When You Leave The House

Vickie

208 members have voted

1. 1. When you are out, are your dogs...

• In the house loose
    • Crated in the house
    • Loose in the backyard
    • In runs inside garage or shed
    • In runs outside
    • Some contained, some not
    • Other

Zero is outside during the day with access to the garage in case it's hot. In my house the garage is the coolest place to be if it's hot - it's well insulated.

Yep, that's the same here! When i'm out, Lot has free access to the yard, as well as the garage (and i'm pretty sure she spends 90% of the time sleeping in there!).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sucks for you then, I have a dog that sleeps all night no drama but is very active all day.

Because night is a known sleep time where the whole world sleeps. Daytime isn't all about sleeping for all dogs (although most would do it out of boredom).

I think it's cruel to be locked away for so much of their life.

How is it any different to crating the dog for 12hrs overnight? The dog doesn't know the difference, just knows it needs to pee when you get home :laugh:

Ours are outside during the day, at night one is crated and the other had run of the house (until he broke the curtains) so now he's down the back in the 'dog room'

Tell that to my dogs :rofl:

dogs are normally most active early in the morning and later at night (dawn and dusk)... and sleep most of the day if we aren't around.

Mine has access to a small part of the house during the day (where there are no powercords or things she can destroy) and also the backyard through a dog door.

I answered 'other' as it depends on the weather and how long I'll be gone.

Bruno is fine loose in the house or the yard. He's neither a chewer, a barker or a digger. He is a sleeper though.:sleep: He's only really active in the early morning and the early evening. I leave him wherever is most comfortable for sleeping. With temperatures around 40 degrees here for the next week, he'll be left inside the cool house if I go out. I'm looking at installing a dog door too, so that there is flexibilty for him to alternate between sunbaking and cooling off go to the toilet freely, instead of holding on. ;)

PS Cointreau, I love that you 'leave a kennel.' :p

Our dogs have the freedom to come and go when they choose. Only one is secured in a crate whilst we are all out which in generally very rare as there are five people living here. However on the odd occasion that happens my dog is crated but only generally for a couple of hours at the most. That is if I cannot take my dog with me.

I can't vote because we use more than one option. If we are gone for a short time, some are left in the house, some crated, some free in the yards, some in the kennels and some are in the kennels in the shed.

If we are gone for an extended period of time, some are in the yards, some locked in the kennels and some are in the kennels in the garage,

Elsie is currently crated while I am out, as I am too scared to leave her in the back yard. In the next couple of days I will start leaving her out for small periods of time in the laundry behind a baby gate to see how she copes, and she will hopefully be left loose in the laundry by mid next month when I am at uni.

Mine are in the backyard when we're out, unless I'm just ducking to the shops or something in which case they can stay inside.

I can't leave mine inside for 9 hours while I'm at work, they get bored and find things to entertain themselves. They both enjoy being outside and I believe there is more stimulation for them out there (things going on in the neighbourhood, bugs and birds, neighbours coming and going, smells in the air, the ability to run around and play and dig and snorkel in the water bowl).

Mine are even out there in inclement weather, they have plenty of shelter. Whether they choose to use it or not is another matter :)

Other. He generally stays on the back deck. Technically he has access to the yard but he won't go down the stairs.

If I'm only popping out for a little bit and he's already in the yard then he's left out there.

Both dogs are always in the backyard loose all day (untill we get home) if there is thunder and lightning we will bring them in, but there is a big porch with covering so they both usually just snuggle under there together, they also have all their toys there soo they will often engage in a game of tug-o-war. :)

Ours is outside during the day (can section backyard off to undercover smaller area, or open a gate for the whole backyard, but mostly its the whole backyard).

I can't imagine what would happen if i left him inside alone - im forever telling him "Leave it!" when im there, i think he'd eat every single sock in the house. (He is only 5 months though!)

Edited by NOCTRL

I voted outside during the day but in extreme weather, too hot/cold or thunder e.t.c. inside they come. Air con goes on in the warmer months.Our yard is very secure & I always have the only gate to it padlocked.

When we are caravaning they have cool coats & light winter/ rain coats. Our van is air conned which we use mainly during those hot summers nights or the heater on in the winter. We are not inside the van much during

the day when we are away. Usually off boating somewhere. Just try to make sure my 2 are as comfortable as possible. :)

Edited by BC Crazy