Anonymous Users. Why?

nawnim

Why do people log in anonymously? I am not too sure what is to be gained. Are they lurking? I feel a bit spooked when I have just posted something and there at the bottom of the screen I see that 10 anonymous users are logged in. :confused:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find a lot of Admins and Moderators use the anonymous logins, plus others for there own reason.

As an example, I run a few aquarium based forums, and when not logged in as anonymous I can be sure to get half a dozen PM's

every time I log in with people asking to edit, move, delete content…

There are not enough hours in the day for that kind of attention, so the anonymous login gets used most times

Why do people log in anonymously? I am not too sure what is to be gained. Are they lurking? I feel a bit spooked when I have just posted something and there at the bottom of the screen I see that 10 anonymous users are logged in. :confused:

I don't see that it matters either way? The option is offered, some people choose to use it. :shrug:

Whether someone logs in as anonymous or not, they're still rather anonymous anyway, being just a user name to most others on DOL.

For me it's just a habit to check the little box of invisibility on log in with the remember me box. I log in anon more times than not, usually if you see my screen name it's just because I forgot to check the little box.

No reasons for it. I do enjoy the itshitzyou factor it gives some people though. laugh.gif

And by the way, general dog discussion is for dog discussion. This should have gone in the subforum down below asking questions about the forum. Sorry to be such a pedant.

Signed

Anon

And by the way, general dog discussion is for dog discussion. This should have gone in the subforum down below asking questions about the forum. Sorry to be such a pedant.

Signed

Anon

Maybe the anon's logged in are dogs. Therefor we are discussing dogs :winner:

I log in as Anon because I want to log in as Anon - why it should be anyone else's business is beyond me :laugh:

Besides, it's pretty typical for me to start reading a thread then get distracted by something else (even work sometimes! :eek: ) leaving the thread open, only to come back to it hours later. If I wasn't anon, then people might think I'm a reeeallllyyy slow reader, or something :laugh:

I log in as Anon because I want to log in as Anon - why it should be anyone else's business is beyond me :laugh:

Besides, it's pretty typical for me to start reading a thread then get distracted by something else (even work sometimes! :eek: ) leaving the thread open, only to come back to it hours later. If I wasn't anon, then people might think I'm a reeeallllyyy slow reader, or something :laugh:

LIKE :rofl: