Poisonous Plants

JulesP

How much do you fret about poisonous plants in the garden?

The neighbor has just informed me that a previous owner of my house lost 2 dogs to some plant in the garden. The last owner pulled it up but it has deep roots or something and he thinks there might be some there still. Something that has green leaves with black spots on them. Any idea what that would be?

There are so many poisonous plants, my gardens have always been full of them. The dogs eat grass and that is about it. I haven't seen them chomping on other plants. Except as puppies and then that is normally plants in pots.

Constantly worrying about pets is driving me batty!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The neighbor has just informed me that a previous owner of my house lost 2 dogs to some plant in the garden. The last owner pulled it up but it has deep roots or something and he thinks there might be some there still. Something that has green leaves with black spots on them. Any idea what that would be?

There are so many poisonous plants, my gardens have always been full of them. The dogs eat grass and that is about it. I haven't seen them chomping on other plants. Except as puppies and then that is normally plants in pots.

Hi,

Can you take a photo and post.......also have a look at some websites.....just google poisonous plants in aust

Hi,

Can you take a photo and post.......also have a look at some websites.....just google poisonous plants in aust

I can't find any such plant in the garden. Or pictures of what it might be.

It can give them really bad allergic skin reactions and eye allergies but I've never heard of it killing a dog.

And it's Wandering Dew not Jew, for future reference :laugh:

Guess it depends on if you're in Germany or Australia :rofl:

It can give them really bad allergic skin reactions and eye allergies but I've never heard of it killing a dog.

And it's Wandering Dew not Jew, for future reference :laugh:

Guess it depends on if you're in Germany or Australia :rofl:

I suppose a wandering Jew could kill a dog if they chose, but I doubt it's common

I am a keen gardener, so I am sure I have heaps of poisonous plants, but I don't worry too much. I was pretty watchful when the young one was just a puppy, but the only thing he eats is grass. We have had many dogs in the past & have never had one case of garden poisoning. I have heaps of wandering jew around also, & they never get a rash. Maybe border collies are tough. At the moment my girl is filling herself up with mulberries straight off the tree, she doesn't even let them ripen first.

And I think you will find Minimax that it is Wandering Jew. See here Wandering Jew

Edited by sheena

Hahahaha that was my fault, here I was envisioning this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

You learn something new every day

If you want to be a smart arse it is a good idea to get your facts right first!

And mixeduppup for your info seeing as you were not around, I lost a young dog to poisoning so do not find this subject an amusing one!

I am a keen gardener, so I am sure I have heaps of poisonous plants, but I don't worry too much. I was pretty watchful when the young one was just a puppy, but the only thing he eats is grass. We have had many dogs in the past & have never had one case of garden poisoning. I have heaps of wandering jew around also, & they never get a rash. Maybe border collies are tough. At the moment my girl is filling herself up with mulberries straight off the tree, she doesn't even let them ripen first.

And I think you will find Minimax that it is Wandering Jew. See here Wandering Jew

I never used to worry but have rather a bit anxiety after Brock :(

I usually err on the side of caution because a couple of my dogs do pick up stuff off the ground. I'm pretty careful about the plants I put in, and I've pulled out some plants that I read were poisonous (some type of bamboo I think with red berries). If I didn't pull them out I'd be worrying about the dogs getting into them, and I'd rather not have the extra stress!

Hahahaha that was my fault, here I was envisioning this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

You learn something new every day

If you want to be a smart arse it is a good idea to get your facts right first!

And mixeduppup for your info seeing as you were not around, I lost a young dog to poisoning so do not find this subject an amusing one!

My apologies. I'm sorry that happened. I shouldn't have done that

Edited by mixeduppup

My dogs don't eat plants either, but the one I won't keep in the garden is oleander - just thee sap off a broken leaf can be deadly to dogs and humans. If I had any I'd get it removed by the pros - it is deadly stuff and ugly to boot. I can't understand why they were so popular in the 70's!

oleander - .... I can't understand why they were so popular in the 70's!

Mostly because a good one is stunningly beautiful. Yes they can be toxic, but it is greatly over-emphasized, no child has died in Victoria (ever) from oleander poisoning. Whereas children and adults have died from the toxin in eucs (red gum and blue gum). I have red gums growing and not about to get rid of them. We have just planted twenty oleanders, mainly for brilliant colour, but also for shade. A nearby property has a wide oleander-lined driveway, massive trees, and in fifty years they have never lost a sheep, dog, donkey or pony to the oleanders. It isn't that they are non-toxic, but there is a lot of urban myth around that they don't deserve.

Wandering Jew (Trandescantia) is a right nasty plant. At its very worst in wet weather, the sap comes out onto dogs' coats and sticks. Some dogs are not affected, piper could crash through it all day along the creek without a problem. Frodo however is super allergic, takes convulsions, and has cost us some emergency runs to the all-night vets in Waverley. They found a tick on him after one episode, and could not rule out tick allergy or spider bite, but the WJ is the main suspect. Usually the allergy comes out as a rash on the feet, quite nasty, it doesn't often cause fits, Frodo is just so unlucky.

WJ is toxic to cattle, but doesn't harm poultry. A good treatment for a patch is to fence it and run some chooks there for a while, (just lock them up safe from foxes at night). It pulls out very easily too.

Having said all that I'll just mention here, not start a snake thread. I was just walking up our laneway between the pony paddock and the nature-strip and road. Frodo and Rheneas startled a really big brown snake sunning itself in the laneway. Much barking and leaping, I thought they were swearing at rabbits so kept walking up to them until I saw it rear up hissing (quite loud, very loud) and strike at Rheneas. It missed, I think it was just a bit annoyed not really super serious, and Rheneas pouted and trotted off after Fro. I grabbed Piper and sent her after the little dogs because she hadn't seen it and I didn't want her to get involved. Then threw sticks at it til it went off into the bush along the nature strip. And I'm p'd off because I was about to rotate ponies to that side paddock, now I don't know whether to or not. And the main poison I worry about is sugar in the grass: have just got James through a laminitis attack, so the spring grass is the real enemy!

For 100 years Oleander trees have grown here ..and never has a child, pup, bird or sheep suffered . The aviary was under a tree..dogs sleep under a tree , and we were always taught to never ever touch/eat.

They are one of the prettiest flowers ..and such a tough tree .. :)