Petting Dogs At A Dog Show.

Blackdogs

I think it is polite to ask if there is someone around.

Years ago I went to the Melbourne Show and they had Great Danes there. There was a dog sitting in the boxes they sit in and there was no one around, so I gave him a nice chest rub.

I turned to walk off and someone grabbed my shoulder, I looked over my shoulder to realise it was a pig paw sitting there, apparently the Great Dane hadnt quite had enough of the chest rub.

I think it is polite to wait until someone is around before touching their dog.

I came back to one of my dogs in it's trolley going off it's brain, because some numpty had decided ( while I went to the toilet ) to come under my tent, wake my dog up and proceed to stare it in the face and crouch down to get a closer look...

I didnt go under anyones tent, if I see a dog sitting alone unattended, in a public arena and showing good body language, I will go and say hello and give it a pat. If I see a dog sitting outside a supermarket, I will say hello and give it a pat.

I apologise if people think thats wrong.....but ill probably keep doing it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is polite to ask if there is someone around.

Years ago I went to the Melbourne Show and they had Great Danes there. There was a dog sitting in the boxes they sit in and there was no one around, so I gave him a nice chest rub.

I turned to walk off and someone grabbed my shoulder, I looked over my shoulder to realise it was a pig paw sitting there, apparently the Great Dane hadnt quite had enough of the chest rub.

I think it is polite to wait until someone is around before touching their dog.

I would suggest dont leave your dog unnatended if you are that concerend about your dog. The Royal Show is (or was) a pretty open area with the dogs sitting about 2 feet from the public walkway

As I show at the Melbourne Royal I know the set up very well. Unfortunately I do have to attend the ladies from time to time and if the person I asked to watch my dog is distracted, like untangling another dog caught up in the tether, it does mean my dog is left exposed to people like you who have the hide to think it is a petting zoo and you can do what you like. Extremely rude behaviour.

It's a shame that your friend was put off by the rudeness of these people. My experience didn't really put me off purebreds, I have two of them from great breeders. :)

Doesn't bother her, she just goes to rescues for her dogs. She does pay out on me every time I mention a show experience though, as she still thinks it's all full of nutters. Trouble is, when people are so rude to the public they don't know who that person is in 'real' life - offending people who may have policy and regulatory influence is not smart when dog breeding is already under pressure. Best to treat people with common courtesy and retain credibility.

People should ask before they pat a dog. I personally do not like anyone touching our silkies pre-show. All it takes is someone to have something oily or sticky on their hands. Its okay after we are finished in the showring. I am okay for people to pat our Aussie and Newfoundland whenever, as not as much grooming goes into them. Also, you don't know how a dog will react. I can't stand people who rush at dogs and don't even ask to pat them.

It's a shame that your friend was put off by the rudeness of these people. My experience didn't really put me off purebreds, I have two of them from great breeders. :)

Doesn't bother her, she just goes to rescues for her dogs. She does pay out on me every time I mention a show experience though, as she still thinks it's all full of nutters. Trouble is, when people are so rude to the public they don't know who that person is in 'real' life - offending people who may have policy and regulatory influence is not smart when dog breeding is already under pressure. Best to treat people with common courtesy and retain credibility.

Exactly. Plus, being rude to you was a bit idiotic considering how hard it is to find good, well-informed, homes for sighthounds.

We went to the Sydney Royal on the day the Wei's were showing with the specific intention of meeting breeders and their dogs. However we had contacted the breeders we wanted to chat to before hand and they all asked us to see them after the judging was over. While we were wandering about checking the judging out an owner of a Longhair Wei actually brought his dog over to the edge of the exercise area and encouraged us to cuddle and play with his dog, which was fantastic, still didn't convince my wife on longhairs though :( Anyway, we spoke to the breeders and being able to see so many of their dogs in a single place and seeing other owners of their dogs really helped us to make a decision on who we'll be going with. We weren't taking it upon ourselves to play with everyones dogs though.

I think there is something about the show environment, particularly the volumes of people you see at the Easter show, that makes people forget basic courtesy and see the interaction as a right rather than a privilege or benefit. I also think the show organisers should be a bit more concerned about the dogs welfare in regards to the environment, we went to the Sydney Royal twice and it really needed some sort of crowd control, the hall was too crowded and the heat from so many people must have been awful for the dogs, not to mention the sea of hands being thrust through the fence!

