Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

*Dons flame suit*

Never had kids and no intention of doing so, and please don't pass me your baby to hold because I simply don't understand why you'd want me to hold it, nor why you'd think I'd want to. Just because I was once one, doesn't mean I have to like them by default.

So why the "not renting to families with kids" etc.

This is just an acknowledgement that kids can be just as, if not more, destructive than dogs, so why should dog owners be treated as if they have leprosy when renting, yet there isn't even a 'child bond'.

As to the rest, there is a difference between disliking children, and choosing not to 'hang out with' them. I don't 'dislike' children, but I do dislike a lot of things that tend to come with them, in particular - noise and smell.

I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't want to sit next to a child on a plane, and would probably request not to.

If it's a baby, it is probably going to get stressed by the change in pressure, and wail, and is also highly likely to need to go to the toilet at some stage. With my superhuman sense of smell, the other end of the plane is close enough thanks. As to the wailing, while I would feel pity for the baby because it doesn't know why its ears hurt nor how to alleviate it, I would also want to be nowhere near that amount of constant and not very pleasant noise, which I'm afraid, would outweigh the pity.

If it's a toddler or a few years older, it will be bored out of it's brain stuck on a long flight and my patience for "but Muuuuummm..." (or any other repetitive whining) will run out long before doting mum's will.

If you have a well behaved child that will wait til the adults pause in conversation to say "Excuse me mummy"(or will interrupt to say excuse me, but then wait) , will play nicely with my dogs and cats and won't destroy my garden or shred the leaves of my plants, feel free to bring your child when you visit.

If you have a child who will do the 'excuse me mummy' thing over and over at the top of its lungs until you yell "WHAT?" everytime you have spent more than two seconds in conversation instead of focussed on them, and when not interrupting, will demolish whatever it can lay its hands on, chase the cats and pull the dog's tail, I'm probably not going to invite you more than once unless you are willing to leave said child at home until it grows out of this stage.

Having said all that, if a child, ANY child, was in genuine trouble, consider this a safe haven.

:) That's good to know.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not wanting to sit next to a baby on a long haul flight isn't about disliking kids.

I don't like kids either. People are different, some people dislike the things that other people like. Nothing about kids appeal to me, I find having conversations with them really boring and sometimes painful, I find the things kids get up to mostly annoying, and a lot of them are noisy and destructive. And I just don't like them. Just like some people don't like dogs and/or cats.

I would never wish anything bad to happen to anyone's kid, and I don't care that my friends have kids. Good on them if they're happy.

Why is this?

Because human nature is variable and there are some aspects of children that aren't very likeable, often starting with their parents.

You don't have to hate kids to ask not to be seated next to one on a long haul flight. They often don't make for a restful trip.

For the record - I don't hate kids. I don't love them either. They're little individuals and I can take them or leave them depending on their personalities and their parenting. :shrug: Frankly I feel the same way about dogs.

But if you want me to gush with unreserved affection and coo at something - show me a puppy. ;)

Now why couldn't I have put it all as succinctly as that? Nice to see you back! :)

How do you interact with children if required to? Do you acknowledge them or are you dismissive of them? :confused:

I know this was directed at someone else, but I'm going to borrow it. I treat them like people. I talk to them like I would anyone else, and strangely, they seem to like me, maybe because I don't talk down to them or baby them. If they are being annoying though, I'll employ any avoidance tactics I can.

If they are in my house and their parent is letting them run amok by repeating empty threats over and over while the bad behaviour is repeated (this has happened - dreadful parenting!), I will take over the disciplinary role if MY pets/plants/things are threatened. Kid cried but only because nobody had ever spoken to her like that before. I told her to buck up and stop her crying cos it wasn't going to get her anywhere. Good as gold for the rest of the visit, and even developed an interest in speaking to me - go figure. Shame mum was oblivious to the fact that her own lack of skills was creating her 'problem child'.

I like some kids more than others... Ones I don't know I don't really have an opinion on...

I have a wide variety of friends and most have kids.

There are some that have manners and are a joy to have around. Then there are the ones who constantly interrupt their parents conversation, annoy the dog, touch things that are not theirs and are genuinely a PITA to have around..

I also dislike some parents attempts to justify this sort of behaviour.. No manners is simply no manners...

I have taken to wearing my iPod shopping so I don't have to listen to kids whining or mucking up on their parents... Public displays of bratiness have always irked me... Now I can't hear them so I don't care how much they scream...

If children are as well mannered and under control as my dogs in public, then I have no problem with them whatsoever ;)

I don't dislike kids, but I do dislike unruly kids that get in my space in public (in the same manner I dislike unruly dogs that get in my space).

And no, I don't like being seated near children on a plane - I have had my fair share of being kicked in the back, slapped in the face by a wiggling child, crawled over and screamed next to to know it is something I don't enjoy.

I have god children and did my fair share of baby sitting (and leading them astray in fun games), I even have step children (now fully grown - who are the most wonderful people on this earth) but having children of my own is not my thing.

If I were a dog I would be considered 'pet quality' and desexed and placed in a pet home....oh yeah....I am!! :laugh:

And no, my dogs are NOT my 'furkids'.

