Most And Least Favourite Breed.

Blackdogs

if you want it to be what suits you best and least, maybe you should change the name of the thread?

Dogs that suit me most in different ways - English Setter - friendly, gentle, calm. Weimaraner because they are active, loving and while a lot of dog I feel they suit me.

Dogs breeds that suit me least I'd say would be the terriers - too much dog for me I'd say, for most of them, although i admire many of the terrier breeds for looks.

I'd prefer to leave it up to the reader as to how they answer the question.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be perfectly honest, I'm a dog lover first and foremost.

I don't necessarily have "favourite" or "least favourite" breeds, although obviously there are breeds which I choose to live with now or have in the past for various reasons and not necessarily because they're favourites or have been relegated to non-favourite status.

I have met dogs from most breeds now and it's really a dog-by-dog situation. There are DOGS from some breeds that I really love, there are DOGS from some breeds that I really don't care for. But I don't think I could blanket wipe an entire breed, or alternatively elevate an entire breed to demi-doG status in a general sense.

I agree with this, to some extent, but there are breed characteristics that don't suit me or my needs. Sure, you might find individuals within those breeds that break from type, but genrally speaking breeds have attributes that or may not be suitable for one's individual taste or needs.

who cares people own what they like ,there are plenty of dogs out there to suit what people want .

I find people's likes and dislikes when it comes to almost all things kind of interesting. Human diversity is fascinating. :)

I have learnt the hard way that I am not (and more so my family are not) suited to breeds that are generally more feisty, headstrong and dominant. I adore many of these breeds (ie bullbreeds, GSDs) but just dont have the mental strength to be constantly working with them to maintain peace. And I do love a harmonious house.

I love "calmer", more biddable, owner focused breeds like gun dogs. My GR, temperament wise, is a perfect fit with us, but as she ages you can expect me to start asking for suggestions for less hairy substitutes!! :laugh:

However, I do agree with Ellz, I have met individual dogs of all kinds of breeds that defy breed generalisations.

I would always keep that in mind. Essentially all I want in a dog is a companion who is easy to live with according to my lifestyle.

I don't necessarily have "favourite" or "least favourite" breeds, although obviously there are breeds which I choose to live with now or have in the past for various reasons and not necessarily because they're favourites or have been relegated to non-favourite status.

I have met dogs from most breeds now and it's really a dog-by-dog situation. There are DOGS from some breeds that I really love, there are DOGS from some breeds that I really don't care for. But I don't think I could blanket wipe an entire breed, or alternatively elevate an entire breed to demi-doG status in a general sense.

I agree with this, to some extent, but there are breed characteristics that don't suit me or my needs. Sure, you might find individuals within those breeds that break from type, but genrally speaking breeds have attributes that or may not be suitable for one's individual taste or needs.

Breed characteristics may not suit MY needs either, but that doesn't mean that I cannot LIKE the breed or that it should be relegated to a LEAST favourite position.

I have favourite groups........Utility, working and gundogs and I have least favourite, toys and terriers...but i have met great individual dogs in those groups i really like. It is more what suits my lifestyle

Favourite: Schipperkes and ACD's. Why? Schips - big dogs in little bodies, willing to please, very funny, incredibly cute, aloof with strangers unless I approve, trainable

ACDs: pretty much the same as schips, except for the little body part :laugh: Beautiful dogs to look at, and both ACD's and schips are incredibly loyal.

Least favourite: I think anything from the hound group I could just not live with :laugh:

Unlike what many others have said, I like terriers, after my little staffy cross girl - she is an excellent problem solver, and is in her element doing agility and clicker taining....however that could just be from whatever other breeds are in her :laugh:

Guest lavendergirl

Most Fave the list is long but to top it would be berenese, GSD, Rottie, Dobe, Goldie, Aussie, Irish setter ect.... all have very individual reasons and alot are very different in size and temperament but all are stunning dogs.

I have a dislike of small dogs except the beagal and chi hua hua (sp?)just something about those 2.

I don't like their believe they can take on a large breed, alot of the are socially arrogant. I know this isn't all dogs, but majority of the ones I've met. No offence intended.

Socially arrogant?? :confused: They are dogs :laugh:

Least fav is GSD I've been bitten by a few during my lifetime and I am afraid of them. Only breed I won't go near no matter what.

Favourite are hounds and gundogs. Love the way gundogs are so responsive to training and so steady temperament wise. Also think they are beautiful looking dogs. Hounds rock cos they are so easy to live with.

Also love kelpies amd shelties.

