Something Freaky Just Happened.

luffy4688

I've just been woken up by the weirdest thing ever.

I was lying in bed with my dog, Bailey in his crate sleeping about a meter away from the bed, just like every night. All of a sudden, he let out what I could best describe as a high pitch scream that woke me up. Lying in bed, awake, he made another exact same scream and came charging out of the crate.

Startled, I turned on the light and what I saw was a very frightened dog that refused to come to me. When I tried to advance towards him, he retreated to the corner of the room and refused to budge. This lasted for like 5 minutes. Not wanting to reward him for the wrong behaviour, I got the leash, put it on, and brought him out for a 15 minutes walk, being careful not to fuss over him or shower him with any extra attention.

When he came back home, he's still refusing to enter the bedroom. He's one of the most food-motivated dog I have ever seen and he's not being moved the slightest by food this time around. Can anyone shed some light on this? It's kinda freaking me out.

Edited by luffy4688

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a nice way to wake up

Could there be something in his crate? - anything from a sharp edge to a spider etc that 'bit' him (real bite or a 'stab' from something sharp).

Often the most extreme reactions come from what they don't understand (just like us :-)). So if he was asleep and received a pain, he would be more likely to jump and be frightened when it may be a much smaller pain than would normally get that reaction

Guest lavendergirl

I was going to ask about whether there was something in his crate as well. Has he settled down this morning?

I find it interesting that often people are reluctant to reassure and comfort a frightened dog in a calm manner - not specifically your situation luffy but just generally.

I know the theory is that you are re-enforcing the fear but I wonder whether that is really valid. A prominent vet behaviourist here describes that theory as "nonsense" and believes that offering the dog "calming signals" is more effective.

I'm thinking either a bite or a nightmare. I knew a dog that sort of sleep walked, well, he sleep sat. I was looking after him for some friends and he'd gone to sleep in my lap. All of a sudden he sat up slowly and started waving his head around. I was startled and said his name several times but he seemed unaware of me. I finally roused him and he was fine, just curled up and went back to sleep. I told his owners and they said he does it all the time. I've heard dogs bark, growl and whimper as well as wag their tails and move their legs, but I never knew until then that dogs could be so animated in their sleep.

I'm wondering if your boy just had a terrible dream.

I recall seeing a video on youtube of a dog having a dream and running into a wall, people seemed to think it was funny, I didn't, the dog seemed very confused.

Edited by Kirislin

I would also suggest a cramp , or a pain of some sort ... and the dog now associates it with your bedroom/his crate . Don't make a fuss of trying to get him back there ....just let him settle .If he is really frightened ...it may take some time.

Maybe then move his crate to another room, and leave it open ..but put treats/food bowl inside . Let him work it out .

Keep an eye on him , and see if he moves any differently /limps, etc . ..

Guest donatella

I'd say he might have been bitten by something. Do you have any white tailed spiders in your area or anything like that?

This was my thought too! Insect/cockroach, mouse anything to have scared the beejebus out of him. I'd be the same if any of those came near me in the middle of the night :eek:

Ghost!

our Joey is very very reactive to unseen things in the house :eek:

He's bolted up upright many many times on our bed to start yapping at something , and is really fixated on it. Usually he wags tail too lol

He gets the spooks all the time .. I used to put it down to just bad dreams but who knows hmmmm.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I'm thinking leg in a bad position, possible stuck and pulled at that hurt him? :(

If its just the one time, I would possibly think its something like that has unsettled and scared him.. or a bite from something.

Have you checked he doesn't have any fleas on him? Some dogs are extremely sensitive to fleas.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I find it interesting that often people are reluctant to reassure and comfort a frightened dog in a calm manner - not specifically your situation luffy but just generally.

I know the theory is that you are re-enforcing the fear but I wonder whether that is really valid. A prominent vet behaviourist here describes that theory as "nonsense" and believes that offering the dog "calming signals" is more effective.

there was a good video about this but I can't find it, but here's an article with the jist of it - http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms :)

(and the follow-up article - http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/tag/reinforcing-fear-in-dogs )

Hope the little mite is feeling better this morning :hug:

Edited by Weasels

Guest lavendergirl

there was a good video about this but I can't find it, but here's an article with the jist of it - http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/you-cant-reinforce-fear-dogs-and-thunderstorms :)

(and the follow-up article - http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/tag/reinforcing-fear-in-dogs )

Hope the little mite is feeling better this morning :hug:

Great articles Weasels - thanks for the links. This approach makes sense to me - to comfort an obviously distressed dog with calm reassurance and things like massage rather than to ignore.

My previous german shepherd (slept in my room)

Suddenly his low growl woke me up. I had never before heard such a strange sound

coming from my dog.

I switched on the bedside lamp and here he was looking at a point 2cm just above the carpet,

backing away, his hair stood on the back. He ignored my voice.

Needless to say i got such a fright as there was absolutely nothing where he was looking.

Perhaps dogs/animals can see what we can't see (?)

Edited by GSDowner

Suddenly his low growl woke me up. I had never before heard such a strange sound

coming from my dog.

I switched on the bedside lamp and here he was looking at a point 2cm just above the carpet,

Needless to say i got such a fright as there was absolutely nothing where he was looking.

Rat behind the wall?

One of my cats did this to me once. I was staying in an old house in a little country town. Being a city girl at that stage I was a bit un-nerved by the silence anyway. Both of my cats were asleep on my bed, then one of them woke me up in the middle of the night by sitting up and growling, all her fur sticking up on her back. She just stared into space and growled. Eventually she settled down and curled up and went back to sleep, which was more than I did!

coming from my dog.

Alright. Updates! I just got home from work.

I left for work @ 5.30am this morning and told my partner to keep an eye on him. My partner woke up later in the morning realizing Bailey is in visible pain/distress, hardly being able to walk, and shivering. Not being able to leave work, I told her to bring him to the vet asap.

Long story short, the vet said Bailey most likely woke up abruptly and the sudden movement sprained both his neck and his hind leg as his muscles might be still tense from being fast asleep in the same position for a prolonged period of time. The doctor did some chiropractic work and his neck seems fine now but he's still limping slightly. He's been prescribed some Phenylbyutazone tabs. My partner was too nervous throughout the ordeal and didn't really remember what the doctor said regarding the tabs. Can anyone shed some light what the tab does?

So now we're suppose to limit his activity to just a short leashed walk for the next week until he's due back to the vet to check up on his hind leg.

Thank you for all the replies so far! :)