she said she would give me my money back.... is it because im a single mum (who is very awesome with dogs) or am i being manipulated the whole scene is doing my head in please tell me what yall think bout this.....Thanks

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. She said she would sell you a dog with Limited Registration...... Normal

2. Pup was turning out better than she expected.......offered you a discount for co- ownership...nothing too sinister.

What would you 'carry on his line with' in regards to a female dog?

the basics ...

fine by me i only ever wanted him in our family none of theses things had crossed my mind

Yes it did. You then obviously told her about you wanting to breed him after she put conditions on the dog.

You are paying for a pedigree dog which is someones pride and joy, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears attached to the kennel name. Most STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER breeders will not want their dogs pimped to within an inch of their lives by unregistered breeders - it's all too common just look at the local paper. It makes them and their dogs look very bad.

Then the breeder comes at me with ill take 300 off the price if i can show him under her name, and he can sire, everytime he sires she will give me 100 cash......when i said im not comfortable she said she would give me my money back.... is it because im a single mum (who is very awesome with dogs) or am i being manipulated the whole scene is doing my head in please tell me what yall think bout this.....Thanks

Maybe the breeder is trying to help you at least do things responsibly since you want to breed the dog and show you what should be done when breeding dogs. If you want it bred then show it, make sure it is a good enough example of the breed and that breeders will want to use it for a good reason.

I would have refunded your money too.

I think it is you that is trying to manipulate the situation.

You want a pet, you agree to get a pet. Then you change your mind and want to show and breed....if I was the breeder I would have walked away from you then and there. But she agreed with conditions, and still you are not happy...

Make sure you stick to what you want before buying another puppy....saves the breeder pulling out and possibly warning other breeders not to deal with you.

It has nothing to do with you being single....its your chopping and changing your mind, and not knowing what you want that stopped the sale of the puppy.

Lynn

First of all , not "English" staffys.

The reason poeple here may come over as harsh is because the majority of dogs in the pound, who die are staffys, bred by people who "want a pup for the kids to see", 'think my dog is awesome so should have a litter". etc etc.

If you don't know the right name for the breed do you know what is a good speciman of the breed ? Can you pick a perfect match to breed with? Are you going to be responsible for all the pups you breed , then they go onto breed? Or are you fine with churning out pups who one day might die scared in a cage at the pound, go visit one and see. :(

I think people need to realise that saying 'I dont want to breed' and 'oh we'll only have one litter from him/her' do not mean the same thing. I dont want to breed means chip chop, no chance ever. One litter is still breeding. You just come across as a fibber really.

I think people need to realise that saying 'I dont want to breed' and 'oh we'll only have one litter from him/her' do not mean the same thing. I dont want to breed means chip chop, no chance ever. One litter is still breeding. You just come across as a fibber really.

Agree with this. Why can't people just enjoy a dog without having to "continue its line" :confused:

so further on i thought hang on what am i paying for papers for if i can not atleast get a pup from him when he is 5 /6 years old

Papers confirm you are getting a purebreed. You are not paying for papers in case you want to breed. Most puppies are sold as pets and sold on limited register (no showing or breeding).

What the breeder offered seems pretty normal to me.

You should be able to pick up another dog that's related to your boy from your breeder in time to come. You don't need your boy to sire a litter to have a pup related to him!!

:thumbsup:

There are plenty of good Staffordshire breeders out there, buy your puppy, have him desexed and enjoy him as a pet.

Unless your are seriously interested in showing, then, and IF, your dog is good enough he might be able to be used at stud.

First of all , not "English" staffys.

The reason poeple here may come over as harsh is because the majority of dogs in the pound, who die are staffys, bred by people who "want a pup for the kids to see", 'think my dog is awesome so should have a litter". etc etc.

If you don't know the right name for the breed do you know what is a good speciman of the breed ? Can you pick a perfect match to breed with? Are you going to be responsible for all the pups you breed , then they go onto breed? Or are you fine with churning out pups who one day might die scared in a cage at the pound, go visit one and see. :(

I am not 'having a go' with this comment as it is true, but i was looking at a rescue site the other day and there was a dog in the pound on death row and they even stated what his kennel name was on his papers that they had! This 'ethical' registed breeder obviously just didn't give a s^&t that one of her pups was going to die in a pound :mad:cry:

Being a country person i am sick of ppl just assuming what they percieve as byb as the only ppl who allow this to happen. I know many ppl who bred their working dogs purely for that sake and made sure they knew where their pups were going and how they were going to be treated. Just because they are not registered or show dogs doesn't make these ppl automatically bad.

Im sorry, but did you just say you wanted a pup out of him?? you come on a forum that supports the practice of ethical breeding and does not support the practice of BYB and you just pretty much admitted that you want to breed a dog without being a breeder yourself or have any experience in ethical breeding.

Second of all you are contradicting the "not showing him or breeding him fine by me i only ever wanted him in our family none of these things had crossed my mind"...

If you want to carry the line let the breeder do it, but after this statement I will be surprised if the breeder even sells you a pup.

:mad

Edited by GussysMum

you do know there are several health tests you need to do before breeding from your boy, you do know if you refuse to do such health tests and he sires a pup that is affected then you are liable and can be sued. You must know these things because you are awesome. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you just don't take your beautiful puppy home & love him as a family pet, & down the track if you want to add a 2nd pup to your family from similar lines to this pup, I'm sure your breeder could sell your another puppy in the future. :)

If you feel you must have a puppy sired from this pup then there is still the option of taking the breeders offer of co-ownership, where the breeder will then be able to decide if he is suitable for breeding from. :)

So you want to potentially breed this pup.....did you know that over a 6 year period 1 female dog + 1 male dog + their offspring can produce 67,000 puppies!! But that's okay, you just want to continue 'the line' a line that breeder has put her blood sweat and tears into it, but that's okay, this is for you. You just want a puppy. What about the other puppies that eventuate out of a mating, maybe the people want to do the same as you and so on and so forth, that's how 67,000 puppies are born.

Yes we all started out somewhere but you just have to be aware of what breeding involves. Are you willing to take on an 8 year old dog you bred because she's too old, we re moving, we have a child, she's sick, etc etc? Did you know that in the US 25% of dogs in shelters are purebred, that over half of the healthy animals in shelters are euthanised because there are just not enough homes?

Breeding is so much more than wanting a puppy from my "extra pecial beautiful dogs"

I think the breeders offer was reasonable, she reduced the price and even offered to give you cash back IF she chooses to use him in her breeding program,chances are she wouldn't unless he was a spectacular example of the breed and passed all health clearances required to breed with a Staffordshire Bull Terrior.

Just some food for thought :)

Edited by TrinaJ