When You Leave The House

Vickie

208 members have voted

1. 1. When you are out, are your dogs...

• In the house loose
    • Crated in the house
    • Loose in the backyard
    • In runs inside garage or shed
    • In runs outside
    • Some contained, some not
    • Other

Barkley is always inside when no one is home. Acheron is always outside, unless the weather is bad then we put Barkley in our room and let Acheron have the rest of the house, Flash takes turns at staying with the boys, mostly outside but sometimes in.

When we are home they can choose where they want to be via the doggy door :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To my dogs there is no difference between night and day they just sleep creatures of habit :shrug: When I am out they sleep they don't give a crap if it's day or night.I dont crate my dogs but don't find it appalling if others do.Each to their own.

Depends on the dog and depends on the time of day and weather, although after the snake incident they have all been inside when we aren't home recently and I think it might stay that way. Holly gets the run in the house, Ruby has a room and Poppy used to be outside, but that's changed to a crate for the time being until I can work something better out, I am tempted to limit her and Holly to part of the house but I'm not sure I can trust Poppy. We aren't all back at work/uni yet so the longest she's been in there has been 5 or so hours when we have gone out as a family for dinner.

I would rather see dogs in crates when their owners aren't home, and part of the family when the owners are there with plenty of training and excercise than a dog who spends all of its time in a backyard with limited stimulation or attention.

ETA: And baby Panda is in the laundry for the moment until she's 100% house trained.

Edited by Lyndsay

I said in the backyard but it really depends - we are never gone long and if the weather is bad they may be inside. Bertie in his crate and Katie asleep on her bed in the family room (she gets comfy and doesn't seem to move).

I voted - in runs in the backyard - but it does depend on the weather, on the time of day etc.

But basically our dogs have day runs and night kennels. Morning they go out into their day runs (which are pretty large) all have a shed or some other type of shelter. Of a night time, all except two of the dogs go into the kennels which are in the garage. We have one house dog who always stays in the house, and two yard dogs who always stay in the yard, though not always in their day yards, they get moved about a lot.

Mine is in a little play area we made up on the deck, his crate is in it and a shell sandpit that he loves digging in and i hide his toys in it for hIm to find :-) I only leave him in it at the moment for the when I go out and for his alone time/my housework time during the day. When I do back to work he will be in this area for 6hrs..

Edit missing letter..

Edited by mumof4girls

I voted loose in the backyard. I can't leave Kyojin in the house because we have two indoor cats and I don't want to risk it, regardless of how well they get along. (Wouldn't do it with any dog). But he's also safe in the yard and doesn't get bored. I have him inside with us when we're home, which is the majority of the time as I only work a few hours a week and OH's a shift worker and most of his hours are at night when I'd be home no matter what.

I voted "other". My two are in the bathroom when I'm out. It's beautifully cool, and the most secure room in the house. Occasionally Mr Staffy freaks out and smashes things....like himself, windows etc.

I voted other. My two have access to the yard and the house via dog door. They aren't allowed the whole run of the house when I am out and only a small yard. When I am home they have access to an acre or more.

mine are all different

Ons, Tilly and flash are in a pen under the house

Latte is in a covered pen out the back with some of my housemate's coolies unless it is raining and then her pen is needed for the coolies that would be in an outside pen normally so she is crated inside

Mocha is crated inside with the air conditioning on

all seem happy with the arrangement

My dogs are in the backyard when we're not home. If there's bad weather, then we let them have access to the kitchen via a doggy door. If we're only ducking to the shops, then we'll leave them in the house with access to the yard - I wouldn't leave them unattended in the house. They're not destructive but they'd probably sleep on the sofa and bed when they know they're only supposed to do that if invited up :laugh:

When Elbie was a young puppy, he was crated when we left the house, mostly because the yard of our previous house wasn't entirely puppy proof and he was so small we worried he'd just vanish. These days, the crates are just used for sleeping - with the door open.

I voted other, too. BC is inside 24/7 atm due to recovering from a cruciate surgery. Otherwise the dogs are let in and out throughout the day. weather permitting.

At least One dog is always out to guard the chickens.

Night time they are either in a ' chicken compound' with a sheltered shed thing, on the back verandah or inside (possibly on a bed... shhh!)