Bitten By A Snake... Waiting For The Vets To Call :(

miss2

Other half called and said our boy has been by a snake.

Whilst he didn't see spud get bitten he saw the snake, saw spud have a go at it and heard him yelp.

We have rushed him to the vet. The vet can not see any signs of a bite but they said they can be invisible to the naked eye.

The vet said if we don't treat him and he has been bitten then he will most likely die. I asked about Side affects of the anti venom and what could happen if he has not been bitten, he said there's a chance he will have a reaction and die....

Hardest decision of our lives. Have opted for treatment, hope we have done the right thing... Words can not describe how much we love this dog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I'm a little concerned, that they didn't do any tests first to check... In saying that I'm not by any means a vet but I did think it was protocol.

It was a black, bloody thing is still wedged in the garage. I'm waiting on the snake catcher to arrive

That's why I'm a little concerned, that they didn't do any tests first to check... In saying that I'm not by any means a vet but I did think it was protocol.

It was a black, bloody thing is still wedged in the garage. I'm waiting on the snake catcher to arrive

no its not protocol as far as Im aware. If the dog has been envenomated he could be dead before the test results come back. The best thing you could have done is what you did ie get the little fellow straight onto AV. All the best with Spud.

I do not know how big Spud is & whether weight makes a difference, but when our GSD x was bitten by a snake vet waited for positive signs of envenomation before administering antivenene. Dog began to spot saliva & pupils did not constrict until about 2 hours post snake bite. Dog was admitted to clinic about 15 - 20 minutes after being bitten & was hooked up to fluids immediately ..... just in case.

Make sure you get ABs when Spud is discharged due to any infection arising from snakebite. The emergency vet did not do this & our boy was quite lame for a couple of days before I could get into our regular vet - who dispenses ABs as a matter of course following any snake or lizard bite.