Dog Washing & Conditioner

Just wondering if people use conditioner on their long haired dogs?

I was buying shampoo and conditioner today for the dogs and it got me thinking if it was actually worth it. There was such little selection and so many 2 in 1 shampoos that it got me thinking I may be in the minority using it.

Guest donatella

When I washed her at home I did, only because it made brushing any knots out later far easier.

I've given up these days though and pay someone to do it for me because it took so damn long :laugh:

I use conditioner on both of mine every time I wash them but not all over. I mainly do their pants, behind their ears, tails, where ever it tends to dry out more & therefore tangle.

Edited by BC Crazy

My GSD isn't a long coat but conditioning helps his blown coat come out better

and this time of year his skin is drier so I use a leave in oatmeal one

If you do use conditioner it will take longer to dry

When I was in Perth we started using conditioner on two of our GSDs to help with itchy skin issues and it did the trick. Since moving to Melbourne, their coats have improved dramatically so I might not need to use it anymore. The vet did say they see a lot of skin issues in dogs moving to the west coast from the east, dogs that didn't have issues before they moved. We'll see if the dry skin issues disappear after their next bath now we're back in Melbourne.

My GSD isn't a long coat but conditioning helps his blown coat come out better

and this time of year his skin is drier so I use a leave in oatmeal one

If you do use conditioner it will take longer to dry

That's interesting, I find dogs dry faster when conditioner has been used.

Conditioner is great if you have a dog that tangles

I condition all my dogs with every bath, I also do the same with my grooming clients dogs. I have a few different conditioners to suit every kind of coat. That includes the poodles.

I find it makes the coats easier to manage, leaves a nicer finish and helps repel dirt ect between grooms.

I always use conditioner, even on my Stafford. Mind you, I dilute both shampoo and conditioner very heavily for him. He doesn't get bathed much between shows either. Since diluting everything and following with a vinegar rinse, I've had no issues with scurf on show days.

As for the Lowchen, every week (except for the last month since my dad died when he has been somewhat neglected)in the bath, shampoo and conditioner. And every night, spot cleaning of face and belly (and ankle bracelets if he has misaimed at pee-time).

If it takes longer to dry a dog after you have used conditioner, you've possibly either used too much or not rinsed out well enough I'd say.

Just something that popped into my head from the depths of my memory bank.....shampoo opens the cuticles of the hair and conditioner closes them and seals and protects from damage and breakage.

Maybe not correct but it was sitting there for some reason! :eek: Will no doubt be corrected if I'm wrong! :laugh:

It does depend on the coat texture. I would only condition the parts that got quite dirty on the OES... pee area, front legs and face. I wouldn't condition the rest because the coat is coarse and should remain that way.

The setters are always conditioned.

I dont wash her too often as in summer she swims everyday and just gets rinsed off, she is very heavy coated and tangles heaps, I am allways fighting knots! I have used leave in conditioners and they did help a bit. Recently I had cause to wash her before a long road trip, as 12 hours in the new car with smelly dog was not an option :) I used Curash Baby 2 in 1, advertised as anti tangle. WELL what a difference! She came up soft and shiny, brushed out beautifully, and 4 weeks on is still soft and silky, and much less tangles. I know what I will be using in the future. :thumbsup:

Interesting never noticed if she dries quicker with conditioner, she takes AGES to dry and will not have a bar of the hairdrier.:D

Depends on the type of coat, but no I don't use conditioner as a rule as it softens the coat too much.

I do use a final leave in rinse after washing that I sponge through the coat. Most often it would be a few squirts of Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil and a capful of Fido's Herbal Rinse in a bucket of warm water.

Guest english.ivy

Would you condition the pants of a Belgian Shepherd? I never have and noticed as she gets more adult coat, she gets dreadlocks in her pants.

The hair around that area is very course, compared to the rest of her coat.