Too Many Breeds....

Dame Aussie

I grew up with border collies and OH grew up with border collies and currently have the three BC girls. We recently got OH's Brittany pup. He has wanted one for a very long time but it is really interesting having a breed quite different from your usual. In a few years when Gael who is 2.5 years and the pup are grown up and sensible and the seniors are gone I will get a BC pup again. Just so many things I love about the breed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CaseyKay, I agree with Ralleyvalley :) In a couple of years Scout might have you convinced too :laugh:

After meeting my Brittany I never want to own another breed - truly perfection in a dog :thumbsup:

I grew up with border collies and OH grew up with border collies and currently have the three BC girls. We recently got OH's Brittany pup. He has wanted one for a very long time but it is really interesting having a breed quite different from your usual. In a few years when Gael who is 2.5 years and the pup are grown up and sensible and the seniors are gone I will get a BC pup again. Just so many things I love about the breed.

I have the opposite problem! I currently have 3 breeds plus 2 crossbreed dogs but can't decide what breed I want my next showdog to be! I will keep breeding and showing my iggies but want another breed to show. There are breeds that I would live to own. But they wouldn't be a good fit for my household. I'm finding it frustrating trying to find a breed that ticks all my boxes.

Whippet :cool:

Yeah have considered a whippet, but they aren't much different to iggies show wise. Really want something diffetent to what I have already.

Different? I can do that.

Irish Wolfhound

Bullmastiff

Bloodhound

Old English Sheepdog

;)

So many breeds I'd love to own (as well as Salukis, not instead of) :)

My 'hopefully one day' list at the moment is looking like this:

Afghan Hound

Leonberger

Brittany

Border Collie

Irish Red and White Setter

...and a Greyhound in several decades time as my old lady breed!

Many, many others that I'd love to own but probably won't get around to doing so.

Edited by gazellehound

I love my breed and have stayed with it longer than all the other breeds I have owned. They are definitely the breed for me.

That said, I would dearly love another Greyhound, a Zoi and an Irish Wolfie. Not sure if it will ever happen though. Maybe when I get tired of dog sports competing :laugh:

... and I would also love another Bullterrier one day ;)

You are right, so many wondrful breeds and so little time.

I love my breed and have stayed with it longer than all the other breeds I have owned. They are definitely the breed for me.

That said, I would dearly love another Greyhound, a Zoi and an Irish Wolfie. Not sure if it will ever happen though. Maybe when I get tired of dog sports competing :laugh:

... and I would also love another Bullterrier one day ;)

You are right, so many wondrful breeds and so little time.

if I wanted a larger dog, it would be a Zoi or a Deerhound.. just lovely dogs. :)

I have the opposite problem! I currently have 3 breeds plus 2 crossbreed dogs but can't decide what breed I want my next showdog to be! I will keep breeding and showing my iggies but want another breed to show. There are breeds that I would live to own. But they wouldn't be a good fit for my household. I'm finding it frustrating trying to find a breed that ticks all my boxes.

Whippet :cool:

:laugh:

ETA: I have considered fostering, maybe that would help me pick and also unpick certain breeds!

I've told the OH who loves anything huge, that I want a Pug. Can't say he looked too impressed :laugh:

He will love a pug... they are TRUELY big dogs in a little dog body! tough as nails and full of additude :thumbsup:

My girl will pull all the pointers into line when they are bad... she was very helpful when raising the babies :laugh:

That's what I told him, every one I've met has been hilarious :laugh:

I know he'll fall in love if we get one!

I have a definate five other breeds that I love but I'm a wuss so will spend the rest of my life owning goldens!

Plus MrB is a very intense and mad golden fan so I don't see him ever agreeing to anything else!

I have owned 5 different breeds and I used to think the same as the OP, so many breeds, so little time!! However over the years the list of breeds I'm intersted in has narrowed considerably. I still admire a lot of different breeds, but have no desire to own many of them. I am now in a position to get a new pup and even though a couple of different breeds were considered I'll be getting another pup of a breed I currently own. I do have a couple of breeds on the 'must have one day' list and I'll never say never to other breeds, but for now what I have suits me :)

Edited by FHRP

I currently have a Sibe and a Lappie, and after having my Lappie I am sold that they are the breed for me because I absolutely adore my spunky little Miss.

HOWEVER my husband really, really, really wants a Malamute. So when we get a bigger house, I've told him he can have one, however I want to be able to show it. So I'm currently doing my research about what lines I like so that in a few years time I know exactly what I'm after.

We will always have Spitz breeds though. We had two gundog puppies come over last week (a Cocker and a Golden) and at the end of their visit, OH said "I am so glad we have Spitz breeds, they don't stink like dog!"

She already has OH convinced after a week! :) That's okay we can have our dogs in "pairs". OH argument is "you can do agility/tracking/obedience with my Brittany but I can't take your BC hunting!". Truly versatile then :)

CaseyKay, I agree with Ralleyvalley :) In a couple of years Scout might have you convinced too :laugh:

After meeting my Brittany I never want to own another breed - truly perfection in a dog :thumbsup:

I have owned 5 different breeds and I used to think the same as the OP, so many breeds, so little time!! However over the years the list of breeds I'm intersted in has narrowed considerably. I still admire a lot of different breeds, but have no desire to own many of them. I am now in a position to get a new pup and even though a couple of different breeds were considered I'll be getting another pup of a breed I currently own. I do have a couple of breeds on the 'must have one day' list and I'll never say never to other breeds, but for now what I have suits me :)

*cough* BRACCO!!! *cough*

;)

There are lots of breeds I admire, even love, but few that I think I could really own. Gundogs generally suit me and I love the look of them and their temperaments...

My heart, though, is with the English Setter... but my lifestyle and love for dog sports means that at this point in time the Weimaraner suits me better. I have two of each ;)

I have a real soft spot for Irish Setters and Brittany's though :)

I do have a couple of breeds on the 'must have one day' list and I'll never say never to other breeds, but for now what I have suits me :)

*cough* BRACCO!!! *cough*

;)

That's on the must have list and if there were any pups around now I'd be there! :thumbsup:

I went in the opposite direction :laugh: I was a one-eyed Lab girl for MANY years, even before actually owning one. Never contemplated another breed, they were always the one I wanted. Since being on DOL and being involved in dog sports, my eyes have been opened up to the many other possibilities. My list of dogs I want to own is still relatively short (on top of the Lab, maybe 2 others?) but Labs are here to stay! I admire so many breeds, but they aren't for me and my current lifestyle :)

So are you getting another GSP or Viszla? :provoke: Or is it a seeecreeeet? shhh.gif

I have a few breeds I would like to own but when I can't imagine myself without a greyhound or an iggy, I don't know that I can fit another breed in :laugh: Also have to negoitate with OH as there are some I love he would never go for (e.g. chinese crested). I am very taken with borzois now and would love to have one one day.

I currently have two cocker spaniels, and they have truly stolen my heart, and will always have one. I have also owned bullmastiffs and would dearly love another one one day.. Or for my brother to get one, so we keep the family tradition going of always having one in the family.

There are lots of breeds I love the look of, but just don't fit with my OH and I. We both love different breeds for different reasons, it was hard enough narrowing it down to getting a cocker!

I do love though:

- Lappies

- Akitas

- Samoyeds

- French Bulldogs

- Bernese Mountain Dogs (these are my dream dogs)

- Belgian Shepherds

- Whippets