Are 2 Dogs Better Then 1

Guest donatella

I've never lived with an entire male and i'm not sure what they're like. I'm presuming more humping and pissing and I need to factor Lucy into that.

only if you let them get away with it. And desexed dogs and bitches can be just as bad! Treat it like another training task.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love having more than one dog! I only get one when I want one for myself though. I wouldn't run a puppy and adult dog together at all so for me it is never about keeping my other dogs happy, but whether I want a dog for myself. I'm quite sure my beagle would be happy on her own never having to share my time or attention, too bad for her I always want more than one :laugh:

Edited by huski

Guest lavendergirl

I would run a mile from an arrangement like that - what is the benefit for the buyer? You are obligated to keep an entire dog whether you like it or not for someone else's benefit. This arrangement should only be for the very experienced IMO and a $500 reduction is nothing. I would find another breeder - I am sure there are others and have the security of sole ownership. I am sure you will want to have the dog desexed further down the track especially with already owning a female.

I would never now be without 2 dogs. At present we have 3, 2 mine & 1 my son's. Up until my son's dog came into our lives in 2000 we'd only ever had 1 dog at a time. As others have said 2 are better than 1. It's so much fun watching them play & interact with each other. The 1st 2 times a 2nd dog was added there was a 7.5 yr age gap. When I got Panda, Tilba was 4.5 y/o, I didn't want to wait any longer because she was used to playing with Sooty who has slowed down in the last couple of years & another play mate for Tilba was the way to go.

As to the breeder's terms, I thought it was fairly common practice. When I'd 1st heard about it several years ago, I'd thought, no way. I think you've thought everything else out well, but this throws a spanner in the works. You need to get all the details, write down everything you can think of with the help of the posts here.

As to keeping an entire male, all my dogs as a kid were entire males. Panda was my 1st as an adult. He started to mark at about 6 months & I had him desexed at 8 months & he hasn't done it since.

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone, this all makes lots of sense.

I popped all my concerns down to her in an email this morning just so she had it in front of her on paper. I've also told her if she finds another buyer she's happy with in the meantime to please go ahead with that as I don't want to stuff anyone around. However whilst this guy isn't 1 of a kind, he would definitely be a rare opportunity to own. He is a great example of the breed and you rarely see them being sold, most breeders would hold onto a pup like him (and she initially was going to except changed home circumstances, he is 11 weeks old currently). I can't promise a show home, I have no idea about the show ring although it is something i'm interested in (pending work requirements).

She seems pretty keen for him to come here being a close vicinity home and after having had a chat with me however I"m sure there are loads of very keen show homes who would snap him up in a red hot minute! He is absolutely stunning, I really cannot reiterate that bit enough. Poms really do come in a million shapes and sizes and even this little guys sister has a longer snout and isn't as pretty as him. You can wait a very long time for a very good quality pup, even with the best of breeders.

I guess I await to see what she makes of my email and see if Sunday still goes ahead.

I sold a boy on terms because I couldnt keep him myself. He was significantly reduced cost wise (more so than your dog). I only needed him to be entire until 12-18mths so I could get some semen samples and I was going to pay for health tests although it was expected that he would remain entire for longer. All null and void due to health issues but the owner was happy with that situation- he was very much her dog!

It is VERY common in some breeds (if you look at most Finnish Lapphund breeders sites for example you will see a large number that are co-owned) and other breeds it almost never happens.

Edited by Jumabaar

We have 4 dogs here ATM, sometimes 5 that range from 5yrs - 3.5mths it can be a lot of work but once you have a routine and plans established its not that bad at all!

We also co- own 2 of our dogs and show another (the 5th) so she's only here when it's show time.. Things like crates and baby gates are god sends. When there's no one here we have 2 sep groups usually the lowchen inside on the tiles and the lakie and the afghan outside..

One of our dogs is a whole male who only came to us at 3yrs old.. We discovered the first week he piddled around the place and he still will if we're not careful but if you look for the signs (sniffing round.. Ect) it's an easy habit to control, also cleaning where he piddled well discourages him from doing it again.. Humping only occurs if a bitch is in season or if our afghan has had a bath.. He is OBSESSED with her lmao! But once again we know the signs and triggers so we discourage him and prevent him from doing it..

But honestly its no issue.. The jump from one - two is not much diff you learn to adjust!

