Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

It doesn't matter why someone dislikes children/dogs/cats etc, the point is it is their decision and as long as it's not hurting anyone why does it matter so much? Why must we all be tolerant, have patience and try to like everyone's children.

I dislike many things, it doesn't make me bad. I am impatient and get annoyed quickly with kids, even my own, but it doesn't mean I would not give my life to save them if necessary or assist a child in need if I thought they were in danger. Outside of that though I'd prefer to not have much to do with them (except my own of course).

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think just like some people don't like dogs because, say, they don't like slobber and dog smell etc etc, some people don't like kids because they don't like loud noises and unpredictable small people and so on. Simple as that.

What's wrong with that? I'm not going to question why someone doesn't like dogs just like I'm not going to force them to meet my cats if I know they don't like cats. I'm certainly not offended by their opinion. :laugh:

Edited by mr.mister

Yikes. I had plenty of affection as a child - doesn't mean I like kids. I don't see the correlation...

All I know is I find kids frustrating.

Just last week at the shops - trying to walk from one shop to another and got jumped in front of by two kids. One who was playing a game with a ball (throwing it in the air, running after it looking at it the whole time and catching it! IN A SHOP!!!) and bashed into me - solid kid too... The other was in la-la land, no parent to be seen & he was probably about 7-8... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

And kids aren't innocent. They know stuff is wrong and they still do it.

See now this peaks my interest.

If I was to say oh I saw the naughtiest Pitbull the other day it ran into me and shoved otehr dogs around. I would get jumped on as it being deed not breed, or more to the point oh it isn't the dogs fault it is the owners, you can't tar all dogs with the same brush.

Now my kids would NEVER do those things and IF they bumped into someone they would appologise. NOw being kids they do from time to time not really look where theya re goin, I do my best to make sure they do not interefere with anyone but very occassionally they do and we both apologise.

So you cannot tar all kids with the same brush. SOME kids are annoying, SOME kids are rude and disrespectful and SOME kids do the wrong thing. That is not to say ALL kids do it. My kids do not, they have boundries and disipline and I find it a tad annoying when my kids are lumped in with badly disiplined and supervised kids.

In my previous post I said all the good experiences I've had with SOME kids. GOOD kids.

My SECOND post was about naughty kids. Which seem to be the majority. Apologies to those who thought I was talking about their kids who are well-behaved. I wasn't. I was talking about the majority of kids that I've witnessed who are ferals.

I realise that a lot of kids don't look where they're going - but where was the parent and these kids don't even apologise confused.gif

Edited by Scootaloo

Yikes. I had plenty of affection as a child - doesn't mean I like kids. I don't see the correlation...

All I know is I find kids frustrating.

Just last week at the shops - trying to walk from one shop to another and got jumped in front of by two kids. One who was playing a game with a ball (throwing it in the air, running after it looking at it the whole time and catching it! IN A SHOP!!!) and bashed into me - solid kid too... The other was in la-la land, no parent to be seen & he was probably about 7-8... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

And kids aren't innocent. They know stuff is wrong and they still do it.

They are innocent until will take that away.

Lacking affecrion as a child would impact you greatly as an adult.. I was aiming that at people that hate children. Some children annoy me but its not their fault it's their stupid parents that lack parenting skills.

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don’t like children. :( Okay you don’t have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

I will reiterate patient and tolerance goes a long way in life.

I find it sad again to hear a mother say “I'd prefer to not have much to do with them (except my own of course). So how do you handle your kid’s friends when they come around? Or when you drop them off at school and kids are running around doing their own thing?

Do they sense you don’t like them? Kids are smart and can pick up on this.

Oh well I guess I am in the minority here, love kids, will play with them, chat with them, help them even if are can be annoying sometimes, which kids tend to want to rub you up the wrong because they are just 'little kids'.

