Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

I don't have kids never had a maternal bone in my body and as far as the biological clock goes mines got more klm's on it than an EH holden.I don't hate kids but I do have a low tolerance to screaming tantrum chucking ones.At my age most of my friends have adult children but I do have one close friend with a 4 year old and she is a pleasure to be around.She is a great little kid.I think being a parent is the hardest job in the world, mum doesn't get to bundy off at the end of the day.I was 41 when my mum passed away and I was still her baby.I do call my dogs my kids and all my friends(even the ones with children)will ask me how the kids are.My dogs are not a substitute for children because I never wanted kids.One of my neighbours is 7 months pregnant and she knows I won't be rushing to the hospital to goo goo and she knows I won't be picking him up until he's about 2.She's fine with that :)

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is this?

why do people have to like other people's children? Who cares, you like your kids, that's the main thing. I wouldn't want to sit next to a baby/toddler/child on a plane either. Or someone with BO or who farts non stop or ate one kilo of garlic for lunch.

I didn't think I was a kid hater, well hater is a bit strong.

Until I found myself getting pretty annoyed with kids zipping all over shops bumping into me, screaming etc. and me muttering under my breath about leashing them.

I've found I notice it more now, than ever before. Why? Is it my age? Or are parents not giving a crap about controlling their kids?

I also have friends I don't visit with as much as I used to, because I got sick of their teenagers eavesdropping and interrupting.

Nothing sends the blood pressure rising quite like, "Muuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuum".

I have a daughter. Would've liked more, but that horse has bolted. And no, I'm not bitter.

I love children naughty or good & sometimes most of them are both.

I can't figure out people not liking them either but it is so & is common.

Dogs are nothing like children.

They are much easier to train & control, can be shoved out if they are a pest or even re homed.

Children are forever under all circumstances even potentially fatal illness & devastating disabilities do not alter this until nature intervenes.

Maternal instinct make you love your own children & a huge over dose of suffering from it makes you love everyones children. Its a form of insanity to keep our species going :laugh:

Its funny but because you don't have kids, some people expect you to be a numpty with them, particularly with babies.

I've had the odd smug mum shove a baby at me and expect me to recoil in terror. You know the type.. they push a pram through a crowd and expect it to part for them like Moses and the Red Sea. Whip out a boob to feed anywhere, anytime and glare at anyone who mightn't enjoy the show. Oh and change their babies in the MOST inappropriate places. They love the pity laden statement "so Telida, YOU never had children did you". Hard to resist not answering "yes, but I ate them at birth" sometimes.

I have a much younger brother who I fed, burped, changed nappies on and babysat a lot. I did the same for kids of family friends. They hold no terror for me.

But my biological clock is digital... has never ticked. I tell baby brother its his fault - cured me for life.

If your kids have a modicum of manners and a modicum of intelligence, I'll be quite happy to chat to them. God knows I pay enough taxes to support other peoples' kids, I certainly don't need to have any of my own. ;)

That's interesting TW, I did exactly the same thing with my much younger sister and I now have no interest in ever having children.

It's not that I dislike children, I just have no interest in them at all and I do find them annoying a lot of the time.

Hmmm, here too. I have a sister 13 years younger than me - I spent plenty of time as a teenager playing mum - babysitting, changing nappies, the works. I avoided babysitting for others though - I felt totally intimidated trying to be an authority figure to other people's children.

I don't mind kids, I quite like animals

I don't like rude pushy badly trained varieties of either. And sometimes rude pushy and badly behaved describes me quite well.

I really don't like parents or dog owners that make no effort to get their pride and joy off me or my dog when I ask them to. I'd prefer the uninvited encounter never happened in the first place. It's different if they ask but some have to be prepared to accept - you're too big for me to give you a piggy back and you're to slobbery for me to give you a pat or treat.

At least one dog owner has started bringing a towel to the park for his extra slobbery wolf hound cross. I told him I was very happy about that.

I never felt the desire to have kids of my own. You can't leave them alone when you need a break. The job might not be particularily intellectually challenging all the time but it can be relentless. And putting a child in a boarding kennel when you go on holidays is generally frowned upon.

I think there are more examples of rude dogs and children because positive punishment (eg hitting or scolding) is generally frowned upon but these people don't know what to do instead. You don't have to scold or hit to stop the naughty behaviour.

It's usually not the kid that gets me irritated, it's the parents who don't give a toss if their kid is bothering you or not, or fails to stop whatever bratty behaviour the child is doing before it annoys someone.

I don't hate kids, I don't love all kids, I like some less and some more than others.

I would not tolerate a child being harmed and will intervene if it's necessary, but would not tolerate a child harming my son, or my dogs, someone elses child, or their animals or other property.