I'm supposed to go and see them all on Sunday but i'm not sure its a good idea now, I'd better make my mind up before then as to whether or not I will go ahead because there is no such thing as going to look at a cute puppy and saying no (in my eyes...).

I've never lived with an entire male and i'm not sure what they're like. I'm presuming more humping and pissing and I need to factor Lucy into that.

Donatella, wise lady not to look into those scrumptious puppy eyes before having made a decision. :)

I think it's up to the individual owner. I know that some people are very happy to go along with taking a p/b from a registered breeder & will make the dog available for stud duties (or also some showing?). But they're prepared to deal with all the things that go with it... as Rebanne said, some extra training. But also, as others have said, with every detail written down in a clear contract.

My own preference is not to do this. I prefer to adopt the p/b after its showing & reproducing 'duties' are over, so it has a clear life ahead as a desexed pet.

I'm supposed to go and see them all on Sunday but i'm not sure its a good idea now, I'd better make my mind up before then as to whether or not I will go ahead because there is no such thing as going to look at a cute puppy and saying no (in my eyes...).

No way in God's green earth would I take on a pet dog under those conditions. There woudl be a considerable effort involved in making the dog available at short notice and exactly when required for stud duties.

Save yourself a lot of angst and buy your next pup outright. It would be a different matter if you were going to venture into the show ring. And if you were providing all care, the dog should be free IMO. Mine was.

FYI, I have two entire males and I don't have issues with humping or pissing.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It really depends what you want.

I have 3 and love them all to insanity but.... next time there will be only one. I had only one for 2.5 years. Then came my lady-hooligan and my great love aka foster failure.

I find that having one "child" is easier and the relationship with my dog is much more fulfilling.

Ok, breeder wants to use pup as stud if i buy is this a normal occurrence?

I don't mind, I just wondered if this was normal?

I would advise you buy a pup outright but if you where to consider this make sure there is a detailed contract that covers all areas well. things like of at what age they would want to start using him & that it would only be on completion of all relevent health testing, how many times they would exsept to stud the dog out, what you would be exspected to do(as in house bitch n dog/hand over your pet & if so for how long each time)& the completion of this agreement would next an end date etc. I think it would only be something I would do with someone I have done prevous bussines or animal deals with that have works out well & benifited us both.

I keep 3 ex large breed entire males & 2 little breed entire males quite easily & enjoy them very much. But I have a good set up(with a mixture of full time house dogs, dogs that come in of a night & outside work dogs)with the right mix of temperments & personalities as well as facilities plus amble room & different trails, creeks etc for excising & free running my dogs. I have done it in a surburban sitituations with only 4 dogs & 1 entire male & i found that a lot harder so it really depends on your set up & lifestyle also.

Good luck with your decision & I would say go with buying a pup outright if you are ready to take another on.

What would be the case with timing, I wonder? If she had a bitch 'ready to go' on Christmas day, or while you were away would you be expected to dart back and drop him off? Could be a massive bummer!

Having said that, he sounds lovely, and we've always had two sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so much, we've never had any disasters or anything, but some dogs just love love love each other, like mum's two now, actually a little problematic, overnight vet trips are a pain, any behavioral naughty is suddenly doubled, and much harder to break!

We've also had dogs who were pretty well indifferent to each other, still company I'm sure, but no real care either way.

Would it be worth having them meet and see how they go? Has pup had his second lot of shots etc?

Guest donatella

I am going to meet them tomorrow morning. I am just in love with this little guy, I wish I could post a pic but I don't feel like I can because its one she emailed me so its not really mine...

He is beautiful!

I will get more details and all my questions answered then.

I will say this though, the breeder doesn't breed for the masses, she only breeds when she wants to get herself another show potential. She was going to keep the litter of these 2 herself but circumstances have changed for the interim and she now cannot. She is more interested in the perfect home then just selling them to anyone or shipping them interstate. Lucy is coming with me to meet as well.

I won't know anything more until tomorrow but I am in love :heart:

Donatella don't let your heart rule your head. There is no way I would buy the pup unless I owned it outright. You have had some very good advice from some very knowledgeable breeders in this thread, please read it carefully.

I was going to say the exact same thing stans mum. I know you love this puppy Donatella but this co ownership thing doesn't sound very fair to me & I wouldn't be entering into it at all.I am not an experienced breeder but you

would be surprised how many "lovely little puppies" you could fall in love with with a lot less baggage than this one if you bide your time & keep looking. That's if you can't own him outright.