Do You Let Your Dogs Lick Your Face?

Guest Maeby Fünke

194 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dogs lick your face?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes

Guest Labradork

I think it's interesting what people find disgusting and not disgusting :)

I know. I saw someone in a public toilet walk out without washing their hands the other day, yet most people are happy to shake hands with a stranger :eek: At least I KNOW where my dogs have been :laugh:

I have a phobia about public toilets.

I don't like shaking people's hands either and I dread it when someone holds out their hand to me.

Personally, I can't see the difference between someone licking your face and kissing you.

btw

This is turning into a germaphobe thread but I'm happy to go with it :)

I'm pretty sure I have OCD to some degree :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen mine hoe into chicken poop like they just found a meaty bone. I've also watched them lick their butts and release an anal gland, watched them shove their noses into other people's crotches, watched them lick out each other's chops/lips after a tasty meal and of course, last but not least I've seen them stick their noses right up another dog's backside. No, no I don't let them lick my face if I can help it :).

I like my dogs to give me a little kiss to the nose when I ask for it, but our new dog has this habit each time you pick her up in your arms of giving you the biggest wettest licks to your neck - that feels so gross!! She also licks the backs of legs when you get out of the shower - that feels gross too! So no I don't think I really like them licking me :D

Though I am quite happy to share my icecream with them every now and again......

I thought hydatids (tapeworms) were only in raw lamb offal?

And I remember my butcher telling me that there are no hydatids in human grade lamb muscle meat.

And if you worm your dogs regularly, doesn't that help?

"And if you worm your dogs regularly, doesn't that help?" Sure does,

unfortunately its not that simple, if they hve access to any of the following they can be reinfected.

Or maybe not even infected by your dog either.

unfortunately Tapeworm eggs pass out in the faeces of infected dogs. If eaten by a suitable host, these eggs may develop into hydatid cysts in the internal organs of the host, especially the liver, heart and lung. On the Australian mainland, these cysts occur in several species including sheep, goats, cattle, pigs, kangaroos, wallabies, human, deer, camel and wombat.

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/webpages/cart-6sa36r?open

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/249686/Hydatids-the-basics.pdf

any dog, fox, or dingo that finds and eats the internal organs any one of the above species, will then be shedding the infective larve in their droppings. so any soil contaminated by dog, fox, or dingo droppings is infective. once dried and dust you wouldnt have a clue if those dirty fingers have been contaminated, dogs coats can carry the infected dust as well.

any road kill of the above species or found dead can be infective.

many people kill their own meat, those who do not know may give to dogs, many who do know, bury the organs,,, except it can be sniffed out and dug it up by enterprising canines.

so it isnt just spead by well meaning neighbours either.

Edited by asal

My pup towers over my bed pretty easily. I've found that I wake up the second I hear him walking my way and I usually turn the other way or hide under my blankets so that he doesn't lick my face. He finds it a bit hard to resist when you're lower that he is. He's also a bit weird and will quite happily lick clothes. Just a lick or two. That's way less gross than on the face, but you don't always want your clothes licked either!

I too don't touch food without washing my hands. Getting sick is no fun and I barely have the time to get sick at the moment anyway. Public toilets are pretty gross too. I never want to turn the tap back off or open the door with my hands after washing them. And then those people who try to hand you food that you'd have to touch to eat when you're at the supermarket! I'm always like, ugh...with my trolley infected hands...don't think so! :laugh:

My pup towers over my bed pretty easily. I've found that I wake up the second I hear him walking my way and I usually turn the other way or hide under my blankets so that he doesn't lick my face. He finds it a bit hard to resist when you're lower that he is. He's also a bit weird and will quite happily lick clothes. Just a lick or two. That's way less gross than on the face, but you don't always want your clothes licked either!

I too don't touch food without washing my hands. Getting sick is no fun and I barely have the time to get sick at the moment anyway. Public toilets are pretty gross too. I never want to turn the tap back off or open the door with my hands after washing them. And then those people who try to hand you food that you'd have to touch to eat when you're at the supermarket! I'm always like, ugh...with my trolley infected hands...don't think so! :laugh:

:idea: What a relief, thought it was only me get those thoughts...especially the public tiolets...love the new design ones that you push the tap and it shuts off automatically AND no doors to open to get out....yay

Edited by asal

Guest Labradork

:idea: What a relief, thought it was only me get those thoughts...especially the public tiolets...