Edited by espinay2

Why is this?

Because human nature is variable and there are some aspects of children that aren't very likeable, often starting with their parents.

You don't have to hate kids to ask not to be seated next to one on a long haul flight. They often don't make for a restful trip.

For the record - I don't hate kids. I don't love them either. They're little individuals and I can take them or leave them depending on their personalities and their parenting. :shrug: Frankly I feel the same way about dogs.

But if you want me to gush with unreserved affection and coo at something - show me a puppy. ;)

Now why couldn't I have put it all as succinctly as that? Nice to see you back! :)

How do you interact with children if required to? Do you acknowledge them or are you dismissive of them? :confused:

I know this was directed at someone else, but I'm going to borrow it. I treat them like people. I talk to them like I would anyone else, and strangely, they seem to like me, maybe because I don't talk down to them or baby them. If they are being annoying though, I'll employ any avoidance tactics I can.

If they are in my house and their parent is letting them run amok by repeating empty threats over and over while the bad behaviour is repeated (this has happened - dreadful parenting!), I will take over the disciplinary role if MY pets/plants/things are threatened. Kid cried but only because nobody had ever spoken to her like that before. I told her to buck up and stop her crying cos it wasn't going to get her anywhere. Good as gold for the rest of the visit, and even developed an interest in speaking to me - go figure. Shame mum was oblivious to the fact that her own lack of skills was creating her 'problem child'.

This is pretty much what I will do if required with other peoples kids in my care or in my home. It creates a mutual respect. Oh, and the question was open. :)

I love being around kids, as they give me an excuse to act like one :laugh: I love the fact that you can teach them and guide them, as they have an exhausting thirst for knowledge and such an enthusiasm to new things, and brilliant imaginations.

However, I cannot be around them 24/7 because I like my own quiet time too much :eek: I don't have the patience to be constantly pestered anymore, hence I do not have any of my own. I just borrow them to keep me in touch with my juvenile side.

I have three dogs who also pester and demand attention, but I can tell them no and they listen. Or I can put them in the backyard or send them to their bed/crate, and it is not against the law.

No, they are not replacement children, they are dogs, much loved dogs, but the same training principles apply to both. :thumbsup:

Its funny but because you don't have kids, some people expect you to be a numpty with them, particularly with babies.

I've had the odd smug mum shove a baby at me and expect me to recoil in terror. You know the type.. they push a pram through a crowd and expect it to part for them like Moses and the Red Sea. Whip out a boob to feed anywhere, anytime and glare at anyone who mightn't enjoy the show. Oh and change their babies in the MOST inappropriate places. They love the pity laden statement "so Telida, YOU never had children did you". Hard to resist not answering "yes, but I ate them at birth" sometimes.

I have a much younger brother who I fed, burped, changed nappies on and babysat a lot. I did the same for kids of family friends. They hold no terror for me.

But my biological clock is digital... has never ticked. I tell baby brother its his fault - cured me for life.

If your kids have a modicum of manners and a modicum of intelligence, I'll be quite happy to chat to them. God knows I pay enough taxes to support other peoples' kids, I certainly don't need to have any of my own. ;)

I just borrow them to keep me in touch with my juvenile side.

I have my OH for that ;)

They love the pity laden statement "so Telida, YOU never had children did you". Hard to resist not answering "yes, but I ate them at birth" sometimes.

:rofl: OMG, sorry but I'm stealing that!

I don't like kids. I don't want kids.

I like animals, because they don't require you to be stretched all over your body and poked and prodded and all that kinda stuff. icon_smile_mad.gifeek1.gif they don't whinge, you can train them, you don't have to worry about going to an M-rated movie with a dog because they're not allowed.........

I absolutely agree with whoever said that you won't invite someone over if their kid is always interrupting...I have a friend like that...the kid is always climbing on her, talking, whinging, making noise and asking for things. I feel like I have to talk over the kid so I feel rude too frown.gif

I feel ill when I hear babies crying. I start going insane if they're crying for extended periods of time. (I don't know if it could have something to do with the fact that when my little brother was about 6 months old and I was 15, I was babysitting for about 2 hours. He had been fed, had just got up from a sleep, was clean, etc. And he was still crying for AGES. I was cuddling him and saying it's ok and put him down but that made him worse - tried everything!!! And he wouldn't settle. I think since then I've been completely well and truly put off ever having kids embarrass.gif )

I like kids when they're old enough to have a conversation with, not when they sit there like a stunned mallet. My little brother (now 6) is better than me at talking on the phone - will ask you about your life, what's been happening, etc. it's awesome laugh.gif he visited the in-laws with my parents a little while ago and my nieces were also there (similar ages, slightly older) and while they were running amok he was either sitting quietly with the adults or sitting quietly with the girls (or playing politely!). So I like well-behaved kids.

There's also a little girl at church who's my brother's age and she always comes up to me and says hi and asks how I'm going and then goes to play with her friends again, giggling the whole time biggrin.gif so cute.

