Show Great Dane Worth $27,000 Stolen From Rv (us)

Maxiewolf

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/pets/ci_20585152/great-dane-show-dog-stolen-near-scotts-valley

SCOTTS VALLEY - A Great Dane valued at $27,000 was reported stolen from a recreational vehicle outside Scotts Valley on Tuesday.

Knight, a 175-pound, 18-month-old male dog headed for the show ring is believed to have been taken from the 2400 block of El Rancho Drive, said Santa Cruz County sheriff's deputy April Skalland. The dog had been bred for shows, but it had not yet been shown, said his owner, Naud Robinson.

Robinson, 60, said he had barely slept since the dog disappeared.

"We were tied at the hip. We did everything together," said Robinson.

He had been living in the motor home with Knight and Lily, a female Great Dane. Robinson said he is from Monterey but had been living on the property temporarily for a construction job.

Robinson said he was at the grocery store when he believed the dog was stolen.

"It was just so hot (Tuesday) that I thought he'd be fine for an hour. I never thought for a second he'd be taken," Robinson said.

Knight was in the RV behind a gate and a roll-up door that was unlocked in case of emergency. Robinson said someone likely entered through the roll-up door.

It was not possible for the dog to escape, he said.

Robinson's other dog, Lily, was not taken from the RV nor were other electronics and valuables.

Robinson bought Knight from a breeder in Australia for $27,000. The dog is not insured. He'd planned to show the dog and use it in his breeding program.

Knight is black and white and about 3 feet tall. He is microchipped for identification but was not wearing a collar.

The dog's full name is Riverwood's Venustus Knight. He is registered with the American Kennel Club.

The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office asks anyone with information to call sheriff's dispatch at 471-1121 or the anonymous tip line at 454-2847.

Follow Sentinel reporter Stephen Baxter on Twitter @sbaxter_sc

Stolen Dane, Still not recovered

I realise the story is a month old, but I found the news article just now by following a lost poster on facebook this morning. Thoughtit might be relevant since he came from an Australian breeder, lets hope his distinctive look gets him found.

Weird!

I met that dog's sister and her owner about a week ago .. . .we were going to the same garage to get tires changed and she had her dog with her.

Had a long talk about dogs and Australia.

She said the guy was an irresponsible idiot and neglected his dog. She said "he claims he's worth $27k".

It cost me ~$5k to ship two Labradors from Perth to San Francisco in 2010 . . . so the price quoted probably had more to do with bragging than shipping.

$27K? Really?? I doubt it .....and he cropped the dog's ears after it arrived I assume? Wonder how old the poor little buggar was.....

I guess it depends on what you are familiar with.

I have an import that cost me no less than $35,000 AUD.

If someone asked me what my dog was 'worth' - yes it would be 35,000 plus some.

'The poor little bugger' probably had his ears cropped in his country of origin.

$27K? Really?? I doubt it .....and he cropped the dog's ears after it arrived I assume? Wonder how old the poor little buggar was.....

'The poor little bugger' probably had his ears cropped in his country of origin.

But apparently he was imported from Australia. :confused:

edited: Anyhow I hope he finds his dog.

Edited by trinabean

Weird!

I met that dog's sister and her owner about a week ago .. . .we were going to the same garage to get tires changed and she had her dog with her.

She said the guy was an irresponsible idiot and neglected his dog. She said "he claims he's worth $27k".

It cost me ~$5k to ship two Labradors from Perth to San Francisco in 2010 . . . so the price quoted probably had more to do with bragging than shipping.

The 27k could have more to do with bragging - like how good the dog is and his worth as a stud dog to their breeding program.

Maybe the dog traveled USA - Eur - Australia, to do a show circuit?

Lots of scenarios are possible.

I don't know why fellow breeders have to think the smallest of every other breeder.

27k?

Cool. Good to read about a breeder who has pride in their bloodstock.

So the dog had it's ears cropped in a country where ear cropping is legal?

Still doesn't make it a poor little bugger.

Unless that's the way you describe every recipient of a veterinary procedure.

So the dog had it's ears cropped in a country where ear cropping is legal?

Still doesn't make it a poor little bugger.

Unless that's the way you describe every recipient of a veterinary procedure.

I was simply pointing out that any ear cropping wouldn't have happened here.

Edited by trinabean

I didn't know you can show mantle Great Danes. I thought that colour is not acceptable.

Even if it is, $27000? I really doubt that too.

Yes mantle Danes can be shown :)

Considering is weight i dare say it would never hit the ring,it must be a very over sized dog or very very fat .

US height is 32 inches or more

That is the minimum height, you would have trouble finding a pedigree male Dane that is that is only 32 inches. Most of the ped females are bigger than that. There are plenty of entire male Danes that hit 80kgs without being fat.

Weird!

The 27k could have more to do with bragging - like how good the dog is and his worth as a stud dog to their breeding program.

Maybe the dog traveled USA - Eur - Australia, to do a show circuit?

Lots of scenarios are possible.

I don't know why fellow breeders have to think the smallest of every other breeder.

27k?

Cool. Good to read about a breeder who has pride in their bloodstock.

The guy isn't a breeder. He has no fixed address and lives in an RV (illegal here). Is that a way to keep two Danes? The story says the dog was bred for shows but has not been showed. Would a dedicated breeder pay big bikkies for a dog and then let it reach 18 months without having been shown? I'd rather see people manifest pride in things their dog had achieved or how well it behaved than how much they payed for him or her.

$27K? Really??? I doubt it.....and he cropped the dog's ears after it arrived I assume? Wonder how old the poor little buggar was.....

Hmmmm..who sets these prices. I bet $27K isn't what he paid for it but what it's insured for and now the dog is missing. I wonder how long it has to be gone for the insurance company to pay out. Yeah, yeah I know, age/life has made me cynical.