Exactly. Plus, being rude to you was a bit idiotic considering how hard it is to find good, well-informed, homes for sighthounds.

It was actually an exhibitor at the Royal Melbourne Show many years ago who first introduced me both to her dogs and to the idea that Greyhounds are not vicious beasts that can't be trusted because they've been trained to chase and kill. Some good PR :thumbsup:

I didnt go under anyones tent, if I see a dog sitting alone unattended, in a public arena and showing good body language, I will go and say hello and give it a pat. If I see a dog sitting outside a supermarket, I will say hello and give it a pat.

People don't think its wrong it is wrong ,selfish people who think they can just pat a dog because they feel its there right is what piss people of at shows .

That is someones private property you are dealing with .

May i ask if a dog did bite you what would you do??

Keeping in mind your selfish act means that dog is wiped out for 6 months through someones selfish need at a show.

In public it could end up a declared dangerous dog or PTS .

Have you ever considered the otherside of what you do or does that not matter ??

At the royal show i do have a sign about patting the dogs when in the public touch zone.

Keeping in mind royals for example have fencing between dogs & the public so they can't touch but many feel they can move the fence or rails & do what they please .

It simply says please ask before patting ,the royal for example is a very long day with alot of people who unfortunately don't care about doing things right.

Many parents need shooting for the way the teach there kids to approach dogs .

I have dogs who deal well with all situations but even after 6 hrs the novelty wears off.

You have kids with balloons,face paint,fairy floss,toffee apples,toys that make all sorts of weird noises & it can be daunting .

At a normal show it is still common manners to ask before touching but its amazing how many don't .

My dachie was wonderful in public but true to his breed in his crate he would protect it till the end ,some breeds have different characteristics in there crates & out & people seem to apply the one rule fits all & that is very scary .

I actually attended Sydney royal for the first time this year & there set up is by far the safest from the public

Although i have to say us show people have to deal with alot of rude general public from 9am to 5pm at royal shows ,general shows are so much nicer for all.

Edited by showdog

I havent been a dog show competitor, I was always happy to stay right away from the 'precious' show people that are the stereotype of dog showing. Ive done obedience trialling which is completely different, no members of the public to deal with much there.

I have been one of those annoying members of the public who want to pat ppls dogs in the pavillion,& chat about their dogs breed.Based on my personal experience there are the cranky pants ppl you can spot a mile away and the nice ppl who are happy to chat and let the kids have a pat. I have always asked first, and my kids are always close to me as I dont want them making a judgement mistake, something children do, & trying to pat the wrong dog.

I am going to start show my new pup very soon, and have to say, I have been so pleasantly surprised by the welcome and help I have been offered by more experienced show ppl. It wasnt at all what I had expected based on my experience as a spectator at ag shows.

I would like to think that most ppl are polite and prefer to think the best of the ppl until proven otherwise, it is a shame that there is this stigma about show dog ppl being precious and nasty, its ppl like the lady who decided to tell you not to pat someone elses dog who give normal show ppl a bad name IMO.

I think that if you are exibiting at a big royal show then you have to accept the sad fact that there will be some idiots who do the wrong thing! I hope the show organisers will improve the layout and the space in the pavillions for everyones sake though,because it is always a risk that an accident happens. it sounds like a lot of valium needs to be on hand for exibitors and dogs alike at big shows

I haven't in all my years come across many rude people at shows with the public,

Some may have explained why better but by the same token some of the public don't take being told not now well either & sometimes people need to do the sorry you can't because you can feel your dog isn't clicking with them or they have young children who are being monsters & with no control by the parents.

Owners of any dog in any public situation are responsible for there dogs actions & we have to make decisions on whether we want the dogs patted or not from what is also demonstrated by people.

Its amazing how many parents bring there young children to shows who are terrified by dogs & even though its a safe environment in manys ways forcing a scared child to walk around dogs can end badly .

There are people who drop there kids off at dog shows & then go shopping because they can apparently play with the puppies .

You do need eyes in the back of your head because you also get the nutters who have evil intentions.

People have let dogs out of crates,poisoned,chopped coat off & others things so no matter what owners need to be stranger danger aware of even there pets .

Like Diva, I've taken my husband to a few shows, and he is always taken aback at just how rude some exhibitors can be to spectators.

I grew up at dog shows; my parents showed, I showed as a teen, and I'm always polite, and ask first before interacting with any dogs, and look for times after dogs have been in the ring, and yet my husband's overall impression is that showies are exclusive and unfriendly for the most part. I'm sufficiently persistant, and luckily I've found most people in my chosen breed helpful, but I can certainly see how members of the general public can be put off 'show dogs' by some people's behaviour.

I think people need to realise that humans are just that, and that showing is a hobby not a career and the outward professional veneer that's expected may not always be perfect.

If having a completely crappy day people may not set out to be inadvertently rude to people, but when patience has been worn thin by other factors human nature can come to the fore and people can be narky or snappy.

As a hypothetical - If I was at a show, had a crappy start to the day (I had a flat tyre coming home the other day - if it was in the morning I may well have been in a foul mood before I even arrived!). Then come up against a bad mannered opponent / official / judge / spectator etc or all the multitudes of things that can come up at short notice to wreck an otherwise nice day out - I might have far less tolerance for strangers. I might even sink to being an utter cow if the day was being crappy enough.

Does that make the stranger in the wrong? No. Does it make all show people nutbags? No.

Sometimes, like was mentioned at the start of the thread, we might need to shrug, think "Geez, she/he needs a Bex and a bit of a lie down" or "Sheesh, she just bit my head off, possible pms alert!!" etc etc and move on. Humans are just that after all, not perfect robots.

I so remember the time a child wiped ice cream all over my dog when they ran up to pat him just before we were to go in the ring.... Not fun!

My dogs love attention and at royals they do get plenty of time 'up front' for pats and to meet the public. But even they can't do that all day and need some down time. If someone wants to pat my dog during that downtime they will (as politely as possible) be told no and I expect people to respect that.

I certainly don't appreciate anyone patting my dogs without asking. Simple courtesy goes a long way. I am happy to have people meet and greet on my terms but frankly the reason I am there (to show the dog) and my dogs welfare outweighs any wishes of a stranger.

The lady the OP mentioned, sounds from the account given to be rude and the comments uncalled for, but after a day in a pavilion at a royal (deafening and constant noise, heat, constant questions, often a VERY early start to the day and virually no sleep, and no escape from any of it) sometimes tempers can get short on even the nicest people.

Edited by espinay2

I so remember the time a child wiped ice cream all over my dog when they ran up to pat him just before we were to go in the ring.... Not fun!

My dogs love attention and at royals they do get plenty of time 'up front' for pats and to meet the public. But even they can't do that all day and need some down time. If someone wants to pat my dog during that downtime they will (as politely as possible) be told no and I expect people to respect that.

I certainly don't appreciate anyone patting my dogs without asking. Simple courtesy goes a long way. I am happy to have people meet and greet on my terms but frankly the reason I am there (to show the dog) and my dogs welfare outweighs any wishes of a stranger.

I've had fairyfloss stuck in the Samoyeds coat before and another Samoyed exhibitor ended up with tomato sause all over her dogs head just before she was due in the ring.

White dogs and sticky fingered children are a bad mix at a dog show!

I think it's different to pat a dog sitting outside a supermarket or something - peoples arguments for not patting dogs at shows are that you might ruin it for the show ring, that argument doesn't apply to a dog tied up to a chair while the owner buys milk (which I think is an irresponsible thing to do in the first place, but that's not the point of this thread).

Apart from the point that patting a strange dog is never a wise thing to do for your own safety, an "object" left alone does tend to become public property in the eyes of society. Although I've noticed even when sitting outside in cafe's and having my puppy's leash attached to my chair makes her public property and means people can come up and pick her up (yes, pick her up!!!!) to give her a cuddle.

I don't let the public touch my dogs at Royals until 1) we have been in the ring and 2) only when I am supervising.

