The Trial Has Begun

Crysti_Lei

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-28/kfc-shooting-accused-face-trial/3857734

The murder trial has begun for three men accused of killing a truck driver who was struck by a stray bullet from a gunfight in a western Sydney car park.Adel Elkobaili, 21, Mahmoud Mariam, 28, and a juvenile, now aged 20, appeared before the Supreme Court charged with murdering Canberra truckie Robert Knight as he drove along Milperra Road on June 25, 2009.

The three accused are also charged with affray, while the juvenile is charged with setting a van on fire.

They have denied the charges.

Giving his opening statement, crown prosecutor Pat Barrett told the jury two groups of men got into a fight at a Campbelltown shopping centre on the day of the gunfight.

The groups, one including Elkobaili and the juvenile and the other including Mariam, then arranged to meet at the KFC car park on Milperra Road later that night through a series of phone calls, Mr Barrett said.

When the groups met, they started firing at each other and a stray bullet hit Mr Knight as he drove past, killing him.

Mr Barrett said the court would hear Mariam fired the fatal bullet that hit Mr Knight.

The prosecutor argued while none of the accused intended to kill Mr Knight, this was irrelevant as they all had entered into an agreement to inflict grievous bodily harm on members of the opposing group.

"You may be sure none of the accused intended that Mr Knight, a person unknown to them, a passer-by, was to be killed," he said.

"[but] as a result of that agreement, the death of Robert Knight took place."

The trial continues before Justice Megan Latham.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Knight was an instructor at Belconnen Dog Obedience Club here in Canberra. He gave my Willow (rest in peace - that's her in my avatar)a third place in the Beginners class 'exams'. He had beautiful German Shepherds and was quite a character.

I had no words when this happened, i never got to meet bob but had a few 'pm' conversations with him and he was always so nice and helpfull. :o

I hope the trial dose not become to drawn out and that there is justice for bob and his family.

My thought's go to tha family through this time. :flower:

I can't believe it's taken this long to get to trial :(

Bob was a really really lovely guy, and jeeze he loved his beautiful dogs. I remember meeting one of his stunning boys at a Million Paws Walk when his bitch Jessie was in pup, and he gave us so much of his time talking to us about his dogs, their personalities, the activities he did with them. And I remember how pleased he was when the pups were born, and that some of them had inherited her "voice" :laugh: :cry:

He was such a credit to his chosen breed, not to mention to the dog world and society in general. Such an awful, senseless loss of life :(

The amount of time, effort and energy to help people with their dogs of all-breeds and types, he is especially missed by the GSD world. Again were he helped so many people.

My thoughts are with his wonderful wife, who supported him in his love of dogs.

The sad thing is that these <I don't know what to call them> things, will never, ever realise how many people loved and knew Kojack/Bob and were helped, inspired by him.

These things will never know how many children in hospital over Christmas, Bob made happy by visiting them dressed as Santa on Christmas morning, always accompanied by one of his beloved GSD's.

Still miss you mate at shows and trials.

These things will never know how many children in hospital over Christmas, Bob made happy by visiting them dressed as Santa on Christmas morning, always accompanied by one of his beloved GSD's.

Ah yes I remember him posting about this, he was a very good sort.

• 2 months later...

From the ABC News website today

"One of three people charged over the 2009 shooting death of Canberra truck driver Bob Knight has been found guilty of manslaughter.

The 66-year-old driver was killed when a stray bullet fired during a gunfight between two rival groups in a car park hit him in the head as he waited at traffic lights at Milperra, in Sydney's west.

A Sydney jury has acquitted all three of murder.

But one of them, 28-year-old Mahmoud Mariam, has been found guilty of manslaughter after allegedly firing the stray bullet.

One of the other accused - a teenager, who cannot be named - has been found guilty of affray and destroying property by means of fire."

http://www.news.com.au/national/man-guilty-of-truck-driver-bob-knights-death-after-carpark-shootout/story-e6frfkvr-1226369733652

A MAN involved in the carpark shootout that led to the tragic death of truck driver Bob Knight was today found guilty of killing the innocent victim.

A Supreme Court jury this morning found Mahmoud Mariam, 28, guilty of manslaughter for the 2009 shooting of Mr Knight, 66.

The Canberra truck driver was killed when he was hit by a stray bullet while driving along Milperra Rd at Bankstown in Sydney's west.

The Crown alleged Mariam fired the fatal bullet during an armed melee with a rival gang in a nearby KFC carpark.

Mr Knight was more than 100m away in his struck a .22 calibre bullet struck him in the head, killing him instantly.

After a marathon trial, the jury found Mariam and another alleged participant in the brawl, Adel Elkobaili, 21, not guilty of murdering Mr Knight.

A 20-year-old man, who cannot be identified as he was a juvenile at the time, was found guilty of affray and intentionally destroying property with fire, but was cleared of manslaughter.

Mariam and the 20-year-old will be sentenced at a later date.