Why Do Dogs Pee On People?

Huntia

As the topic suggests I am wondering why some dogs pee on people?

On easter Monday, we had just got home after a six hour drive, stopped the car at the gate, the neighbour comes over to say hi to OH, his JRxdachie comes over as well, i got out to say hi to the neighbour, after a minute or 2 his dog pees on my foot :eek: .

Why do they do this????? :confused:

Harley pees on my Mum when he is happy to see her... its only ever been her and one other person he has done it to. Maybe the dogs think you are smelly or something and want to mark you as their own :laugh: If it happened to me I would be more grossed out than angry though haha.

I'd be interested to find this out too.

Just the other day at the dog park, an entire male SBT peed all over my leg and foot. I was so angry as there was no apology from his owner! :mad

The JRxdachie is entire as well, but the owner was mortified that his dog has "christened" my foot, and was very apologetic, as well as giving me the advise to "boot" him, which i didn't (a, not my dog to punish while the owner is there, b, not into "booting" dogs, and c, too much time 30 secs plus had passed when the "advise" was given.) :mad:eek:

I was grossed out and concerned that my dog would than pee on me as well to cover the pee of the other dog.......very pleased and relieved to say that he didn't :thumbsup:

Edited by Huntia

I've had one dog that did it and have been wee'd on by other dogs and had my dogs wee'd on as well and it was def. a case of dominance each time.

I've often wondered if it was a dominance thing. I've met a couple of dogs that wee on people as a matter of course. One in particular is a desexed male who lives with a man, and only wees on women. He sometimes comes to my park and pretty much goes around weeing on each woman in turn, but never wees on men. His owner is gay and jokes that his dog just hates women and only likes gay guys, and I actually wondered whether it may have something to do with the dog just not really associating much with women. But that seems.. stupid.. it's perplexing, though.

Interested to read others' replies.

The first time I ever went to a dog show a small dog and his owner happened to pause next to me, and the dog christened my leg. The owner didn't notice, but my very tactful father made a joke about me having legs like tree stumps, which did not improve my mood :(

I'd be quite curious about this as well, I've seen an entire male in a foster situation pee on a puppy, presumably as a dominance/I'm not certain what's going on here signal.

When i was about 10, i was taking our desexed toy poodle, Dudley, for a walk. I sat down at the local oval for a rest and Dudley walked behind me a peed on my back! The little f**ker cocked his leg like i was a freakin' tree :laugh: I'm not sure if it was a dominance thing or not; it certainly could have been since Dudley's general behaviour in the family gave the impression he was head of the household. :laugh:

I have only had a dog pee on someone intentionally once. I was having an argument with the woman and my male border colie looked at her and peed on her. I think he may have been siding with me :laugh:

I have never had a dog pee on me or one of mine on any1 else, but I just recently took on a foster who peed in the water and have since found out this is common :eek: i have never encountered it before this dog .Why on earth would they do that :confused:

I've had a dog at the park pee on me twice, and both times his owner was mortified and said he doesn't pee on anyone else. I rarely see them there so it could have been several years between piddles, but his reaction to me was the same. I see them walking sometimes up there now but I keep away, it happened years ago so I wonder if it would be the same, I'm not going to test it. I'm sure he's desexed and he seems an otherwise friendly gentle dog, doesn't come across as dominant.

We have had a couple of dogs in rescue that would always pee on me when I went near them... seeing as they loved me to death above all others, we decided that it had something to do with them marking me as "theirs"...

Random peeing, I have no clue...

T.