Reasons Not To Own Your Breed

Salukifan

Some of these are Classic :rofl:

Don't get a Dobermann if -

You cant handle little black hairs on everything, and ever want to remove them.

You want the postman to leave you parcels instead of throwing them over your fence.

You can handle a 35kg + Velcro Dog that wants to be on you beside you, under you... generally in your clothes with you if possible.

You don't want to ... throw the ball.... throw the ball..... THROW THE BALL!!

Your not happy to cradle your emotionally fractured dog because he cant understand why people/cats/children/other dogs are afraid of him.

(yours is docked) - Your not happy for people to drop what ever they are doing and come up to you and harass you in the street as to how/why your dog has a docked tail, with no concern for your personal space or your dogs.

You have a European dobermann and are happy to be constantly asked what he is crossed with or be told he isn't a Dobermann because of his size.

You don't want people to tell you off for having a "vicious" dog out in public - Yep it happens :(

You don't want a dog that convinces you they are dumb as a post then cos you let your guard down suddenly comes up with some scary smart plan to get what they want.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read something on a Wei forum this morning that really rang true to me...

so... a condensed version...

Weimaraners are hunting dogs. The behavioural issues and concerns that regular owners have with their Weimaraners are probably the traits that, when utilised correctly, Hunters look for and encourage.Be prepared to get a dog that may have all those traits, and be prepared to deal with them. If you can't or don't want to, don't get a Weimaraner.

Great example of talk back!!! :)

That is one well trained owner! 'I'll call you and if you don't come I'll call you again or else!! I'll call you again.

Exactly, whilst i can see how this vid can be funny, it is also a classic example of being walked all over :( The comand 'come' obv means nothing to the dog, come to this dog means yep i can sit on the couch and back chat. Then when the dog finally did come over she is going reward the naughty behaviour?

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud, i have never owned a Husky and have heard they are hard to train but i would still not put up with that.

Let's see...

Don't own a dalmatian if...

You aren't willing to put up with the pig-headedness :3

They are stubborn as anything.

You don't enjoy snow..

They don't shed, they SNOW hair, all year.

You think spots aren't fashionable.

Cause baby, they are alll about the spots *Z-click*

You enjoy having your own bed...and lap.

They LOVE being with you and all over you.

You hate exercise.

They LOVE to run.

You have small, chase-able objects.

See above.

You don't want to get argued with.

They will let you know what they think.

You enjoy fresh air

Dear LAWD they can drop some nasty stinks.

You like having a white dog

So far, my two have LOVED to dig and get nice and muddy.

Well, that's my two cents.

Reguardless, I still love my baby more than anything :3

Edit: More

You aren't willing to be careful with food

Since dals are prone to uric problems

You aren't willing to get specific shampoo's and skin products

Sensitive skin!

You don't have much money

They will chew through your wallet...literally and figuratively.

+1

Addition - Dont get a Dalmatian if you are not prepared to spend every single day drilling it into their smart little spotted brain that your boss :)

The Newfoundland Many people perceive them to be a dog of beauty, grace and overall excellence. There is a large case that goes against choosing this breed of dog to let into your house as it may in the long run prove to be a misguided choice and a major mistake.

The main reason people often choose a Newfoundland as their breed of choice is down to their graceful nature and show dog appearance. With any show dog however, it is important not to assume this is the overall way the dog looks as these looks come from hours upon hours of grooming and special treatment, in much the same way a model is prepped before a catwalk show. A Newfoundland is actually by nature a scrappy dog, often bringing in lots of dirt and grime along the way. It's character should be driven by it's inner self and not of it's outer beauty.

Another reason to reconsider the 'Newfie' as a breed of dog is down to it's personality. A Newfie by nature is a dog that likes constant companionship as they are bred to be a working dog around numerous other animals and humans, so if you feel as though your dog would be spending more time in the backyard and relegated most of the time to a kennel, then definitely do not go out of your way to make your choice for a Newfie. This is also the case if you do not intend to train your dog in anyway.

A Newfie is a dog where training should be seen as compulsorily, even with basic commands of 'sit', 'stay' and 'drop' as it is nearly an impossible task to control a dog the size of a Newfie without any form of formal training. Extensive dog training courses are recommended in order to control your pooch. This comes down then also the self leadership amongst the owner and the ability to give your dog space at times too.

A Newfie responds dramatically to its owner if they feel the owner is in complete control, as Newfie's are by nature pack bred and will seek to take control if the owner can't bring their own control to the relationship. Newfie's too can go from being overtly affectionate to almost completely independent, so you must be prepared to expect both sides of the equation with the dog if you do make the choice to own one.

Another aspect against the ownership of a Newfie comes down to the mess they created. With their thick shaggy coat and tendency to drool significantly, it can be quite a task to constantly clean up after them if you aren't used to a messy dog. This also is the case with constant grooming as their coat requires a constant grooming schedule to maintain a happy pet.

As with all dogs, exercise is also key in keeping their spirits up, and Newfie's are renowned as a highly physical breed with constant exercise a must in keeping their spirits high.

Finally, Newfie's aren't the best dog if your sole reason on getting one is for protection, and they are also not the cheapest dog to maintain.

That is one well trained owner! 'I'll call you and if you don't come I'll call you again or else!! I'll call you again.

Exactly, whilst i can see how this vid can be funny, it is also a classic example of being walked all over :( The comand 'come' obv means nothing to the dog, come to this dog means yep i can sit on the couch and back chat. Then when the dog finally did come over she is going reward the naughty behaviour?

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud, i have never owned a Husky and have heard they are hard to train but i would still not put up with that.

Then please don't ever get a husky, under normal circumstances the owner shouldn't have kept calling the dog when it didn't come the first time but the video was obviously played for laughs. But the reality is that if you expect obedience don't get a husky, it doesn't matter how good a trainer you are you will never guarentee 100% obedience with this breed. My dog knows heaps of tricks and will do them on command most of the time but if he doesn't feel like doing it no force on earth can (or should) make him, they are not a biddable breed it is not bred into them to be continually seeking direction from humans.

Here's another fairly typical example:

Don't get a German Shepherd unless you want a very large, bouncy puppy that takes years to grow up (if ever) and may have strong protective/territorial instincts.

Don't get a Border Collie unless you want a dog that needs a vocation (although that may be herding, agility, "mustering" tennis balls or even just taking care of his/her people).

Don't get a Siamese or Balinese cat unless you want a velcro pet.

Don't get a Siberian Husky unless you want a dog that has its own agenda.

Seriously, I loved that about my husky, as well as the fascinating behavioural differences between her and other dogs I have owned. I also loved the challenge of innovative training (and yes, you can have an obedience trained husky, but you are unlikely to have a reliably obedient husky.) However, I will probably never have another husky because I like to be able to relax while my dogs run free, and you cannot do that with a husky. Also, my girl had extremely strong predatory instincts... she was trained not to chase cats or livestock in my presence, but I would never have trusted her alone with those animals.

Here's another fairly typical example:

rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif

Good grief I have tears in my eyes!! I LOVE the reaction you get, as if your a complete fool! And I really love the dog on the chair who casually begins to preen itself as if it didn't even hear you at all!! laugh.gif

Just quietly I think intelligent disobedient dogs are hilarious, but I couldn't own one for the frustration of day to day life :)

Don't get a German Shepherd unless you want a very large, bouncy puppy that takes years to grow up (if ever) and may have strong protective/territorial instincts.

Don't get a Border Collie unless you want a dog that needs a vocation (although that may be herding, agility, "mustering" tennis balls or even just taking care of his/her people).

Don't get a Siamese or Balinese cat unless you want a velcro pet.

Don't get a Siberian Husky unless you want a dog that has its own agenda.

Seriously, I loved that about my husky, as well as the fascinating behavioural differences between her and other dogs I have owned. I also loved the challenge of innovative training (and yes, you can have an obedience trained husky, but you are unlikely to have a reliably obedient husky.) However, I will probably never have another husky because I like to be able to relax while my dogs run free, and you cannot do that with a husky. Also, my girl had extremely strong predatory instincts... she was trained not to chase cats or livestock in my presence, but I would never have trusted her alone with those animals.

That is so true. I let my girl off at the beach but me and OH can't sit and just watch her and relax we are both on our toes ready to run after her (thankfully it has not yet happened :thumbsup: ). My newly adopted husky is another story :laugh: probably won't ever let her off unless I was confident I could trust her not to run :)

I just saw it for what it was.....funny :shrug:

Let's see...

Don't own a dalmatian if...

You aren't willing to put up with the pig-headedness :3

They are stubborn as anything.

