Rspca Denies Adoption To Non-pr

andrewang

Hi guys,

Something's been bothering me lately and I hope you guys can give me some feedback on this matter.

My gf and I always wanted a dog, we had dogs back in our country and life felt different without one.

We went to the RSPCA and met this cute little guy, the piece of paper on this enclosure says he's a stray but he's wayyyy too intelligent to be a stray. (When i asked him where's the ball, he picked up the tennis ball in his enclosure and pressed it against the door hoping I would throw it.)

I spoke to my gf and decided to get him, so we returned the next day and boy how excited he was to see us again.

I spoke to the staff about an adoption, she glanced at me from head to toe (i'm a student from singapore btw) and asked if I'm a citizen of Australia. I said no and she replied "No citizenship, no adoption, sorry". I asked why and she said I'll probably just hand the dog back to them when I return to my country. I told her I intend to bring him home with me back to singapore and she said "RSPCA policy" and walked away.

Well since I have no right to adopt anything from them, I asked if I could play ball with the dog a bit before I leave and she said only people who are serious about adopting are allowed to touch the dog.

I stormed off the RSPCA and vowed never to return again.

I was just thinking about the dog again and I'm wondering if he's now in a good home or cremated and dumped somewhere with all the others who were unwanted.

Edited by andrewang

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something quite pathetic in the behaviour of the RSPCA worker.. Obviously you know dogs. It couldn't be that hard for them to work with you to get what they consider an appropriate outcome. Maybe if you were to approach a rescue kind of group and get them to get the dog and you become a foster carer with them and when it is time to go make arrangements to take the dog with you. The CEO of Animal Welfare managed to take dogs from Korea and heaps of US and Aus citizens bring "strays from india and bali back here. I can see why you are peed off.

I wonder if she asks all non-caucasian, or "non-australian" looking people that question?

Also, I wonder if you need proof of your status for adoption? Like, can you go back another day and say yep, I'm a citizen and walk out with the dog?

(but doesn't a stray just mean he wandered away from home? so he might be well trained, just lost. poor little tyke :(

I do sympathise with you but I know the RSPCA has had dogs returned by overseas students in the past. Your case is certainly different because you intended to take the dog home with you.

I was there picking up a rescue dog and a young man(student)from overseas was applying to adopt a dog. We were chatting and I asked him how long he would be in Australia and what would happen to the dog when he returned home. He told me he would be going home in 2 years and would return the dog to the RSPCA when he was due to leave.

I informed the RSPCA of his intentions and he repeated them to the woman who was processing the adoption papers. I was pleased they refused to allow him to adopt because I thought it was unfair to the dog.

I felt responsible then for the welfare of this dog and am happy to say he found a great home with a neighbour of mine after I told her the story. This dog is getting on now and he lives the good life with my neighbor who loves him to bits. A much better outcome than being dumped back in the pound with who knows what future lay ahead for him. Many dogs who are returned are euthanised.

ETA: It sounds like the RSPCA worker was rude and abrupt but I don't think there was racism involved.

Edited by cavNrott

Sorry that you were refused but organisations all have to have rules and some are in place for very good reason.

How can they know that YOU are different from all the rest. Perhaps if you showed them where you'd be living in Singapore and that you knew how much it would cost you to get the dog back, all the regulations etc you'd have to follow to get the dog there then maybe you'd convince someone to let you have a dog. Make an exception for someone (if you can) and sometimes you are making a mistake on the dog's behalf.

I live near a university with many overseas students. Many of them go to petshops and buy dogs that they then get euthanased or dump or rehome to other students, when they are leaving to go back.

As unpalatable as that may be to you and other readers - it is the truth, I have seen these unwanted dogs many times - advertised, sitting in the vets waiting for the needle unless a rescue group takes them (and that's only one vet in the area that deals with rescue, we haven't heard from any others) or running round the streets until they get hit by a car or picked up by someone or the ranger.

I have a suggestion for you, as you love dogs why not help in a different way by foster caring for a dog - that will help the dog find a home in Australia and when you return to Singapore you can help another dog there. I did see a news feed about cruelty to dogs in Singapore so there must be refuges over there or organsations that help stray dogs?

I never got asked if I was an Australian citizen when I went to the RSPCA.

I did get asked if I owned my own home. But I didn't have to prove it.

I made several trips to the RSPCA but they didn't have any dogs I liked at the time. And I made one trip to AWL and they did have exactly the puppy I wanted (even though I'd gone out to look at a different dog).

I reckon if you want the dog - get an Australian looking/talking friend to go and adopt the dog for you then sign it over into your name. Will be a bit of a PITA for the microchip but the rest of it should be straight forward.

I know one person who was an OS student - and he rehomed his GR because he didn't think he could safely keep it in China. And I know someone else who took both her dogs (they were not from RSPCA) back to Singapore with her. She was a bit sad about it because where she was - there aren't many (any) nice places to walk two small dogs. She did own her own home in Oz - go figure.

Please don't hold the actions of one racist RSPCA staffer with some bad experiences against the whole organisation.