RE: the plane situation - if they're going to be bawling/whinging/wriggling the whole time I'd go insane but if they're able to be quiet and sociable I wouldn't mind.

You'd have to be real keen to take kids on a plane IMO...small, enclosed space....small, loud children....close proximity to the public jawdrop.gif

I have a much younger brother who I fed, burped, changed nappies on and babysat a lot. I did the same for kids of family friends. They hold no terror for me.

But my biological clock is digital... has never ticked. I tell baby brother its his fault - cured me for life.

i'm going to borrow that.

I'm actually helpful to mums - pick up fallen toddlers on escalators (that's scarey when you've got a pusher too), help with prams, all that sort of thing.

I just ain't "into" kids. But some women are and that's fine by me. Vive la difference.

I'm not a fan of children and I call my dogs furkids... Guess I'm public enemy number one.

I like kids when they are old enough to have a proper conversation with you, but I have trouble with accents, so for me trying to understand baby talk is a nightmare and a lot of parents give you the death stare if you don't talk to their kids when they garble in your ear.

My brother turned 8 last year, I like him, so I guess around 7-8 is my liking point for kids :laugh:

As for any flight no i wouldn't like to be near them BUT there are many adults i would prefer not near me to.

The bad BO

The stinky smoker

The drinker who never stops & becomes a pain

The worse long haul experience man with snotty nose that danced whilst he slept up/down/up/down until he decided to roll 2 tissues & stuff them up there .

Although i recall a flight recently where the parent thought it was fun for there child to sit on them above there head ,apparently they didn't care that people wanted to watch the movies,they didn't care this child was in those peoples faces non stop nor did they care when it spewed on them ,but plenty of poor me (parents) & no sympathy from anyone affected by there actions .

I got thrown up on by a kid on a flight once.

Blessed with a strong stomach and some empathy, I only felt sorry for the poor girl. She was travelling unaccompanied and was quite distressed.

But I made the airline pay. :)

Edited by Telida Whippets

Its funny but because you don't have kids, some people expect you to be a numpty with them, particularly with babies.

I've had the odd smug mum shove a baby at me and expect me to recoil in terror. You know the type.. they push a pram through a crowd and expect it to part for them like Moses and the Red Sea. Whip out a boob to feed anywhere, anytime and glare at anyone who mightn't enjoy the show. Oh and change their babies in the MOST inappropriate places. They love the pity laden statement "so Telida, YOU never had children did you". Hard to resist not answering "yes, but I ate them at birth" sometimes.

If your kids have a modicum of manners and a modicum of intelligence, I'll be quite happy to chat to them. God knows I pay enough taxes to support other peoples' kids, I certainly don't need to have any of my own. ;)

That's interesting TW, I did exactly the same thing with my much younger sister and I now have no interest in ever having children.

It's not that I dislike children, I just have no interest in them at all and I do find them annoying a lot of the time.

I have four kids, but I'm not a great fan of ther people's. My kids have been raised to be respectful and have manners. They're not perfect or robots, but they're certainly not obnoxious monsters.

However we often seem to end up aquiring extras, neighbourhood kids, at community functions or dog shows etc and I hate being put in the position of having to provide for, control and look out for extras I haven't put my hand up for. Ask and give me a reasonable time frame and I will probably not have an issue keeping an eye on them. But if they muck up they will be told off and sent back asap.

I've had strange kids invade our camp at shows more times than I can count. I have also had things go missing, things thrown at my own kids or dogs, and been asked for food and to accompany these unknown small folk to the toilet! Grr.

Much as I wouldn't like people to fob their dogs off on me unannounced. Just cause I have kids, I don't want to share other people's.

Edited by Alyosha

That's interesting TW, I did exactly the same thing with my much younger sister and I now have no interest in ever having children.It's not that I dislike children, I just have no interest in them at all and I do find them annoying a lot of the time.

It's a situation common to quite a few women I know Bjelkier. Certainly child rearing holds no romance for you when there's a baby in the family when you're an older child.

Edited by Telida Whippets

It's usually not the kid that gets me irritated, it's the parents who don't give a toss if their kid is bothering you or not, or fails to stop whatever bratty behaviour the child is doing before it annoys someone.

I don't hate kids, I don't love all kids, I like some less and some more than others.

I would not tolerate a child being harmed and will intervene if it's necessary, but would not tolerate a child harming my son, or my dogs, someone elses child, or their animals or other property.

There's nothing wrong with asking to be moved if you are sitting next to someone you find irritating, If a person has a bad body odour, reeks of cigarettes or alcohol and I'm sitting next to them on a flight, I'd ask to be moved, if they had a noisy ipod, I'd ask to be moved, if it's a bub, it could be noisy and I'd rather not hear it. I had plenty of flights up the back of the plane when my son was small, airlines usually put families up the back then.

That's interesting TW, I did exactly the same thing with my much younger sister and I now have no interest in ever having children.It's not that I dislike children, I just have no interest in them at all and I do find them annoying a lot of the time.

It's a situation common to quite a few women I know Bjelkier. Certainly child rearing holds no romance for you when there's a baby in the family when you're an older child.

that is interesting and certainly something I have wondered about.