There's nothing wrong with asking to be moved if you are sitting next to someone you find irritating, If a person has a bad body odour, reeks of cigarettes or alcohol and I'm sitting next to them on a flight, I'd ask to be moved, if they had a noisy ipod, I'd ask to be moved, if it's a bub, it could be noisy and I'd rather not hear it. I had plenty of flights up the back of the plane when my son was small, airlines usually put families up the back then.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I actually get along really well with children, it's weird. I'm far too young to have children of my own but I do babysit occasionally and the kids always want me to come over again. From the ages 2-10, they make me feel so loved :p Then when they reach grade 8, I find them annoying - that bratty teenage attitude is the one the annoys me most. Oh, and the kids of slack parents.

I have kids, some days I like them more than others!

I am not into kids, although after having my own I will pick up a child for someone or help them out. I don't change nappies unless I am the only one around, did around 4 to 5 years of my own and didn't enjoy that too much either.

My kids challenge me and make me work to be a better person. I am often told I am hard on them, but then told "gee aren't they good when you are out" which they are. They can be turds at home, they can great at home like all of us we have good and bad days.

My kids know the meaning of no, and know the meaning of consequence of action. They will get a smack if they really need it, but not for every little misdemeanour.

Some days I wonder what I was thinking, and other days I wonder what I did without them.

I would fight to the death to protect them from anyone or anything that tried to do them harm. I do not expect anyone else to feel that way about them as I do.

I am not into other peoples kids, I am not rude to them, I will chat to them but I don't like it if my kids whinge and I don't let them get away with it, I don't want to hear anyone elses kids doing it either. Quite often I refuse to acknowledge what mine are saying if they are whining, they get told to speak normally. I can appreciate that kids are not robots and sometimes are just having a crap day and feel crap and that is possibly the only way they can comunicate that. Plenty of adults I know whinge a lot as well. I often feel sorry for the poor parent who is trying like hell to stop the child annoying all and sundry and it is making not one ounce of difference.

I hate listening to screaming tantrum kids while I am shopping also. Interestingly mine quite often comment on other childrens naughty behaviour, often quite loudly and near the naughty childs parent. I figure if my kids can see itm well it's probably quite obvious!

I love all of my animals as well, but don't like being whinged at or annoyed by anyone elses badly trained dogs etc either.

I don't go out of my way to interact with children, but I certainly don't hate them. I am very uncomfortable with the sort of children who barge up and cuddle me, or sit in my lap. I am happy to have a conversation with kids, or hang out, but I am not big on being touched (by anyone), especially by sticky fingers ahhhhh!

Usually it's the noise that does my head in, moaning, whining, crying coming from anything (flatmate, cat, dog, kid) drives me mental.

There are evolutionary reasons why infants instinctively and loudly demand attention. Many years ago, I read a tragic report from Western health workers returning to Africa after a famine. (Conditions had been so difficult that the health workers had been evacuated.) A few of the most demanding infants had survived the famine, but the "good" babies had all died.

It is our responsibility, as adults, to moderate the demanding instincts of small children and help them to develop more rational behaviour. Parents and teachers are in the front line, but we can all help by modelling civilized behaviour. Behaving rudely towards children does not help.

Today's children will be the doctors, aged-care workers, shop assistants etc of our later life. (Not to mention the vets that care for our pets.) We should not regard them as nuisances.

(Now I can get off my hobby-horse.)

I can't wait to have kids of my own, it's something I haven't been able to stop thinking about for a couple of years now. However, I have no interest whatsoever in other peoples' children. :laugh: I might coo over a new baby for a few minutes, but that's my limit. I wouldn't say I love kids in general particularly. I know I'll love my own kids when they come along; I don't think I should be expected to like every other random's child.

I love babies of any variety. Humans, dogs, cows, whatever. They're all cute and they all make me gush.

I don't like dogs that jump at me or that are too energetic or that are aggressive.

I dont like children that are too noisy, rude or energetic.

It's the individual child or dog that I dislike.

I like my latte child and dog free. I like my flights quiet and without stress. each to their own I guess.

Guest donatella

I've never really liked children and they've never really liked me back, but I must say since having my very first neice (2 weeks old) i'm melting a little bit more to them (she's so teeny and cute).

Animals have always been my passion though, I've been drawn to them for as long as I can remember.

Why does someone have to give a reason.

I have dogs there not my surrogate kids,there my pets .

I don't want kids ,there not something i wish to share in my life.

Just because we where all kids once doesn't mean we should have them .

Most people who don't want kids are quite capable of interacting with them so don't see what the big deal is or why people see this as something weird ??