You don't enjoy snow..

They don't shed, they SNOW hair, all year.

You think spots aren't fashionable.

Cause baby, they are alll about the spots *Z-click*

You enjoy having your own bed...and lap.

They LOVE being with you and all over you.

You hate exercise.

They LOVE to run.

You have small, chase-able objects.

See above.

You don't want to get argued with.

They will let you know what they think.

You enjoy fresh air

Dear LAWD they can drop some nasty stinks.

You like having a white dog

So far, my two have LOVED to dig and get nice and muddy.

Well, that's my two cents.

Reguardless, I still love my baby more than anything :3

Edit: More

You aren't willing to be careful with food

Since dals are prone to uric problems

You aren't willing to get specific shampoo's and skin products

Sensitive skin!

You don't have much money

They will chew through your wallet...literally and figuratively.

+1

Addition - Dont get a Dalmatian if you are not prepared to spend every single day drilling it into their smart little spotted brain that your boss :)

Hahaha, ain't that the truth. Those bloody cheeky spots. Can't help but love 'em.

I just discovered another addition to this.

Don't own a dalmatian if you love black coloured items of bedding or clothing

Just fitted new black sheets on my bed...2 nights later, they are covered in white.

Those hairs are so hard to get out!

I didn't put any "don'ts" for Aussie Shepherds before but a couple of weeks later I have some :D... (and yes I was warned about them).

Don't get an Aussie Shepherd (at least a Blue Merle with 1 blue and 1 brown eye) unless you don't mind:

CONSTANTLY being asked "what kind of dog is THAT?" and hearing "oh look at the different coloured eyes!"

And anything at all within mouth reach being destroyed! Again, I was warned but it turns out they are very clever at figuring out how to get hold of things you thought they had no chance of reaching...

Edited by Saxonpup

German Wirehaired Pointers are clowns, they make you smile, they might try to talk to you/manipulate you with their array of vocal sounds. They are of course gun dogs, are bred to perfection and excel in that field. If you live in the bush, and a gate is left open, they might run away and follow scents.

They make top pets/watchdogs, they need a firm hand/good training, they are not lazy, they need lots of exercise.

As a bonus, you get a very elegant and charming dog, that loves to prance and show off. We have owned dogs of this breed since the first litter was bred in Australia, and never had one affected by tick paralysis, we find ticks engorged with blood just fall off, shrivel up and die.

If you don't like any of the above, stay away from that breed. ;) ;)

Anyhow, great thread, love all your piccies.

Edited by gwp4me

Don't get a stafford if you don't like farting....

I am sure it is an unwritten part of the breed standard, as has been mentioned on DOL many times over the years.

Most will insist on sharing everything with you... Your meals, bed, lounge, shoes and their slobbery toys..

They also consider themselves lap dogs... So if you don't like sharing everything Staffords are not for you.

Believe it or not they shed... Thousands of tiny little eyelash length hairs are everywhere and in everything.

I use a dyson and still manage to serve dinner with Staffy hair occasionally...

Hahaha :)

Don't get AmStaffies if...

1. You don't like when dogs lick

2. Definitely don't like farting/burping

3. You want to play/practice any sport that involves a ball (I was just shooting netball in my front yard and Harley was very helpful... If trying to pop my ball is helpful! Lol

4. You want to keep your house clean and leave things around, Bella likes to steal everything!

5. You don't like short spikey hairs in everything you own

6. If you like using the hose without watching dog acrobatics

7. If you don't want dogs that think you are part of the chair

8. Don't like being given consistent attention/affection/love

9. Are a worry wart! Lol recently there have been dog thefts in my area so I am paranoid about everyone at the moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to burp and fart (not necessarily in that order). Maybe I need to change my breed of choice?

:laugh: haha damn it, think I confused myself :p

I didn't put any "don'ts" for Aussie Shepherds before but a couple of weeks later I have some :D... (and yes I was warned about them).

Don't get an Aussie Shepherd (at least a Blue Merle with 1 blue and 1 brown eye) unless you don't mind:

CONSTANTLY being asked "what kind of dog is THAT?" and hearing "oh look at the different coloured eyes!"

And anything at all within mouth reach being destroyed! Again, I was warned but it turns out they are very clever at figuring out how to get hold of things you thought they had no chance of reaching...

Have you been asked "Oh so is he/she blind in that eye?" yet?

Edited by Lyndsay