Most And Least Favourite Breed.

Blackdogs

I am a self confessed Crazy Dog Lady... love them all really.

Anything unsocial turns me off completely.

To own and share my life with? I prefer short coated dogs that don't require a lot of grooming because I'm lazy like that... *grin*

Like Staffyluv, I like a boofheaded dog - and you can't beat the staffy smile...

Dogmad - I must introduce you to my Zeddy. She's a Rotti/Pittie, and I think she would be happy to show you that not all dogs with her genetic makeup are nasty... how do you go with nearly 30kg of lap dog? hehe!

T.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all dogs & animals so could love any dog that landed here but given a choice Poodles are my breed & favourite. Great Dane is my 2nd.

Least favourite is based on looks as I merely accept temperament variations as part of a living creature, except aggression although I prefer my dogs to be affectionate companions if possible of course. Sharpei would have to be the breed I can think of that would never tempt me looks or personality wise I think we would be a mismatch but who knows.

Squashed in face breeds scare me. I would panic & be saying breathe, breathe if they started snuffling. Drool breeds not for me either.

Interesting how people perceive nature in breeds, not always so. Just a guide really.

Edited by Christina

Must say, if nothing else, there are some very interesting generalisations in this thread.

And I have to say, not a lot of "judge the deed and not the breed" or "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners". Makes me wonder if it is even possible to educate some people or if BSL is going to be the end deal in the future because if people who frequent a forum like this aren't getting the message, what hope have some breeds got in the BIG picture? :mad

Favourite - Borzoi, Borzoi and Borzoi, then any of the Belgian Shepherd breeds, then anything sighthound.

Least favourite - anything that wants to root me, lick me incessently, bite me or my dogs, or yap for extended periods. These are of course least favourite behaviours, not breeds.

My favourites would be Italian Greyhounds (I rescue and own) and some terriers - Borders, Airedales, Bedlingtons. You'd be hard pressed to ever come across a nasty example of an Italian Greyhound, they have beautiful natures with other dogs especially.

My least favourite would be staffies and Pit Bulls, I won't tolerate dog on dog aggression or unpredictable temperaments so they are definitely not the dog for me.

Could you expand on what you mean by 'unpredictable temperament' Dogmad? Dog aggression, sure, we all know it can be a part of the breed, but I'm not sure what you mean by the above?

English Cocker Spaniels and Beagles are my favourite breeds. I love everything about them.

I'm not into terriers, bull breeds or tiny breeds. Terriers and little breeds annoy me (or maybe it's just the people I know who own them) and I don't like the look of bull breeds

Omg SNAP I also like Shetland sheep dogs and tollers and awww what am I saying all gundogs and working dogs!!! I just love the English cocker spaniels goofy nature they are intelligent but you would have a hard time believing it.

I don't like bull breeds purely for the looks, and I have had way to many JRT, JRT crosses and other SWF alao other terriers run up and attack me and zorro I know they are not all like that but it has turned me of them now I told OH if he wants one it will be his dog.

I generally like working breeds, however being in a job where I get to see many different types of dogs I have learnt that there are good and bad dogs in every breed. I prefer to judge the dog as an individual not based on breed. Some really lovely dogs have totally changed my mind about a certain breed, so I'd wouldn't say there is any one breed I don't like. However, there are certain breeds that I would be unlikely to own as they just don't fit into my lifestyle and it wouldn't be fair on either of us.

Must say, if nothing else, there are some very interesting generalisations in this thread.

And I have to say, not a lot of "judge the deed and not the breed" or "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners". Makes me wonder if it is even possible to educate some people or if BSL is going to be the end deal in the future because if people who frequent a forum like this aren't getting the message, what hope have some breeds got in the BIG picture? :mad

It also makes the topic of Patting dogs at dog shows & the comments/attitude of people when at shows more open now to those who think some people are dog show snobs when infact put up with alot of generalized comments & dislikes towards breeds & it stands out in there body language

Not all people like all breeds, there is nothing wrong with that. Breeds are different. There are some breeds that I don't like based on their breed standard - not on a few individuals. Of course, I won't mention them here because people take it waaay to personally.

I have terriorists and not every one likes them. That is fine with me. In fact, I see it as a good thing as there are far to many terrier owners who can't handle them and seem to have bought them on looks alone.

I'm not a fan of breeds that have been bred for dog aggression in the past. I have small dogs that wouldn't stand a chance against them so I avoid them. This doesn't make me ignorant or a BSL supporter. It is just common sense.

I'm not a fan of breeds that have been bred for dog aggression in the past. I have small dogs that wouldn't stand a chance against them so I avoid them. This doesn't make me ignorant or a BSL supporter. It is just common sense.

