Goodbye Inka

Inka3095

It is with great sadness I wish my beautiful 14 year old kelpie x on her way to the rainbow bridge. She was put to sleep yesterday, the 06/01/13 at 13:00. She was 14.

Inka was an oopsie puppy bred to a kelpie who wasn't contained well enough during her season to a border collie who lived across the road in Cairns. My Mum, sister and I had wanted a dog for the longest time but my Dad was 'not a dog person' and had always said no. Finally he relented and the three of us girls went to view this litter. 5 little kelpie x babies were tumbling around but this one was trying to climb up a very steep set of stairs! I picked her up and she grumbled loudly at me interrupting her brave escape attempt. It was love at first sight. We ended up choosing two pups that day because my Mum and I didn't want our Inka to be lonely one day in her life. My sister chose her favourite and we left with two pups who have given us 14 long years of joy, laughter and love.

Inka grew up as an 'outside only' dog because my Dad, whilst allowing us to have a dog, wasn't going to have 'animals crawling around his feet.' This lasted until we moved to Melbourne in 2000. He went outside on our first cold Melbourne evening and saw our two girls huddled together (they were used to Cairns weather!). He draped towels over them and came inside. Half an hour later he went back out, collected them, put the towels at the end of their bed and told them 'just for one night until you get used to the weather.' They were now inside dogs.

We walked them 365 days a year, sometimes 2-3 times a day because they had energy to burn. They NEVER learned not to pull on the lead no matter what we tried. They NEVER had any decent recall and they certainly never learned not to bark at passers by (they did improve at "QUIET DOWN!" over the years though). They were, despite their unruly behaviour, the most fun to have around ever!

I moved out of home a number of years ago and Inka became my Mum's heart dog. She was her faithful shadow who was either watching or walking next to her no matter what she did.

Inka ruptured both her cruciates chasing the next door neighbours' escaped rabbit one day and had expensive surgery to repair them. Trying to contain that dog and keep her quiet was the most challenging thing we've ever done! It was impossible! Keesha, her sister, was not a good influence either!

Over the years she's had multiple more vet visits but nothing has slowed her up until she went into renal failure late last year. She soldiered on as best she could, putting up with a dodgy back, collapsing back legs, poor hearing, poor eyesight and allergies, but eventually she just couldn't fight any more.

On Friday night of last week my Mum called my sister and I to her house in a panic saying Inka wasn't drinking. We tore around there and cajoled this poor dog into eating a few things and having a drink. She made it through Saturday with my mum squeezing drops of water down her throat with a syringe because she was too ill to drink herself. On Sunday morning she was vomiting everything we gave her and couldn't even stand up. It was time to give her her wings. It was the hardest decision we've ever made but she was telling us enough was enough.

The vet was fantastic and made a horrible experience bearable. We all said goodbye, she was given some sedation and the rest was so peaceful. We are going to scatter her ashes behind her favourite bush in the back yard where she would sit for hours and survey her land.

Inka, you gave us the best 14 years of our lives. You loved us as much as we loved you and no dog is ever going to compare to you. Keesha keeps pacing around from room to room wondering where you're hiding, my Dad hasn't stopped crying since yesterday and my Mum and sister are a total wreck. My sister hasn't taken a sick day in 5 years but today she got to her car, stopped, turned around and came back inside because she couldn't face the day. I'm not much better but am trying to be functional for my poor Mum.

I love you Inka, take care of yourself until we meet again my black girl, I miss your wise eyes so much. Be at peace my girl :rainbowbridge:

post-8076-0-26330500-1357556079_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Thanks for keeping an eye on this forum and commenting. I find it difficult to read about people's pets who have passed away but venture in here sometimes and always end up a wreck if I read too many. It's such a comfort to know there's so much compassion in the world

Thank you