A few years ago, I was hospitalised with a bout of viral encephalitis.I lost speech, the ability to walk and some memory faculties.After rehab, I returned to uni where I was studying Primary Education.I was in my first year and so I went out on a Block Teaching Prac to a disadvantaged small school in NSW.

Because I had suffered a brain injury,I wasnt really up for it and never should have done it at that time.My speech was still slurred and I was tired a lot.I attended every day of that two week prac and felt really uncomfortable a lot of the time.The kids had a lot of social and behavioural problems and it was damm hard work.Teachers had AVOS on certain parents who would come to the school and physically attck the teachers.On my first day,I witnessed a young fourth grade girl trying to self mutilate herself with a compass . . .so many chaotic lives.

After the prac was over,I withdrew from uni as I couldnt handle the workload after my illness.I still wonder about what has happened to those little lives as time has gone on.

I dont have children.I have never really wanted them for many reasons but for each of those ill disciplined,foulmouthed kids, they all had a story that had led them to become who they were.

I cant say im really a child friendly person but each to their own.Anyway, thats my two bobs worth.

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don't like children. :( Okay you don't have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

I find it sad again to hear a mother say "I'd prefer to not have much to do with them (except my own of course). So how do you handle your kid's friends when they come around? Or when you drop them off at school and kids are running around doing their own thing?

Do they sense you don't like them? Kids are smart and can pick up on this.

Oh well I guess I am in the minority here, love kids, will play with them, chat with them, help them even if are can be annoying sometimes, which kids tend to want to rub you up the wrong because they are just 'little kids'.

You still aren't explaining to me why it is a problem - other than making you sad?

Again not liking is not the same as being rude. Hate to be the bearer of bad news - but not everyone likes everyone. Its a fact of life. I am sure when the kids go off to school they will find out that not everyone likes them there either - so that argument is a bit pointless.

geez, people aren't monsters just because they don't gush over kids.

tolerance does go a long way...

Edited by Cat

Fair enough Scootaloo.

I was one that said I am not really a kid person - as in others.

Having said that I have lovely friends with lovely kids and I like them. My kids have wonderful little friends and I like them. When I say I am not really another peoples kid person I am not the kind of person who wants to hold new babies and goo and gaa over them. Even with my own kids I love them dearly but found I got along with them really well once they were a little older. I am not really a newborn type of person.

I am not the type of person who feels comfortable going into my childrens classes and doing class activities with all of the kids in the class. I will happily cut things out, put things away, cover books and do things as a group, go in for news etc but I just don't feel comfortable interactining one on on with the kids for a class activity.

don't get me wrong. I'm still nice to kids (geez I'm going to be teaching piano starting next week!), I play with them, I let my nieces and their friend help me wash my horse and enjoyed the fact that they were loving it, read storybooks to my little brother, etc. I can handle kids in small doses. I find them pretty demanding embarrass.gif they have more energy than me...

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don’t like children. :( Okay you don’t have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

I find it sad again to hear a mother say “I'd prefer to not have much to do with them (except my own of course). So how do you handle your kid’s friends when they come around? Or when you drop them off at school and kids are running around doing their own thing?

My kids have sleep overs (at home and at other people houses) and it is fine. It's not like I go out of my way to be nasty or anything I just prefer not to be around kids most of the time. I want my kids to have friends and because of that I try really hard to ignore the things that irritate me. I can interact with kids just fine when I want/need to and no, I don't think kids are thinking to themselves this women doesn't like me. I don't go about telling kids that I don't like them and I certainly make an effort with my kids friends and I do enjoy some children and I like babies.

I don't feel comfortable with children once they are around 2 or more. I thought my own kids were gorgeous at that age and because they were mine I had no problems interacting with them, but other people kids, who I don't have a bond with (nor do I want or need one) I'd rather not have to 'pretend' to want to talk to or spend time with them because I really don't.

Don't be sad for me, or my kids, they are loved and love me in return and have a very good life. As for other peoples kids, they're theirs to love, talk to, play with etc.