It's funny because I actually wash my hands several times a day, especially after being in public places, but I have no issue with dog germs :rofl:

Gee this thread is making me feel like my family are filthy pigs!

We all allow the dogs to kiss (lick) us, including on the face sometimes. We will often share food with them and shock horror we don't always wash our hands before eating or touching food. None of us get sick often and we have no allergies or health issues. When I met my husband he had asthma and suffered from hay fever quite badly. He grew up in a non pet home with parents who are of the opinion that animals are 'dirty' and should stay outside. He has since been cleared from having asthma and rarely suffers from hay fever anymore and definitely not with the severity he once did.

I am a little more reserved with other people's dogs and there are a few that have come for grooming who I can barely stand to touch let alone let them lick me!

I do not let my dog lick my face. In fact I discourage all types of licking as he is the type of dog where it could easily become an unhealthy obsession.

My beloved heart dog :rainbowbridge: was a licker who would occasionally try to take pot shots at your face. He was a papillon and if you happened to move while he was taking aim you could wind up getting a French kiss! :eek:

BTW, my screen name was definitely NOT inspired by those types of kisses! :eek:

My beloved heart dog :rainbowbridge: was a licker who would occasionally try to take pot shots at your face. He was a papillon and if you happened to move while he was taking aim you could wind up getting a French kiss! :eek:

:laugh: My boy does sneak in the occasional face lick. But his tongue cover most of my face in one lick, so pretty disgusting! The cat totally puts up with it and then I have accidentally kissed the top of her head afterwards. :eek:

I think it's interesting what people find disgusting and not disgusting :)

I know. I saw someone in a public toilet walk out without washing their hands the other day, yet most people are happy to shake hands with a stranger :eek: At least I KNOW where my dogs have been :laugh:

I have a phobia about public toilets.

I don't like shaking people's hands either and I dread it when someone holds out their hand to me.

Personally, I can't see the difference between someone licking your face and kissing you.

btw

This is turning into a germaphobe thread but I'm happy to go with it :)

I'm pretty sure I have OCD to some degree :laugh:

I find that people are being turned into germaphobes these days. All the products being pushed, like anti-bacterial hand wash, we need to come in contact with germs, to help our bodies build up it's natural immunity.

There was a study done years ago, that showed that children in affluent areas got sick more, than children in poorer areas & they concluded that it was because of the over cleanliness in affluent areas.

Boston, my 8 month old pug is big on kisses - I think his breeder teaches "kisses" inplace of biting, which doesn't bother me at all. I don't let him lick my face though, just because I don't like the feeling of it. I get covered in pug snot all the time fropm pug snorts and sneezes, and both of them know if they lick my ear it's a really good way to make sure I wake up and get out of bed quickly because I hate it :laugh:

Another question, how many people let their dogs clean their plates after they have finished eating? I do it all the time, though I never tell my visitors, because they might be grossed out. :laugh:

My kids know about it, but they have grown up with it & now my daughter does the same with her dogs.

Another question, how many people let their dogs clean their plates after they have finished eating? I do it all the time, though I never tell my visitors, because they might be grossed out. :laugh:

My kids know about it, but they have grown up with it & now my daughter does the same with her dogs.

I don't, I try to sometimes pretend I'm civilised, but I'm sure my OH does when I'm not looking :laugh:

This is a big issue in our house :laugh: I let them, but my OH HATES it. He thinks it's digusting and freaks out if I do it :laugh:....soooo....I do it when he isn't around :angeldevil:

I'm sure he knows I do it but unless he catches me :shrug:

Tess doesn't lick as such, but more does this snuffly things on my face first thing of a morning to wake me up. Fleming licks my legs and hands occasionally but never my face - I've taught them not to.

I'll quite happily let them lick the dishes clean. I wash up in very hot water so they get de-germed :)

Guest donatella

Oh this happens at every meal :D

They both wait patiently for me to finish and then for the eat command :eat:

Guest Labradork

Yes, I do. They are my little kitchenhands. Their job is to clean all the dishes before they go into the dishwasher. They also get to clean out all the bowls, and any scraps that fall onto the floor, while I'm cooking.