No it doesn't, but at the risk of offending you, it does make you guilty of generalisation and judging the breed and not the deed. Not every dog that has been bred for dog aggression in the past retains those same characteristics today and each individual should be taken on its own merits.

I am far more likely to judge the people WITH the breed and before I will completely avoid a particular dog, I will watch the people who are supposed to be in control of it and engage (or not) accordingly.

My fave breed would probably be the Great Dane. They have the most beautiful nature - I've had a few Dane "friends" growing up and always thought I'd have one of my own as an adult. The only reason that we didn't get a GD when we bought our first dog was due to their short lifespan.

Least favourite would be the Cattle Dog I'm afraid. I used to do a pamphlet run when I was a kid and there were two of them on my usual run that would sneak up behind me and nip me on the back of my legs every time I encountered them. I've been a bit scared of them ever since.

isn't the whole point of having breeds because they have different traits?

That's why it's important to choose the right breed, a breed that is compatible with someone's personality and lifestyle.

Personally I don't believe in "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners". There are dogs out there with very poor temperaments that their owners have not been the cause of.

Edited by raineth

No it doesn't, but at the risk of offending you, it does make you guilty of generalisation and judging the breed and not the deed. Not every dog that has been bred for dog aggression in the past retains those same characteristics today and each individual should be taken on its own merits.

I am far more likely to judge the people WITH the breed and before I will completely avoid a particular dog, I will watch the people who are supposed to be in control of it and engage (or not) accordingly.

Of course it doesn't mean that every dog from that breed is aggressive. However, I'm not going to just assume that they're okay and find out that they're not. I know the breed standard for those breeds and what characteristics they should have - those characteristics mean they don't generally play well with my dogs.

This isn't offensive or discriminatory, it is about making smart choices for my dogs and not just assuming that every dog is friendly.

Of course it doesn't mean that every dog from that breed is aggressive. However, I'm not going to just assume that they're okay and find out that they're not. I know the breed standard for those breeds and what characteristics they should have - those characteristics mean they don't generally play well with my dogs.

This isn't offensive or discriminatory, it is about making smart choices for my dogs and not just assuming that every dog is friendly.

Do you include some terrier breeds in that?

Aussie Terriers will always be my breed of choice but I love all breeds. They each have their own uniqueness and their own quirks, which makes them gorgeous in their own individual way!!

I find terriers very easy to live with and sure, you need to be firm but that's part of their charm.

I've also posted on this forum that after Zeus (beagle x JRT) that I'd never own a hound. I've since changed my opinion; I'd love to own another hound. Sure, I found training Zeus much more of a challenge than any of my Aussie Terriers but I believe that came down to experience. I'd never owned a hound before and my usual training methods, though fine for my Aussies, weren't suitable for Zeus.

He's nearly 3 and whilst every day I'm still working on his recall and loose-leash walking, he's a delightful boy with a zest for life, love and learning. He's eager to please and will do what I ask because he knows it makes me happy.

It hasn't been easy sailing all the time, and quite often I've been frustrated to the point of tears with him, however, I've learned alongside him and we're the best of friends. It's been a real experience and eye-opener but I wouldn't change it for the world!!

Maybe one day I'll have the guts to take on a Saluki, which I would love to own one day!!

And I have to say, not a lot of "judge the deed and not the breed" or "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners".

I didn't bother adding this sort of thing to my post because I thought it was just a fairly light hearted thread. I also thought that "there are no bad dogs, just bads owners" was pretty much understood and agreed on by most people so there wasn't much point repeating it.

isn't the whole point of having breeds because they have different traits?

That's why it's important to choose the right breed, a breed that is compatible with someone's personality and lifestyle.

Personally I don't believe in "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners". There are dogs out there with very poor temperaments that their owners have not been the cause of.

I agree raineth - there's a different between generalisations like "I hate xxxx because they're dog aggressive" and "I hate xxxx because they're prissy little sh*ts that bark at my dog", and observations like "I dislike terriers/gun dogs/toys because my they wouldn't fit in with my lifestyle/I prefer dogs that need hardly any exercise/I like dogs that want to work" etc.

Particular breeds and groups tend to have particular traits, and are bred with this in mind. Individual dogs all have different personalities, temperaments, likes, dislikes, etc. In my opinion it's partly genetics, partly experience.. the age old nature vs nurture debate. A bit of each, but with general tendencies toward particular behaviours and traits. Understanding that, and what that means for owning that particular type of dog isn't discriminatory, it's sensible.

I don't really see people getting upset over it here, either, because people here tend to appreciate the differences between groups and breeds. As someone said, people not liking terriers for particular traits they haven't isn't a bad thing, it means less ill suited terrier + owner combinations, which is best for everyone!