Favourites are the bull breeds, particularly a lean but well muscled APBT (I'm a sucker for the red colour/red nosed combo too, just think it looks magnificent), then Amstaff, then SBT...

Least favourites have been Lakeland Terriers and Welsh Terriers, as I've only met a couple of dogs of each breed and really disliked them. Happy for my mind to be changed though.

There's lots of other breeds that I don't dislike at all but would never own as they just don't suit me... Labs, the working breeds etc.

And there are other dogs that I love but I'd never own because I can't handle the short average lifespan (Danes, Bernese Mountain Dogs)

This sums up how I feel too Ellz. I can appreciate the good in many breeds, though there are many that wouldn't suit my lifestyle/ family.

I wouldn't dismiss a breed as my 'least favourite' because of a few badly behaved/ tempered individuals. I can understand though, that some people might be traumatized by bad experiences (eg. dog bite) that make them wary of a particular breed.

I'm not saying it was your intent Blackdogs, but this sort of thread can become quite divisive. The poor old terriers and bull breeds usually come out the worst. Just saying.....

Obviously favourite dog breed is a Samoyed :laugh:

Although I love love love Havanese and OES.

What would suit me least?

A cross breed, I have no interest in them, I like to know what I'm getting myself into.

I'm not saying it was your intent Blackdogs, but this sort of thread can become quite divisive. The poor old terriers and bull breeds usually come out the worst. Just saying.....

this is true - but when I say I don't like bull breeds it's pretty much not based on much more than looks and my parents never letting me near them as a kid (I was also one of those kids who had to be held back from 'strange/unknown' dogs because I was so used to friendly sheep dogs on the farm). I don't mean to offend with my ignorance :S

I do love terriers though :p I had a half terrier (she's Silky terrier X Maltese) and she was super biddable, quiet, scruffy and could keep up with me riding my horse. So yeah - that's my super duper good experience with "small, fluffy *not-so* yappy" breeds (dad wouldn't have kept her long if she barked - she's real quiet).

This sums up how I feel too Ellz. I can appreciate the good in many breeds, though there are many that wouldn't suit my lifestyle/ family.

I wouldn't dismiss a breed as my 'least favourite' because of a few badly behaved/ tempered individuals. I can understand though, that some people might be traumatized by bad experiences (eg. dog bite) that make them wary of a particular breed.

That said, they're probably the most popular dogs in Australia. I can't source it for you, but I'm sure I read recently that statistically, Staffords, Labs and JRTs are the most popular breeds, so regardless of how they come out in threads like this, they're doing well enough :)

That said, they're probably the most popular dogs in Australia. I can't source it for you, but I'm sure I read recently that statistically, Staffords, Labs and JRTs are the most popular breeds, so regardless of how they come out in threads like this, they're doing well enough :)

Most popular in pounds too :(

Not so much labs, but definitely Staffies and JRTs...

Quite a few Kelpies and maltshitz in there too.

Flavour of the month :(

Once apon a time I would have had an answer but nowadays it's more like "Breeds I would probably never own but still admire and Breeds I would love to own." :)

Which is pretty much what I said above. What are they?

Okay, so high on my list are dogs that have a good capacity to learn, lower on my list are those that are more, shall we say, "challenging" :laugh: . With everything in between, being decided in terms of it's needs and my ability to meet them, ie. current dog family, grooming, exercise, current work commitments etc.

I tend to not enjoy "barker breeds" too much or those that are difficult to keep in a yard. Oh, and don't really want anything that is hard to house train (and I don't just mean toilet train but all the social 'house rules' too.)

I can't see anything other than Cavaliers in the foreseeable future though, as I am not sure if there will be time for another beautiful GSD in my life when the current boy passes over. That said if a Rescue adult turned up that had lived in a house full of Cavaliers I'd take it in a heart beat. :D

I have an obvious favourite or two :p first one to guess wins a goldfish :rofl: , and the rest are all pretty much equally lovely even if I would never own one.

Definitely not adding a least favourite breed.

Firstly, haven't met them all and secondly it's more likely to be actual individuals I don't gel with rather than a whole breed!

I have a weakness for pied SBTs. I'm not sure why or how it started either but they all deserve hugs and kisses. I used to think my least favourite breed was anything that drools but so far I've owned an OES and am fostering shar peis and have come to love dribbly dna! On the bottom of my list right now are yappy, poorly trained chi (like the ones that live across the road from me and drive my dogs crazy with their wandering).

I think all breeds have something beautiful and admirable about them when you get to know more about them. Dogs are just magical!