What Fruit And Veges Do Your Dogs Like

pirate

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful photos Kirislin!

My girl loves pears - especially the cores. Not that fussed on other fruit and veg really, but has a bit of a carb obsession - toast in particular.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason that dogs should not eat grapes isn't because of the fruit itself, it's the sulfides that they use on them to help them keep better in the stores/transit. Sultanas and other dried fruit can be worse as they contain sulfides in higher levels.

*edited because I can't spell "sulfides"!

Edited by WeimMe

Sweet potato is my tibbie girls' daily staple. Nutritionally rich vegetable. The vet told me that he often recommends it for the diets of dogs that have skin conditions. Mine don't. But since I've added sweet potato, the groomer has asked me what am I feeding my girls, because of the healthy state of their fur.

Mita, do you cook it or grate it into their food raw?

I dice the sweet potato and cook it in the microwave. It's a staple part of their main meal every day.

I also keep some of those cooked dices in the fridge. The girls will eat them like treats.

Sweet potato is my tibbie girls' daily staple. Nutritionally rich vegetable. The vet told me that he often recommends it for the diets of dogs that have skin conditions. Mine don't. But since I've added sweet potato, the groomer has asked me what am I feeding my girls, because of the healthy state of their fur.

Mita, do you cook it or grate it into their food raw?

I dice the sweet potato and cook it in the microwave. It's a staple part of their main meal every day.

I also keep some of those cooked dices in the fridge. The girls will eat them like treats.

My pug pretty much loves everything except lettuce and cucumber. I think they are too watery/tasteless for her because if I dip cucumber into peanut butter she will eat it lol

I usually take a carrot out with us if I go to a cafe or something and she will quietly sit under the table and munch away. People are usually amazed that she's eating a carrot and it makes me wonder if people don't generally feed their dogs veggies or fruit?

Does popcorn count as a vegetable?!!! Mita introduced us to sweet potato and both our tibbies eat it. I'm not sure they love it but it has done wonders for our tibbie's skin allergies and stomach ailments. I also feed brocoli, carrot and peas which they tolerate but I don't think we have dogs that love veggies and fruit ( a bit like our kids!).

I keep our fruit in a roll top bread bin or Nash (GSP) will steal it. He eats anything that we do, favourite treat for all the dogs is the stem from the broccoli. Jester (basset) is not too sure about some things but if Nash will eat it he will too.

Nash will also forage so now my parents have put their vegie patch behind a fence. He is quiet happy to pick his own tomatoes, peas, lettuce etc for himself. He even nibbles Mums curry bush.

Edited by BJ.

Yep and I wish my Mac and Andy would stop bringing half eaten nectarines and apricots inside, through the doggie door! :rolleyes:

Mine eat just about anything and I wish Mac would stop picking the ripe strawberries out of the garden

Our Apricot tree was hectic this year and Mosley was loving it, we were regularly finding half eaten apricots or apricot seeds on the couch or the rug in the lounge :mad

I often wonder about the prey diet some people put their dogs on, is it meat only because this thread proves dogs eat alot more than just meat.

I think the thought of dogs just eating meat is very primal....dogs have access to every food under the sun now... back in the day im not so sure they had ready access to carrots and pears :) meat would be the only thing running around.... I think this thread confirms that dogs like fruits and veggies a lot more then we do!!