What Is Bitey Face All About?

Little Gifts

My shar pei foster pup must've played bitey face with my staffy girl for about an hour tonight. On the basis of canine behaviour does this game actually serve a learning purpose for the pup? Or even if the dogs are older does it reinforce some kind of acceptable social behaviour or interaction or acknowledgement of pack order?

I just started wondering about this type of play after comments on the thread about how older dogs know how to treat pups differently. I know not all dogs are into bitey face either so it started me thinking if it serves a developmental purpose or is simply fun?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed that Ziggy played it with the fosters but it was usually when he was tired, to slow down full on play or when they were just laying around of a night time before bed..

All other ody language is friendly or super relaxed, I always thought it was just a way to keep playing while laying down..

I noticed that Ziggy played it with the fosters but it was usually when he was tired, to slow down full on play or when they were just laying around of a night time before bed..

All other ody language is friendly or super relaxed, I always thought it was just a way to keep playing while laying down..

Yes, this sums it up for my dog. It's a way to keep playing when the rest of his body (and his playmate's) is totally worn out. :laugh:

:thumbsup: Bitey face rocks! :rofl: _ well according to 10.5 year old Kirra and 4 year old Rory, my two BCs. The noises are apparently a very important part of the game - as is the sneeze break - don't know if others do this, but mine have to break off briefly every now and then for a sneexe break - then it's back on.

And yes, it does seem to represent a rest break in a game of zoomies sometimes.

The noises are apparently a very important part of the game - as is the sneeze break - don't know if others do this, but mine have to break off briefly every now and then for a sneexe break - then it's back on.

OMG Yes!! I've never though of it before, but absolutely :laugh: You have to have sneeze breaks in the middle of bitey face! :laugh:

The noises are apparently a very important part of the game - as is the sneeze break - don't know if others do this, but mine have to break off briefly every now and then for a sneexe break - then it's back on.

OMG Yes!! I've never though of it before, but absolutely :laugh: You have to have sneeze breaks in the middle of bitey face! :laugh:

:rofl: yes! My pugs have to stop for sneeze AND snort breaks, and often drink breaks too (I think it comes with not having a nose)! But then they trot back to the lounge together and resume right where they left off.

I read a theory somewhere that all dog play is practice for either fighting or hunting.

In Bitey Face, they're practicing for fighting IMO but "pulling their punches". My dogs often extend the game to incude play biting at legs - a crippling move in a fight.

And they also have a lot of fun!!

I read a theory somewhere that all dog play is practice for either fighting or hunting.

In Bitey Face, they're practicing for fighting IMO but "pulling their punches". My dogs often extend the game to incude play biting at legs - a crippling move in a fight.

And they also have a lot of fun!!

Yes, you're right HW .. I'd forgotten about the rabbit trap leg breaking manoeuvre. And yes, huge fun! :D

:thumbsup: Bitey face rocks! :rofl: _ well according to 10.5 year old Kirra and 4 year old Rory, my two BCs. The noises are apparently a very important part of the game - as is the sneeze break - don't know if others do this, but mine have to break off briefly every now and then for a sneexe break - then it's back on.

And yes, it does seem to represent a rest break in a game of zoomies sometimes.

This is exactly as it happens in my house!!! Except my BC's are 6 months and 3 years!! Other than that I would write an identical description!