I Shouldn't Feed Turkey To My Dogs

sheena

I was telling someone today that I feed my dogs turkey necks daily & they promptly told me that I shouldn't feed anything turkey to my dogs. I did read a while ago that turkey skin was listed along with all the other baddies, like chocolate & grapes etc, but the article didn't say why. They don't often get skin unless I can't buy the necks & they get wings for a few days. Anyone else heard of this. :confused:

Can't say I have and my guys get turkey necks once or twice a week most weeks. Like you, I occasionally give wings as well although I am less keen on the wings as even raw the long bones seem to splinter a bit so I really watch carefully if they get them.

The issue with turkey skin is when people give their dog the fatty cooked skin off the thanksgiving turkey. Some dogs can't cope with the high level of cooked fats and it can trigger pancreatitis. VERY different from giving raw turkey necks which for a start generally don't have skin, are raw (and the raw skin is different from cooked), and are generally low fat (raw turkey meat is actually considered fairly low fat)

Edited by espinay2

Yeah...I agree...they must be referring to cooked turkey. When I googled it, plenty of sites came up but they were all American & they eat a lot of cooked turkey over there. Most of the sites said skin & bones cause they can bring on a sudden attack of pancreitis. I am not about to stop giving my dogs raw turkey...they love it. If I give them raw chicken, they will turn their noses up at it, if I try to give it to them two days in a row.

I would be more worried about my bloke getting bloat from all the water he swallows when swimming in the pool :( I have to wait 1/2 hour after his swim, for him to have a good chuck, before he gets his turkey neck.

RSA...those last ones you bought would have been the part of the wing that joins the body...Looks like a small turkey drumstick.

My 2 have been having turkey wings with skin on occasionally for months. No problems though I do cut off the connecting skin between the 2 bones & along the feather edge. I haven't noticed any probs with the wing bones even with my 5.4kg JS. The couple of times I given him a small turkey leg he's left the bone end which seems like a lamb shank bone.

I have heard many times never to feed chicken necks because of a choking hazard. Are turkey necks ok because they are larger?

I feed turkey mince quite a bit.

I think if we all followed every "don't feed [insert food here]piece of advice floating around, our dogs would be living on air :laugh:

Any advice that doesn't give "why" as part of the information I pretty much ignore.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I feed turkey mince quite a bit.

I think if we all followed every "don't feed [insert food here]piece of advice floating around, our dogs would be living on air :laugh:

Any advice that doesn't give "why" as part of the information I pretty much ignore.

Agree :thumbsup:

Luvsdogs..it would be pretty hard for a BC or JS to choke on a turkey neck. I cut my large ones in half with a butchers cleaver & give half each. The smaller necks are about twice the size of a chicken neck & even my vacuum girl chews hers up.

My dogs diet is mostly based on raw turkey.. he's been eating the same thing for 3 years and appears quite fine.. lol.

I think as mentioned earlier, people google weird things like "what foods are bad for dogs" and when turkey skin comes up, as in.. fatty, cooked roast turkey skin.. they immedietely appply all of the information to turkey as a whole.. raw turkey is fine and turkey necks are great :)