I don't like being around ill mannered children ,i don't like being around children whose parents think its fine to send them off to annoy others whilst they have fun,i don't like being around children 24/7 .

I like children in small doses & those that are respectful & a pleasure to be around .

I have no time for parents that push there kids on to you because it may make you want them :mad

Kids are for special people .i am NOT a special kid person & would never be so selfish to have a kid just because .

This applies to me as well. I would have to say parents of badly behaved kids have a lot to answer for - the other day I saw a 5 year old boy pulling his pants down and shitting in the middle of a public park and his mother seemed to think that was quite normal - I don't and I don't like it. I cannot stand the screaming that children are allowed to do nowadays either - it hurts me physically. No way would I want to be seated anywhere near one on a short flight never mind a long haul one.

Why does someone have to give a reason.

I have dogs there not my surrogate kids,there my pets .

I don't want kids ,there not something i wish to share in my life.

Just because we where all kids once doesn't mean we should have them .

Most people who don't want kids are quite capable of interacting with them so don't see what the big deal is or why people see this as something weird ??

I don't like being around ill mannered children ,i don't like being around children whose parents think its fine to send them off to annoy others whilst they have fun,i don't like being around children 24/7 .

I like children in small doses & those that are respectful & a pleasure to be around .

I have no time for parents that push there kids on to you because it may make you want them :mad

Kids are for special people .i am NOT a special kid person & would never be so selfish to have a kid just because .

Agree 100% with this

Is it just me or......this is something I've often wondered and I'm ready with my flame suit on.

But yes, over the years I have observed a number of my non children friends who have animals and have noticed that many of them, think of their pets as their children and also appear to actively dislike children.

Why is this?

I mean I know children are hard work and have their rewards and challenges, but hey, they were kids once too. There are many well behaved, nicely raised kids out there that are a credit to the future so why do some people get all anti-kids about it?

So why the "not renting to families with kids" etc.

On a plane returning to Australia from Vienna an old woman sat beside me, glanced at my 6 months old baby, pulled a sour face, called the flight attendant and stated "I specifically requested NOT to be seated next to one of those"! She got moved.

I will admit sometimes other peoples kid annoy me when I see their mothers let them run amuk in shopping centres etc. but that does not colour my attitude towards ALL children, either prior to becoming a mother 22 years ago or after. ;)

I'd not want to be seated next to a baby on an international flight either. It's a long trip, babies cry, they crap in their nappies, sometimes they throw up... sorry.... And if the woman had specifically requested not to be seated next to a child she should expect that the request be honoured. JMO.

Personally, I have 2 dogs one kid and 10 nieces and nephews. I don't particularly like kids nor do I don't hate them, they just have no real appeal to me and having to deal with other peoples children (particularly babies / toddlers) is a hassle that I could do without.. :shrug:

I don't view / treat my dogs as 'kids' either. They are dogs.

I didn't really like kids until I had my own :laugh:

Re taking kids on long haul flights - been there done that got the postcard (3 times with Mr 4) - it is not something I would choose to do :eek: VERY stressful, but unfortunately sometimes necessary when family is overseas. I am really not looking forward to having to do it again, I hate long haul flights at the best of times. All you can do is bring lots of stuff to do and lots of food and cross your fingers and hope people are sympathetic if it all goes pear shaped.

I love being around kids, as they give me an excuse to act like one :laugh: I love the fact that you can teach them and guide them, as they have an exhausting thirst for knowledge and such an enthusiasm to new things, and brilliant imaginations.

However, I cannot be around them 24/7 because I like my own quiet time too much :eek: I don't have the patience to be constantly pestered anymore, hence I do not have any of my own. I just borrow them to keep me in touch with my juvenile side.

I have three dogs who also pester and demand attention, but I can tell them no and they listen. Or I can put them in the backyard or send them to their bed/crate, and it is not against the law.

No, they are not replacement children, they are dogs, much loved dogs, but the same training principles apply to both. :thumbsup:

I echo these sentiments!

There are evolutionary reasons why infants instinctively and loudly demand attention. Many years ago, I read a tragic report from Western health workers returning to Africa after a famine. (Conditions had been so difficult that the health workers had been evacuated.) A few of the most demanding infants had survived the famine, but the "good" babies had all died.

It is our responsibility, as adults, to moderate the demanding instincts of small children and help them to develop more rational behaviour. Parents and teachers are in the front line, but we can all help by modelling civilized behaviour. Behaving rudely towards children does not help.

Today's children will be the doctors, aged-care workers, shop assistants etc of our later life. (Not to mention the vets that care for our pets.) We should not regard them as nuisances.

(Now I can get off my hobby-horse.)

You make a good point. I think everyone could learn a little more tolerance.