If You Are Not With Your Dogs

Staffyluv

Sway's vet waiting room thread got me thinking.

If I am on my own and someone walks past with a friendly dog that tries to say hello - I often ask if I can say hi and pat it..

It is all dogs. OK probably more oldies (they just melt my heart)..

I was at the vets a few weeks ago to pick up worming stuff and didn't have Zig with me. There were 2 really old little mutts in there. The look on their little faces when I walked in the door and the fact that they both stood up as soon as the door opened, I just had to ask to say hi and could I have a pat..

I did and they were lovely..

Do you say hi to random dogs?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. With the exception of a few breeds I love and a few dogs I love and know (all well-trained, mostly sports dogs) I have absolutely no inclination to go up and pat random dogs. Firstly, I just don't want to but also most owners aren't really good at reading body language and say it is okay to pat their dog when their dog isn't really happy about it. I see this more often than not. Dogs badoy language can be very, very subtle - a sniff on the ground, a slight lick of the lips can be their way of saying "please give me space" but most people assume that the dog is fine/wants to kiss them etc.

One thing that Lucy has taught me is to respect dogs' space. They have the "right" (wrong word but you know what I mean) to go for a walk, go to the vets etc without being flooded with pats.

*puts on flame suit in dog forum. Finds big hole in flame suit. Prepares for roasting!*

ETA: for those that ask, do you stand back a few meters without approaching at all when you ask? I'd be cross if someone asked to pat my dogs as they moved towards me, already in my space when I got to respond (answer if I had Lucy would be a very firm but polite "no", with me physically blocking your path if I needed to :)).

ETA ETA: I often get compliments on my dogs' behaviour when out and about. I don't mind that!

Edited by megan_

wherever possible, I always try to acknowledge other dogs and their owners; not only do I sometimes feel a kindred spirit with the owner (we're in on the secret of how fab dogs are), I also want to acknowledge the fact that another person cares enough about their dog to walk it/take it to the vet etc...acts of love towards dogs by owners and others is something I want to encourage.

I have been O/S a fair bit lately and missing my dogs dreadfully. I often ask if I can pat a dog and/or take a photo - even with a language barrier it's always a conversation starter....even if the only words I know are "super hund!!!" and "bier" :laugh: Last trip, my blog was filled with photos of beautiful dogs and I made a few new friends through them too. The highlights were a Dutch Partridge Hound in Vienna, a stunning young Leonberger in Salzburg and a Dalmatian (and his owners) in Paris.

Here's a little friend I made yesterday in Los Angeles waiting for his flight...

5cb3d36a3da153124218a932c5162485.jpg

If a dog comes up to me, being all wiggly and friendly and cute, I'll usually say hi. If it's a type of dog that doesn't interest me I'll usually always at least say hi to it and smile, but if it's a type of dog I like I will usually have a play or pat it.

I don't normally go up to dogs and say hi though, but sometimes I did before I got my pugs and I was feeling a little empty handed without a leash :laugh:

I like it when I'm out with my dogs and people come up to talk to me about them, or to talk to them. I do prefer they ask before touching them, but I don't say anything if they don't ask (however, I also normally don't give the dogs the command to not jump up and dirty someones clothes if they didn't ask! If they aren't polite, they can have non-polite puppies in return :laugh: ).

I don't know if it's a pug thing, or happens a lot with people within their own breeds, but I often get people saying "I have a pug at home" or "I used to own a pug" or "I had pugs back when I lived in my home country" etc and I like it

I'll ask if I can say hello if the dog seems interested in saying hello to me - but either way, seeing a dog, especially a happy smiley dog, ALWAYS makes me smile - OH just rolls his eyes (but I see him smile too).

I don't always want to touch them, depends where I am out at, I find people generally don't keep their dogs as clean and nice smelling as I like to keep mine.

Depends. I'll often smile as I'm looking in the general direction of the dog (not at the dog). That will often prompt the owner to smile back - and then if both the owner and the dog look encouraging, I might ask if I can say hello. Needless to say this is all done from a space respecting distance. :D

My two Border Collies enjoy talking to people who don't have dogs with them. In fact my girl is a little embarrassing - she mugs people with her eyes, and hypnotises them into responding to her. :laugh: . She'll sit and bat her eyelashes at them, and then lift a paw - all at a respectful distance. (Obviously, I don't let her do this unless I get an acknowledgment from the person that they might be receptive to her.)

We had a lovely walk round the wharf in Hobart yesterday - tourists everywhere - cruise ship in - and we had some really pleasant greeting sessions and chats with some very nice people - all of whom were dog savvy and polite. Several of the tourists, having done the smiling thing, then said something along the lines of - we're missing our dogs - could we say hello please. :) I was thinking I should see if we could get a job as official meeters and greeters for dog-deprived tourists :rofl: .

No. With the exception of a few breeds I love and a few dogs I love and know (all well-trained, mostly sports dogs) I have absolutely no inclination to go up and pat random dogs. Firstly, I just don't want to but also most owners aren't really good at reading body language and say it is okay to pat their dog when their dog isn't really happy about it. I see this more often than not. Dogs badoy language can be very, very subtle - a sniff on the ground, a slight lick of the lips can be their way of saying "please give me space" but most people assume that the dog is fine/wants to kiss them etc.

One thing that Lucy has taught me is to respect dogs' space. They have the "right" (wrong word but you know what I mean) to go for a walk, go to the vets etc without being flooded with pats.

*puts on flame suit in dog forum. Finds big hole in flame suit. Prepares for roasting!*

No flame suit needed - I see exactly what you mean by dog body language.. It can be so subtle.. I have been watching heaps of you tube stuff because I take Zig to leash free parks and although I am far from really good at reading it, it has saved our bacon a couple of times.

We went up a few months ago with just a black dog and an older stafford (who Zig has played with before a few times).

I said to the owner of the stafford, that we would go in the other side if he wanted to come over but I didn't like the reaction of the other dog - just as I said it the black dog attacked the stafford. The owner of the black dog bailed out of the park and left him to break up the fight with both dogs.

I threw Zig into the other area and went to help him by grabbing the black dog while he got his poor old boy and put him in with Zig..

I couldn't believe someone would walk away from their own dog like that.

It was subtle but you could see the black dog was not happy about having another dog around.

Zig and I left that day, we didn't stay to play.

Our trainer is all about body language as well.. teaching us to read the different things they do at different times. It has made a huge difference to the way I train with Zig..

wherever possible, I always try to acknowledge other dogs and their owners; not only do I sometimes feel a kindred spirit with the owner (we're in on the secret of how fab dogs are), I also want to acknowledge the fact that another person cares enough about their dog to walk it/take it to the vet etc...acts of love towards dogs by owners and others is something I want to encourage.

I feel a little like this, Pollywaffle. Depends on the person and the dog. There are some people I avoid like the plague, just know to when you see them :D

There is a couple I see from time to time walking a little dog who is having to go like the clappers on a lead stretched to the limit as he drags behind. :cry::cry: and they plough ahead not even checking on him. I am waiting for the chance to tell them their little dog is struggling and they need to slow down for him.

TSD - in one of the groups of tourists we talked to yesterday was a lady who asked did I mind if she took photos of the dogs, as her sister back in the US (obviously another crazy dog lady :laugh: ) loved to see photos of dogs in different countries.

I don't know if it's a pug thing, or happens a lot with people within their own breeds, but I often get people saying "I have a pug at home" or "I used to own a pug" or "I had pugs back when I lived in my home country" etc and I like it

Not just a pug thing, I get it heaps with my sibes. Usually the wallet opens and out come all the photos too!