I've also known them to turn away people who are trying to adopt one of their dogs - who haven't brought the whole family (including pets) with them. Some of the staff get a bit rigid in their attempts to make sure dogs get forever homes. So if one person or even 10 do the wrong thing - eg one of the most common reasons for giving up the dog is renting and moving to somewhere that doesn't accept dogs... they make it a blanket rule that nobody in those circumstances gets to adopt. I suspect all that does is encourage people to lie.

There is no rule that you need to be a citizen - you need to permanently reside I. Australia though (ie not be on a visa). This is to prevent dogs being dumped when people realize that'll need to pay many thousands of dollars to take the dog OS (not saying this is what you'd do, but this is why they have the policy.

She was rude and could have explained the policy politely and informed you of alternatives (eg fostering).

This policy is not racist as some have implied - it has nothing to do with race but rather is a response to a significant cause of dog dumpage (moving OS).

So i gather then all these wonderful Aussie citizens who enabled there dogs to be in the RSPCA in the first place are examples of good owners??

We actually board alot of overseas students dogs(Singapore) & thus far all have taken there dogs back with them,

we have on the other hand boarded many dogs owned by Australians moving overseas who couldn't be bothered to take there dogs .

Not defending the lady but doesn't sound like she was being racist more going through the motions of seeing people like yourself (of all nationalities) day in and day out that are not suitable homes (not saying that you aren't, just by RSPCA standards) and I guess she has to do her job, quickly and without drama. Maybe you could ask to volunteer and build up a rapport over time and then perhaps become the exception to the rule?

Guest Willow

.I've also known them to turn away people who are trying to adopt one of their dogs - who haven't brought the whole family (including pets) with them. Some of the staff get a bit rigid in their attempts to make sure dogs get forever homes. .

That policy is in place to ensure everyone in the family likes the dog, and the dog likes everyone in the family. Would be a bit sad if the dog was returned after a few days because Dad didn't meet the dog and they hate each other! The pets rule only applies to other dogs, which is for a fairly obvious reason.

Racism was never an issue to me. I love Melbourne and the people here. I've met some people who are not as nice but I don't care.

My issue here is why can't a adopt that poor fellow? And why can't I even play with him? It's true they have volunteers walking the dogs everyday but they can't give every single one of them alot of attention.

I only wanted to help and spend some time with the dog. And if I'm RSPCA, shouldn't my main objective be rehoming all the dogs. people who made an effort to visit the place and pay the adopt fee should be given the benefit of a doubt. They are always complaining about over crowding and how they have to put down so many unwanted dogs but when I offered to take one off their hand, they rejected me.

This just isn't right. I'm trying to give that dog a new life.

I thought you were looking for an English Cocker Spaniel to take back to Singapore with you?

The RSPCA's objective is the welfare of the dogs they rehome, not just giving one to anyone who hands over the money. Anyone who cares about the welfare of the dogs they sell would be concerned about your citizenship status and what that means for the dog.

Large organisations like the RSPCA have policies of who they will sell a dog to. If you were to buy a dog from a breeder or other individual, they may be more open to persuasion.

I thought you were looking for an English Cocker Spaniel to take back to Singapore with you?

The RSPCA's objective is the welfare of the dogs they rehome, not just giving one to anyone who hands over the money. Anyone who cares about the welfare of the dogs they sell would be concerned about your citizenship status and what that means for the dog.

Large organisations like the RSPCA have policies of who they will sell a dog to. If you were to buy a dog from a breeder or other individual, they may be more open to persuasion.

I'm surprised you remembered! I'm still waiting for my ECS. Already on the waiting list of one of the most respected ECS breeder in VIC. My pup should arrive Feb-March 2013.

My gf and I were bored and decided to visit the RSPCA and take a look. that little fellow some how connected with us.

I'm guessing that the moment the OP saw this particular fellow, there was that certain inexplicable something that connected. The foster org sounds like a good way to go. You could apply to be his foster carer and build a rapport that way. When it comes time to go home, you should be able to prove your suitability as a responsible dog owner and ability to finance this little guy's trip home with you.

I'm guessing that the moment the OP saw this particular fellow, there was that certain inexplicable something that connected. The foster org sounds like a good way to go. You could apply to be his foster carer and build a rapport that way. When it comes time to go home, you should be able to prove your suitability as a responsible dog owner and ability to finance this little guy's trip home with you.

I emailed RSPCA regarding my issues with them and they did ask me to try foster care. I registered my interest and she said someone will call me regarding foster care but I never got the call. From then on, I just couldn't care less.

I think the problem is - that they don't ask everyone if they're a citizen. If they asked OP, they should have asked me.

And for the others - they should make it really clear over the phone before people rock up - that they need to bring the whole family - I agree - it's important, not that a dog who is friendly away from home, will be quite so well behaved when they all get back and it realises the new dog is staying.

I know some OS students do the wrong thing, well it helps if the right thing (and the cost of that) is made clear to them. But way more dogs are there because Australian citizens did the wrong thing.

The CEO of Animal Welfare managed to take dogs from Korea and heaps of US and Aus citizens bring "strays from india and bali back here. I can see why you are peed off.

Really, they pay the many thousands required and put the dogs into quarantine as required? well good on them. Pleased to read it.