The thing is, I resent that other people feel that I should like kids just because they feel strongly about it.

What is the problem not liking kids? Don't go and blame their parents or the upbringing you don't know what their childhood was like! What do you say about people who don't like cats and dogs? Oh blame their pet they had as a child? You know some people just don't like kids has nothing to do with their childhood. Currently in my stage of life I do not like kids and I haven't since I was a teenager. Eventually one day I will want to have children of my own but right now nope not for me. I hate going to the shops hearing screaming kids and I too wouldn't want to sit next to a child while flying after a previous experience I had on a flight which was a night mare. My OH's sister had a baby nearly 2 yrs ago and they lived in NSW at the time and I didn't want to hold him :shrug: just not my cup of tea sorry I don't want a child spitting up on me that would make me sick. Now they live in QLD and it is awkward being around the child by myself but I am nice but I do not want to babysit once again not comfortable. A friend at work had a baby girl last year and I was very happy for her and have seen the baby but not held her or anything. Lots of people hate dogs and want nothing to do with them and don't want them in public places that is fine if they feel that way who am I to judge?

My kids have sleep overs (at home and at other people houses) and it is fine. It's not like I go out of my way to be nasty or anything I just prefer not to be around kids most of the time. I want my kids to have friends and because of that I try really hard to ignore the things that irritate me. I can interact with kids just fine when I want/need to and no, I don't think kids are thinking to themselves this women doesn't like me. I don't go about telling kids that I don't like them and I certainly make an effort with my kids friends and I do enjoy some children and I like babies.

I don't feel comfortable with children once they are around 2 or more. I thought my own kids were gorgeous at that age and because they were mine I had no problems interacting with them, but other people kids, who I don't have a bond with (nor do I want or need one) I'd rather not have to 'pretend' to want to talk to or spend time with them because I really don't.

Don't be sad for me, or my kids, they are loved and love me in return and have a very good life. As for other peoples kids, they're theirs to love, talk to, play with etc.

The thing is, I resent that other people feel that I should like kids just because they feel strongly about it.

+1

Really? I've read most of the posts and I didn't notice much active dislike of children in general.

Just a dislike of some intrusive behaviours and/or a lack of interest in interacting with children that aren't part of the family.

That seems fine to me. Certainly nothing to be sad for.

Now that I think about it, the only people amongst my friends who have an embracing attitude to all children are the parents of young children. I always assumed it was just hormonal as it seems to pass.

I prefer children to adults. Adults can be so hurtful, rude, selfish, judging, the list goes on. Children are innocent, loving, they don,t judge you like adults do, they have unconditional love.

I'm sure some are, but when I was at school there were also quite a number that weren't

Lol cat I think I am referring to young children they do become les desirable after they reach um 5 lol lol

Glad you clarified that, because school age kids are often horribly cruel, ask any victim of bullying.

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don't like children. :( Okay you don't have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

I find this quite insulting. Why should you feel sad for those of us who don't go all gooey over kids? Nobody has said they HATE them and most have said they are nice to them when they need to be even while choosing to avoid them if possible. I don't think we deserve the angry face thanks. A genuine question was asked and we shouldn't be judged for answering. Aside from that, you are presuming that none of us have a skerrick of patience and tolerance between us. How rude.

Most have stated that whilst they don't crave the company of children, they also play with them and chat with them if put in that situation. I haven't read one post yet where the person said they would be rude to the child. (Actually I came closest when I said I told one off, but she'd been a brat for hours beforehand and her mother wasn't helping.)

Same.

I personally really like kids, quite frequently i am around many children in play centres with my godson. I do however see some really nasty pasty kids. One child bit my godson he came home from child care with bite marks on his shoulder, he is nearly 2yrs old and been going for only 1 month :mad:eek:

I also have absolutely nothing against those who do not want children or like them, thats their choice, and i find it insulting those who have said they do not like children are being judged for the fact they do not like children.

