Breed Specific Rescues

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Sorry another question. Do you only take breeds with proof of papers?

I've seen up here a rescued Dane who'd been used as a breeding machine and they were advertising for a foster carer. I asked them if they had contacted Dane rescue nicely and they said no because breed specific rescues don't take breeds without proof of papers. I know some breeds rescues only rescue purebreds but I didn't think they needed to come with paperwork, I thought even looking the part was proof enough?

I could be very wrong though, I was just making a suggestion, would hate the likes of a Dane to get into the wrong foster home :eek:

From what I know, Dane rescue also take crossbreds.

I recall seeing crossbreds on their website not that long ago, too :shrug:

For us, as long as it looks purebred, we're happy to take it. We also take some crossbreds, depending on what the cross is (I won't take bull arabs) although we don't see many lurchers down here anyway.

Guest donatella

That's what I thought. I suggested because I think sone breeds are best left to their experts. Not that all breed rescues can't and don't do wonderful jobs, because they do, but I wonder the sort of apps they'll get advertising on FB for a foster for a Dane. I thought something of that size should go to an experienced carer and not a random liker off FB.

ETA i've had a look through their page and looks like they get a few of the bigger guys so most likely know what they're doing :D

Edited by donatella

I run iggy rescue and we take Italian greyhounds regardless of whether they are purebred, byb etc. We also take iggy crosses as long as they have the iggy temperament.

We also take ther similar natured breeds when we have the capacity. We have a Chinese crested powder puff at present and we have also taken whippets.

We do all breed rescue, but if we get in an obvious purebred, we will sometimes contact the breed rescue for advice (if needed), or for adoption prospects - many breed specific rescues have lists of people waiting for that type of dog.

If we get in a papered dog, we will contact the breeder to see if they want to take the dog back, or give us advice, etc, on adoption prospects.

There have been times when we've had a purebred in care and the breed rescue has contacted us demanding we give them the dog... in those cases we tend to get a little stroppy with the attitude...

T.

At Iggy Rescue, if we discover another group has taken an Iggy then we will offer them all our support (they are a breed with a lot of unusual idiosyncracies) and in some cases, we are able to forward a suitable person from our waiting list to adopt the dog. We only keep people on our waiting list that our familiar with the breed and have got a suitable home etc.

We do breed rescue and we certainly don't require papers in order for us to take a dog. We don't do crossbreds but as long as we can see the dog fits the breed characteristics of a purebred then we will rescue. BYB purebreds dont come with papers and sadly we get a lot of them. :mad

I've seen up here a rescued Dane who'd been used as a breeding machine and they were advertising for a foster carer. I asked them if they had contacted Dane rescue nicely and they said no because breed specific rescues don't take breeds without proof of papers. I know some breeds rescues only rescue purebreds but I didn't think they needed to come with paperwork, I thought even looking the part was proof enough?

I could be very wrong though, I was just making a suggestion, would hate the likes of a Dane to get into the wrong foster home :eek:

Sounds like they have never contacted Great Dane Rescue or any other breed specific rescue

because the whole point of Breed Specific rescue is to look after dogs often without pedigree papers.

imo the group are crapping on :)

Knowing the dogs Ams takes in there are some that only have a whiff of pei in them but she takes them on regardless. I don't know for her whether it is a logistical thing, a desire to ensure any pei traits are catered for or if she just falls in love with their smooshy faces? No complaints from me as one of her foster carers either way - no wrinkles refused at our house!

Dane Rescue and Rehoming (GDRR) NSW will take any dane as long as their rehomeable and they have space (like any rescue), regardless of papers. They will sometimes also take dane x's depending on the situation and the availability of foster carers. Clearly the group in question just didn't want the groups help for whatever reason, which is sad for the dog in question. GDRR have many people on their wait list, just waiting for the right dane to come along so they can give them a forever home...

Heya, probably 95% of the dogs we assist to rehome don't have papers.

Not here, dogs with the original papers are in the minority. If there are papers 90 per cent of the time we would contact the breeder and ask them when they will be making arrangements to pick up/rehome the dog anyway. The only time we wouldn't do that is when the dog is no longer owned by the breeder and we've made a judgement that it wouldn't be in the dog's best interests to go back to them.

Usually it's a matter of someone with breed expertise taking a look at the dog, you can nearly always tell who bred it or the lines behind it because the styles are quite distinct in Australia. If you have a microchip match you have your answer. There are also unregistered dogs around where the parents are known.

Of course, if "papers" is code for "the dog's not pure" then yes, breed rescue has to draw a line somewhere. If you contact the IW club or IW people with information about a "wolfhound" that is 23 inches high they are not going to be interested. Breed rescue has to draw the line somewhere just like any other rescue, resources are finite and need to be concentrated on the specific breed.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

In this case I think it's pretty clear that they haven't contacted breed rescue at all. But yes, we are contactly all the time about Dane x's which we are not able to help in most cases as we struggle enough with resouces just for the actual breed and we are breed specific.

You might find some rescues are a little cautious when their breed is commonly crossed with other things that may pose a problem. Deerhounds and Irish Wolfhounds spring to mind, and I'm sure Danes would sometimes see similar issues - when crosses (pigging mixes in particular) look somewhat like a purebred and therefore people contact breed rescue for them. Some sorts of crosses are a big call to take on as they can be (not always of course) prone to dangerous or very difficult behavioural issues.

But being cautious doesn't necessarily mean saying a blanket no.

We list every greyhound that is purebred on our website, with the aim of the website being to help retired racing dogs find loving pet homes sooner by being easier to find. There have been a couple of requests to put greyhound cross breeds on the site however we have declined due to the main aim being to list retired racing dogs only. With these dogs being earbranded most of the time if they were registered to race it is clear that they are pure bred dogs without seeing their racing papers though

Every Greyhound

Email me

"Its not about the people behind it, but the dogs in front of it"

My link