I'm not worried about the dogs' behaviour - just at the humans......dirty hands (greasy food, fairyfloss, tomato sauce, cream and god knows what else), offering all forms of bizarre food, attempting to sit children on them....the list goes on.....and my particular pet hate is having a dog on the table grooming him and having someone just come over and start ruffling fur - and then get snippy when you (politely at first) ask them to cease and desist.....my normal comeback is "If I walked up to your kid and started patting him/her would you get annoyed?" Most parents of course say yes and I point out well that's the way that I feel about my dogs....I have no problems with people asking politely and if we have exhibited I will bring a dog out for people to touch and cuddle.....

and my second pet hate is people getting 2 feet from their faces aand using flash photography - it REALLY annoys me.......

We were at a Dog Show once in the 1980's and my ex saw a lovely Lhaso Apso and went up to it while the lady was preparing it for the showring and ruffled it up and was all gooey with it and got it all hyped up! :eek:

I told him off and he was very apologetic, the Lady was VERY gracious and said it was fine but had to get her knitting needle out again to redo this part! Typical of him he just acted before he thought.

Knowing now what I didn't know then, I think the public can be a bit ignorant, particularly at the Royals as they are told the animals are there for their viewing/amusement/entertainment. Which to a certain extent is true, however, as with all dogs, one needs to ask first and also respect that people are busy.

I've met and chatted to some lovely people at the Melbourne Royal and my sister and her family decided to get a Standard Schnauzer after meeting some and spending ages with them and their people at a Royal a few years back.

You did nothing wrong, some people just get their backs up even if it has nothing to do with them. Although I must say I wouldn't have left my dog with a stranger and walked off either. :confused: Just in case of one my fellow Showies thought someone was handling my dog without my knowledge. Dogs have been stolen before.

I was at a show recently (just as a spectator) and saw a beautiful dog. I looked at the dog and spoke to it saying "oh arn't you lovely" the owner told me in a rather harsh, unfriendly voice "dont touch my dog" Well I wasn't planning to....jeeeeeeeeeeeeze take a chill pill lady!

Usually before shows the exhibitors all look busy and stressed so I never ask to pat dogs before a show. After they have been in the ring if I want to pat a dog I always ask first. I was at a Royal once where I was standing back admiring a line of beautiful Dobes after they had been in the ring and the breeder came up to me with a smile so I asked if I could pat the dogs. She was happy to chat to me about them while I fawned over the beautiful creatures. I think for shows like the Royal where the public is so involved and up close with the dogs its important to be friendly and promote your breeds. I would totally understand if showies didn't want anyone near their dogs in smaller, more private or important shows though.

A couple of years ago I went to the Royal Show to see the animals. This is the only reason I tend to go to the show, the rides and show bags don't really interest me. I particularly enjoy seeing the dogs and will often choose a day that some of my favourite breeds are being shown.

If the exhibitor/owner is present I sometimes ask to interact with their dogs, some of them say no, others seem genuinely delighted that I'm showing an interest and agree. I don't expect all people to be okay with me petting their dogs, and it doesn't bother me if they decline, however, on this occasion I was surprised when I got a very hostile reaction.

A lady was brushing her GSD in a stall and I asked whether I could pet him/her, as the dog seemed relaxed and content. The lady said 'of course' and then wandered off leaving me with the dog who was soaking up the attention. A lady in the stall next to her however, took this opportunity to berate me.

She told me that the dogs were not there for my 'personal amusement', they were there to be shown and that no one should be asking to pet any of the dogs. She told me I shouldn't be touching other people's property and instructed me to leave the dog alone.

So. Am I missing something here? Is this the typical attitude of showies towards people who want to inteact with their dogs? Are they just generally too polite to tell the public to piss off when they ask to pet their dogs? Was this a terrible faux pas on my behalf?

I know there are a lot of show people in here, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Maybe she was jealous you were not showing interest in her dog.

I would have been uncomfortable if the exhibitor walked away leaving me alone with their dog. If that happened, I personally would walk away. You don't know if they will come back and say you did something or if the dog will do something with the owner walking away.

Going to a dog show like that, you have to expect people to come up and want to pat dogs. It can be annoying when you are trying to groom before a show, or if the dog is feeling stressed at the time. But otherwise, I don't mind people patting my dogs.