Male And Female Forum Members

Pollywaffle

I think I have been making an assumption about this forum for too long now..I actually thought that most of the forum members were women..probably coz I’m one !! But I just read a response in a thread and the person acknowledged that they were a man..and I was thrown. Isn’t it interesting and telling, that I associate dog ownership/care-giving to be a predominantly female activity...I really must apologise for the stereotyping and also, apologise to all those male dog lovers/owners out there...whoever you are?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Male user name but I'm female too. I pretended to be male as part of the anonymity but I've given up on that now. :laugh:

I think most rescuers, which is where I started from, are female but I would have thought agility (and obedience?) people were fairly evenly divided. Probably wrong as I am on most things. Being on Dol is a humbling experience! :)

Funny when I joined I thought most members would be men because of the 'computer nerd' image being mostly male. Soon worked out that most were female though. I think there are just as many male dog owners, but a lot of them don't 'chat' about their dogs the way we do (or feel the need to join a forum about dogs).

Also, this being a purebred forum, I'm guessing females would outnumber males in the show and breeding world and that would be reflected here.

Sabbath, they are here but you have to look hard! :laugh:

No confusion over LizT :laugh: Don't think there would be many blokes using a "female" name.

I find in the equestrian world..which was once so male dominated...with many a good horseman around..is now predominately female...except at the higher levels of competition...interesting isn't it.

All of the dog forums I am on have more women than men... Actually from what I have seen there are more women than men in agility, obedience, working trials, showing... Men are like gold in our agility clubs LOL they are so useful for shifting all that heavy gear!!

All of the dog forums I am on have more women than men... Actually from what I have seen there are more women than men in agility, obedience, working trials, showing... Men are like gold in our agility clubs LOL they are so useful for shifting all that heavy gear!!

Same with men at our agility club - we really appreciate them :thumbsup: and try to let them know that too :laugh:

For my first 10 years or so on computer networks, they all thought I was a bloke and then they'd call me gay, and I'd write "you say that like it's a bad thing". (and same if they knew and called me a female dog).

certainly on the more techy forums they all think you're a bloke.

At least now they've stopped preening and trying to impress like excited pigeons when they find a female on the net.

I get confused in here when people have cute blokes in their avatars but aren't blokes ie they put their wonderwall hero as their avatar. It's not so bad when they put their fave dog in their avatar. Note - I just made my avatar to be something easy to find when scrolling through lots of posts - like a big red(not) dot.