Honest Opinions- Benefits Of Buying A Fur Kid From The Pound Vs Breede

Horsegal98

I am wanting a doggy addition to our family while we are waiting for our rough collie pup (take home eta circa march 13)

I had selected a smooth collie from the same breeder as my rough, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out.

I have the opportunity to purchase a dog from a registered breeder, and I am leaning to another rough or else a smooth collie, preferably something that is a young adult or older juvenile and not made the cut on the show circuit.

My other option is to purchase a mix through a shelter, rescue or pound.

At this point in time, with no other dog in the house, I can be flexible with what I get, but I really don't want something dog agressive and most importantly, I have 5 children that whilst they are always supervised with dogs, I want to feel safe having the dog in my home.

Can you ever have this peace of mind with a pound pet? I have spoken to some rescues who make me feel horrible for even considering getting an animal from a registered breeder, but I have always owned papered dogs from them in the past.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not sure about getting directly from the pound (it's a huge gamble) you can go to a rescue. They take great pound dogs and put them into homes suitable for both the dog and the person and it takes out the risk of getting a dud. Also dogs appear very different in a pound environment to a home environment. Rescues go through a lot to get a dog to an adoptable level both mentally and physically.

IMHO, most re-homed dogs have some sort of "issues" - not always significant ones.

Even one from a breeder may or may not be suitable in your particular home.

I'm guessing that one suggestion will be to talk to another rescue. That would be the best way to go as you can take the dog on "approval" and return if it is not suited.

If a breeder comes up with a suitable one in the meantime, then go with that.

After my last dog search, I have come to the conclusion that what will be, will be. When you come across the "right one" it will just click - no matter the source or type of dog. :) :)

I've got a pound puppy and love her to pieces - though I would recommend going to a well respected rescue so you know exactly what you are getting. Only you can decide if you would like to go to a breeder or rescue. Either way you'll still need to put in lots of work to make it a well behaved, good family animal. :)

IMHO, most re-homed dogs have some sort of "issues" - not always significant ones.

Even one from a breeder may or may not be suitable in your particular home.

I'm guessing that one suggestion will be to talk to another rescue. That would be the best way to go as you can take the dog on "approval" and return if it is not suited.

If a breeder comes up with a suitable one in the meantime, then go with that.

After my last dog search, I have come to the conclusion that what will be, will be. When you come across the "right one" it will just click - no matter the source or type of dog. :) :)

I wouldn't say that. Plenty of dogs are just fine and it's their idiot owners who had the issues.

Depends on why you chose a Collie (Rough or Smooth) in the first place.

I can never see me owning a dog of unknown origin because I like my breed and haven't found another with the same mix of traits. Other people of course have different tastes and requirements.

Whatever you do you should do it because it's the right dog for you, not because you've been guilt-tripped into "rescuing a dog"

My reasons for selecting a collie after owning terriers for many years:

- interest in competition, specifically agility and junior handler

-wanting a larger sized dog who will give voice if unfamiliar people on property and be a visual deterrent

-calm disposition known to be good with children

-generally less restless than other herding breeds, and generally less nippy

- love the look of the dog, the long muzzle really works for me.

Both options have their pros and cons. With a purebred of the breed of your choice you have some consistency that you can rely on. If you know the breed and know it suits you you can know to at least some degree the dog will fit. Don't discount breed rescue in this respect too if you really like the idea of homing a dog in need. Most breed clubs play a rescue role to a greater or lesser extent depending on need etc. providing a home to a rescue dog in general will always bring unknowns. As suggested, going through a rescue that can provide a more hands on assessment of the dogs in their care can lessen the risk a bit too.

If you choose to adopt a dog rather than purchase from a breeder I recommend going through a rescue group that has had the dog in question in foster care for a bare minimum of two weeks, rather than a pound.

Reason being is that you'll have a much clearer picture of the dog you are purchasing. Dogs in the stressful situation of a pound can behave very differently (either much better or much worse) so there's a huge unknown there.

