Animal Lovers That Dislike Children

LizT

i like kids, but i don't want any of my own .... i'm quite happy to enjoy the good parts and then leave them to scream and carry on to someone else

The older you get it is nice to to be able to give them back to their parents when they start to cry or become annoying lol lol lol..

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have absolutely no maternal instinct, no desire to have child and do quite dislike a number of children I meet - this is just who I am just like it is who other people are who like children.

I dont' treat my dogs like children, they aren't substitutes for the real thing and given I don't really like children that should be a pretty logical thing.

I find it annoying how some people with children just can't get their heads around why other people don't want children and don't enjoy their company - move on :)

I have great respect for people that love being around children. For me that would be a hard job. I adore my children and I am much better with kids now that I have my own.

I am very aware of my friends that do not have children and rarely take my children when I visit them. It is really hard to understand children until you have your own.

I love my dogs however they are treated like dogs and I love how I can lock them outside for some peace and quiet.

I don't like children, never have. I don't have to like children so I fail to see why it bothers anyone.

Fair 'nuf. No one has to like children. So long as you are not a Primary School teacher or Child care worker I'm okay with that. But, if I may ask, is it ALL children, is there a reason or is it just "how you feel"?

How do you interact with children if required to? Do you acknowledge them or are you dismissive of them? :confused:

I mean, I don't like every adult (or child) I meet either.

Again, why on earth does it matter what someone thinks of children? Particularly on an Internet forum.

The OP was just wondering, if people don't like the question then don't answer, sounds simple to me.

Unfortunately over the years parenting has diminished and children get away with a lot.. We need to go back in time when discipline was the norm, now parents are scared or have not been taught how .. It seems easy to me and undesirable behaviour is not tolerated lol.

Example, my daughter was quite disrespectful to my OH today she was going to a party on the weekend, she isn't now. Follow through, most parents would threaten knowing well they couldn't not let their little angel not go to her first party for the year. I say my angel will think twice next time she is disrespectful lol , OK parenting 101 over, I love kids its their parents I don,t like :-)

ONE PERSON on ONE FLIGHT didn't want to sit next to HER kid. Well, not everyone likes kids, not everyone is going to like her kids. I repeat, so what? Children aren't the centre of the universe for everyone. No need to continue to interrogate anyone over it.

There are evolutionary reasons why infants instinctively and loudly demand attention. Many years ago, I read a tragic report from Western health workers returning to Africa after a famine. (Conditions had been so difficult that the health workers had been evacuated.) A few of the most demanding infants had survived the famine, but the "good" babies had all died.

Anecdotes don't make science. What about the large number of people and/or families who have been wiped out because a crying baby alerted a predator or enemy human to their existence? Infants of most species are pretty much silent. Not all human cultures tolerate loud, demanding children, including, for many of us, the cultures of our parents, or great or great great grandparents (depending on our age).

I'm older. My mother was raised in a well-off family under the mantra "children should be seen and not heard" . . . she was given stale bread when fresh bread was available to avoid excess eating. The rules of her childhood included strict enforcement of correct posture and deportment, and thorough mastication of food. I remember talking to an old Irishwoman who raised 12 kids in poverty. She said people used to ask her how she fed all those kids. She said "I find out what they don't like and feed them lots of it." Not to mention "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Can you imagine raising a modern kid in such fashion?

Looking at responses above, it sort of looks like people don't hate children. They simply can't tolerate what children have become, and find it easier to devote their nurturing energies to animals of various sorts.

After years of working with young adults with drug & alcohol issues I find the self absorbed attitudes frustrating on the other hand having a husband with a military backgound we are around fine young men and women serving our country selflessly. What makes one group absolute idiots and the others honorable is a flip of the coin. Everyone is an individual and when it comes to little kids <12 well I guess I have met both styles of kids - the idiots I avoid the good ones I enjoy. Currently I now work with kids and dogs in schools all over western NSW - the kids range from 5-7 - they are great. There are some fantastic teachers out there. But I know from experience it is what happens at home that makes the difference to the young persons future attitude to life.

Edited by Tapua

It is really hard to understand children until you have your own.

It isn't even slightly hard. They are are just little untrained people. I don't much like untrained anythings.

There was a child going nuts in the shopping center yesterday. Totally understandable in that he was just using basic urges to get what he wanted. Doesn't mean to say that I appreciated his shrieking whilst I tried to eat my lunch.

I have more trouble understanding parents then I do children.

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don’t like children. :( Okay you don’t have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

I will reiterate patient and tolerance goes a long way in life.

Ah, there we are. I just KNEW we'd get here eventually. :cheer:

Oh yes, poor us with our barren wombs and our dislike of kiddies. :laugh:

Keep your pity. And try practicing some of that tolerance you'd like us to demonstrate. It actually possible to not be wild about kids but to tolerate most of them. I think that's a position many folk here have adopted.

I feel little need to be patient or tolerant of poorly behaved children but I know better than to blame THEM for the way they behave. :)

My thoughts were not entirely about whether people like children or not. It was more to do with those I have met who have openly said they dislike children, and treat their pets as child subsitutes (furkids). You know the kind, they gush and goo over Fido and are often their own worse enemy when it comes to animal behavioural issues.

As for the lady on the plane, in her defence, I guess she had no way of knowing that this little six months old baby had spent the last month travelling around Europe and the UK, that he had never uttered any peep, resembling a cry. That he was entirely breast fed (discreetly, I might add, I'm not one for flashing my boobs in an inappropriate place!) and because he was constantly with me, was feed when he stirred after a sleep, was changed (in the change room) after he was feed and was generally a happy little chap the whole time. He was passed around by flight attendants as they both, male and female couldn't get enough of him. Re ear pressure, the flight attendant advised me to pop him on the boob both before take off and prior to landing and this equalised his ear pressure and he had no problems at all.

