Where Is Your Dog?

Staff'n'Toller

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your dog's access when you're not there?

• Free yard access
    • Dog run/part yard access
    • Free yard + house
    • Run/part yard + house
    • In the house only
    • In a comfy crate in the house

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My little fellow has free access to all the yard and access to the laundry via a doggy door. I'm preety sure he only comes into the laundry for naps and spends the rest of his time "patrolling" the yard. Thankfully (and unusually for a mini schnauzer) he isn't a barker and he seems quite happy with the whole arrangement.

Guest lavendergirl

My little fellow has free access to all the yard and access to the laundry via a doggy door. I'm preety sure he only comes into the laundry for naps and spends the rest of his time "patrolling" the yard. Thankfully (and unusually for a mini schnauzer) he isn't a barker and he seems quite happy with the whole arrangement.

Same - except mine is a barker no matter what I do :(

Mine have free access to the yard, plus there is a doggy door into our garage (which is the entire lower story of the house). When we're at home, they have access inside. Due to barking issues at night time, we've had to lock them in at night of late (we have new neighbours who come home at weird hours).

Spudd is outside while we are at work (he has the whole yard to himself) and then inside when we get home and sleeps inside too.

I wish i could leave him inside during the day but we are away for 8 hours every day (Monday-Friday) and he would get into so much mischief i reckon..

How do people go about letting their dogs run free in and out? don't they bring all the mud inside in winter?

we have to clean Spudd's paws every day in winter before he comes in.

Edited by Spudd

All three are inside when we are not home, with free access to downstairs only (have to love baby gates :D ). Our property is right on a main road, with 2m high ringlock fencing, but it is very public and our dogs will bark at the fence as people go past. We also have a lot of tradies around so I am a bit paranoid.

They are definitely inside when it is hot, and when there are thunderstorms. Baylee hates storms and will freak out.

Dee and Zeph are in crates when Dee is in season, secured with cable ties, as Zeph the bugger is a Houdini who knows how to open his and his sister's crate :rolleyes:

They usually go for a good walk before we leave, so they are asleep for most of the time that we are away.

Dally has free run of the house - he went back to bed before I left home this morning. Springer is transitioning from a large crate to the living area as she has developed a good off switch and sleeps all day. No access to bedrooms or study as she will collect shoes, socks and cat toys. Currently crated as I'm pretty sure she is on the verge of coming into season.

I do a lot of training and exercise with my dogs. They are more than happy to relax once I'm out of their hair :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Mostly just free yard access. They have a kennel in the yard and the Husky normally sleeps on top of the outdoor table. They also have access to the laundry where it's nice and cool, but the rest of the house is blocked off.

:offtopic: OK, totally off topic but your dogs have the most stunning markings, which are always shown beautifully in your signature :love::love:

My guys are on their own for 10 hours + on week days.

On nice days, they are both in our small backyard (terrace house) with toys, treat balls, trampoline beds, kennels...

On rainy days (because they won't use their kennels even though one of them really hates getting wet), Will has free run of the house with the cat. Penny (8 months) is confined to the bathroom with baby gate, because she doesn't hold her bladder all day (and I don't expect her too)

Ideally I'd like to have a doggie door fitted, but considering we live in small open plan terrace, I'm not sure how I'd restrict them to one area of the house (and prevent the cat from going out)

Olle is kept inside while we are out. Mostly because he was raised in an apartment and is therefore an inside dog but also because he is inclined to bark. He does not have the run of the house however and is confined to the back part of the house with the kitchen/bathroom/casual living areas.

Olle is kept inside while we are out. Mostly because he was raised in an apartment and is therefore an inside dog but also because he is inclined to bark. He does not have the run of the house however and is confined to the back part of the house with the kitchen/bathroom/casual living areas.

Years ago when I had more dogs and I worked (to support the devils lol) I had a kennel set up. Kennels opened to good grass runs and each dog had it's own kennel and run. Last 20 years has been just a couple of dogs so they go where I go.

Full access to the house and the yard - I leave the back door unlocked all the time (not ideal but he is a big puppy and barks really loud at strangers)...

Ollie was the same, when he was alive - he always had access to the house and the yard.

When we have fosters here, I tend to limit them to the yard and the laundry area when I am not home. The yard, laundry and my office when I am working at home (or the whole house and yard if I am home and not working)...