An adult from a rescue that has been in care for some time is actually not much of an unknown at all - you'll know the temperament you're taking on fairly accurately. No less accurately than a puppy from a breeder.

Neither option is wrong or right, good luck!

It depends on what exactly you are looking for in a canine companion whether you will find it in a pound, shelter, rescue, or a breeder...

From your list, I'd say either look in rescue where the dog has been in a foster home for more than 2 weeks and has been exposed to the things you need confirmation on (ie. good with kids)... or look very hard at the industry approved Greyhound rescues (GAP, GSN, etc) - a Greyhound may suit nicely methinks...

... or stick with what you have become comfortable with in regards to breed, and check out some breeders who may have some older (but still youngish) dogs available for pet homes.

T.

I have two dogs. One from a pound and one from a reg breeder. Honestly, I see no real difference. I got my pound dog as a young puppy which is what I prefer, if I were getting an older dog from rescue I would get one that had been fostered therefore knowing more about the background.

Depends on why you chose a Collie (Rough or Smooth) in the first place.

I can never see me owning a dog of unknown origin because I like my breed and haven't found another with the same mix of traits. Other people of course have different tastes and requirements.

Whatever you do you should do it because it's the right dog for you, not because you've been guilt-tripped into "rescuing a dog"

I agree with Sandra..

I have a pound pup at the moment but mostly have only had Staffords because they have everything I am looking for in a dog/companion.

If you wanted to get a pound/rescue dog, then I would always suggest going through a reputable rescue.

What about a Collie from a rescue?

There are a lot of dogs in rescue (and pounds) through no fault of their own. Relationship breakdowns, moving to a place that they can't take the animal, having a baby (a personal fave of mine), etc - there are as many excuses for animals being in the pound or in rescue as there are animals..

However a rescue will temp test a dog so you know if it is OK with kids/cats/other dogs, if it is a jumper or escape artists, leash puller etc..

Or what about fostering, while you are waiting for your pup??

I'm fairly open to fostering, because if the dog is a perfect fit for the family we could adopt in the future.

I have looked at the collie rescues, no one has anything on the books at the moment but that could change in the future and there is no

I wouldn't get a dog straight from the pound with 5 kids in the house. Too much risk.

I would go to a good rescue who does thorough temperment testing, and also has a policy where you can return the dog should things not work out.

Personally I would go to a good breeder who health tests what needs to be done and where you can meet some of their other dogs. Also if looking for a Collie I would look for a breeder who already has progeny in the dog sport arena's if possible.

Because you would like to do dog sports and that requires a very sound dog I think even an older rescue can be a gamble unless you get hips xrayed etc before taking the dog home. As they may be sound as a dog being walked, running around the yard etc but put the extra pressure of training, jumping and sharp turns etc and they may not be sound enough.

Never feel guilty for choosing a well bred dog from a good breeder.

Edited by OSoSwift

As someone who has owned a house full of rescue dogs for over 12 years and been rescuing myself for 8 years, most of whom were truly wonderful dogs, I still wouldn't recommend that you go straight to the pound as you have children and a list of specific requirements.

Go to a rescue who has their dogs in foster care (and not for 5 minutes) and assess them thoroughly with other animals and children. I would recommend that you do not get a dog that is dog aggressive as this often causes issues for people - even if you only want 1 dog.

I have been rescuing Italian Greyhounds for 3.5 years now (as well as other dogs) and from a fostering point of view, it is wonderful to know that they all have the same gentle and loving temperament and are not normally a problem with other dogs. There may be an odd exception that I'm yet to come across. I like that predictability of temperament - that's very important to me.

In your situation I would definitely consider going to a breeder, depending on what I wanted to do with the dog, because it is preferable to have all the healthchecks and know the temperament under certain circumstances. Sometimes breeders have dogs returned that are just as deserving of a good home!

Thanks guys. I had always planned on getting a second dog from a breeder so that we could do breed club activities. I think that several people have tried to influence me away from this path and basically given me the guilts for not wanting to 'save' a dog. I think the issue is if I end up with a dog that compromises what I am looking for, I might spend the next 10+ years regretting it.