I don't see any evidence of child hatred in this thread but I have observed it in day to day circumstances both in people with and without pets.

Why is this a problem some of you ask? Well, whether you like or dislike children personally isn't a problem at all. It is your choice and how you feel. I respect that. I'm not suggesting anyone feel other than what they do.

I'm sorry if some of you felt it was an attack on your lifestyle choice. It isn't.

It's just that when someones says that they "Dislike children, all children" I feel a tiny jolt go through my body. So I guess that makes it my problem. :)

I certainly don't tolerate badly behaved annoying whingy brats well either. I will be the first to glare at a child running amok in a supermarket. It works. I'm not a saint. :laugh: My kids were never, and are not angels either.

I too am an older sister, with two younger sisters five years and fourteen years my junior. I was mum to the youngest, as my mother had health problems and I was "left holding the baby" for a great deal of the time. I practically raised her until 3 years of age, then I left home and she came to stay with me often. I actually had not planned on having children myself, and if you'd asked me, in my early to mid 20's about any family plans, forget it. I was 29 when my first child was born. But I did get on very well with other peoples children and they would often flock to me at social gatherings (hmmm..so did their dogs and cats for that matter ) and I would get lots of cuddles, and play games with them and enjoyed doing so. I think I was far more tolerent of other peoples kids before I had ny own. :laugh:

A psychic once told me I was surrounded by the spirit of animals and children...whatever I thought...but then maybe it's true. ;)

I guess I'm no closer to really understanding why anyone likes or dislike anything..and maybe I don't need to be. Or maybe I do need to have it straight in my head. But thank you anyway for your frank and honest answers. :)

Edited by LizT

A psychic once told me I was surrounded by the spirit of animals and children...whatever I thought...but then maybe it's true. ;)

A psychic once told me I'd had 16 kids in a past life.. yep, that's likely to remove much interest in more :laugh:

Edited by Telida Whippets

Guest lavendergirl

Some of these responses remind of some people's reaction when I say I don't like cats. They can get quite aggressive and demand to know why why WHY I don't like cats - just don't thats all.

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don’t like children. :( Okay you don’t have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

Ah, there we are. I just KNEW we'd get here eventually. :cheer:

Oh yes, poor us with our barren wombs and our dislike of kiddies. :laugh:

Keep your pity. And try practicing some of that tolerance you'd like us to demonstrate. It actually possible to not be wild about kids but to tolerate most of them. I think that's a position many folk here have adopted.

I feel little need to be patient or tolerant of poorly behaved children but I know better than to blame THEM for the way they behave. :)

my womb isn't barren and I still dislike kids :laugh:

A psychic ones told me I'd had 16 kids in a past life.. yep, that's likely to remove much interest in more :laugh:

That 'ud do it! :laugh:

Some of these responses remind of some people's reaction when I say I don't like cats. They can get quite aggressive and demand to know why why WHY I don't like cats - just don't thats all.

YOU DON'T LIKE CATS? WHY? WHY? WHY? DON'T YOU LIKE THE LITTLE PUSSY WOOSSIES??????? :(:cry:

Just kidding. ;) :p

I often feel sorry for the poor parent who is trying like hell to stop the child annoying all and sundry and it is making not one ounce of difference.

If a parent is trying I feel sorry for them too and usually give them one of those 'I understand' conspiritorial smiles, particularly when I can see that they are stressed and frustrated.

But as I said, just like dogs allowed to be out of control, children allowed to be out of control and in my space are not for me.

Of_Mind, on 01 March 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Just reading these posts make me feel sad for the majority who don't like children. :(

Okay you don't have to like them, but it is coming across like you really DISLIKE them. :mad

And people should also remember that for a person that can't have children, preferring not to be around them can sometimes be all about self preservation.........

Edited by espinay2

A psychic once told me I'd had 16 kids in a past life.. yep, that's likely to remove much interest in more :laugh:

Well, there's your problem! :laugh:

My mum has never liked kids. It's a bit sad cause she didn't have much to do with my kids when they were growing up and now they are adults she wants to see them but they are not at all close. She wouldn't let me have a dog when I was a kid cause, "Dogs are children and cats are adults". So I could have cats but not dogs. It never stopped me trying though :laugh: I work in childcare and have 5 dogs and my Mum thinks I'm crazy... Ah but then she could be right! :rofl:

I have 5 of my own children ranging from 23 down to 3, I also work with kids and I believe I have a great deal of patience and an enormous amount of love for them and even I would not be too happy with the thought of sitting next to a baby on a long haul flight! In saying this I would not be likely to ask to move if I was in this situation, chances are somebody draws the short straw to sit next to them on the plane and this time it happened to be me:). I also have empathy for the parent as I am sure this is really the last place they would choose to be.

I personally love kids, for me it is really hard to be grumpy or pessimistic when you are surrounded with laughing kiddies. They bring perspective to life. They are so full of joy and imagination, I find it contagious. I have also come across some extremely badly behaved children but most of the time clear boundaries and consistent rules deals with most of these issues.

I also completely understand that for some people they are really not their cup of tea. They can be snotty and loud and stinky! My sister has made a deliberate choice not to have children as she has other priorities in life. Good on her for standing up to the constant questions and harassment from people who think they know better than her what direction her life should take. She is happy and fulfilled without children.

For me a happy home is filled with kids and dogs:) Each to their own.