There are evolutionary reasons why infants instinctively and loudly demand attention. Many years ago, I read a tragic report from Western health workers returning to Africa after a famine. (Conditions had been so difficult that the health workers had been evacuated.) A few of the most demanding infants had survived the famine, but the "good" babies had all died.

Anecdotes don't make science. What about the large number of people and/or families who have been wiped out because a crying baby alerted a predator or enemy human to their existence? Infants of most species are pretty much silent. Not all human cultures tolerate loud, demanding children, including, for many of us, the cultures of our parents, or great or great great grandparents (depending on our age).

I'm older. My mother was raised in a well-off family under the mantra "children should be seen and not heard" . . . she was given stale bread when fresh bread was available to avoid excess eating. The rules of her childhood included strict enforcement of correct posture and deportment, and thorough mastication of food. I remember talking to an old Irishwoman who raised 12 kids in poverty. She said people used to ask her how she fed all those kids. She said "I find out what they don't like and feed them lots of it." Not to mention "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Can you imagine raising a modern kid in such fashion?

Looking at responses above, it sort of looks like people don't hate children. They simply can't tolerate what children have become, and find it easier to devote their nurturing energies to animals of various sorts.

Edited by sandgrubber

I am not a kid person as a rule either. But then, I am not a people person either! Give me a dog, a horse or even a cat any day!!

If I travel again on a plane, especially if it is of any distance (15 hrs to the US) - then I WILL ask to be nowhere near a child.

When a baby is crying, I truly cannot handle the noise - and in a plane, you cannot escape it, without LOUD music from your iPod!!

When I went over to the States, I had a little darling in front of me, putting the seat up and down - friggin constantly! After half an hour of that, I tapped the mother on the shoulder and said 'PLEASE control your child' - well, she took exception to what I thought was a VERY reasonable request and abused ME. I had a chat with one of the flight attendants - and got bumped to first class! :thumbsup: Gotta love that! :rofl:

Doesent worry me if people don't like kids but I think people that say they hate kids, hate is a very strong word and that to me is sad.. I do not like some adults, I don,t really like some children but I don't hate them ( that have been brought up not being taught respect by their parents) Bullying, you see this all the times parents making excuses for their child being the bully, what a load of crap its the parents fault for not raising their child with morals, respect for others, compassion, empathy. Raising children is not easy and if one of mine bullied another I would take that as partly my fault for not raising my child correctly and I would do whatevernit takes to repair this...

Just curious but Why would you want to have one of your own if you don't like them? How odd.. see I don't get that..

We are all made differently I just find people that hate others for whatever reason very sad and I am once again dissapointed in humanity.

Ha and yes strange topic for a pure dog forum lol.. topics on children and bull breeds always get a bit heated, but at least this one isn't going down the same path as other heated discussions :-)

What is the problem not liking kids? Don't go and blame their parents or the upbringing you don't know what their childhood was like! What do you say about people who don't like cats and dogs? Oh blame their pet they had as a child? You know some people just don't like kids has nothing to do with their childhood. Currently in my stage of life I do not like kids and I haven't since I was a teenager. Eventually one day I will want to have children of my own but right now nope not for me. I hate going to the shops hearing screaming kids and I too wouldn't want to sit next to a child while flying after a previous experience I had on a flight which was a night mare. My OH's sister had a baby nearly 2 yrs ago and they lived in NSW at the time and I didn't want to hold him :shrug: just not my cup of tea sorry I don't want a child spitting up on me that would make me sick. Now they live in QLD and it is awkward being around the child by myself but I am nice but I do not want to babysit once again not comfortable. A friend at work had a baby girl last year and I was very happy for her and have seen the baby but not held her or anything. Lots of people hate dogs and want nothing to do with them and don't want them in public places that is fine if they feel that way who am I to judge?

Edited by mumof4girls