Doggy Smell In Your House

dogsforjane

Goodmorning DOLers! It has already been 1month since Yoness, my little fur baby has entered into my life and I have to admit, ever since then, I have noticed a significant change in the smell inside my homeconfused.gif The puppy is confined to my room at the moment and other members of my family have been saying my room significantly smells more "like dog".

This is just after living with only ONE little puppy so I can't even imagine what it would be like for all you other DOLers who have multiple fur kidseek1.gif!

So the question is, what do you all do to keep your house smelling nice and fragrant and not "like dog". Or do you just live with this unique doggy odour? laugh.gif

I'll go first! - I have been buying HEAPS and HEAPS of candles from IKEA and "covering up" the smell more than eliminating it...

Edited by dogsforjane

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My house smells at the best of times as we have multiple pets embarrass.gif Of course i do try to keep it clean and freshen it up often. we dont really smell it but im sure others who come here do eeek! Luckily we don't have visitors often.

I know what you mean re puppy smells dogsforjane, altho im really enjoying that smell. Her wee's aren't that strong smelling ( well i dont think so lol)

I make sure i keep the windows open during the day if the weather is nice.. I also use bleach on our tiles floors ( well diluted with hot water) Bleach is one of the very few chemicals I actually dont react too!

I dont like to use too many candles and air freshners as i have fibro and chemical smells can affect me badly :( At night we bring our lovebirds inside and our bunny and i don't want them being affected by too many chemicals.

If we have visitors coming around (which i do appreciate if they let us know first) i will put some of that pet foam spray- No Vac (http://www.novac.com.au/novac/pet.php) on the sofas and open windows and mops floors. Our kitty litter tray is inside (kept in the bathroom) and i use that kitty litter crystals stuff (with bi carb powder on the base of the tray) which absorbs smells heaps.

I use very small amounts of vanilla spray too when im cleaning around the house :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I vacuum and clean regularly, that tends to keep the doggy smell down. Including putting lounge cushions in the sun, washing dog bedding regularly, brushing dogs regularly, mopping regularly, windows are open a lot to air the house. We use vinegar to clean puppy accidents, not cleaning products.

I also love candles, even pre-dogs, so have lots of Glasshouse candles around the house because they smell awesome without lighting them - you just take the lid off and they fill the room.

My mum sometimes comments that my place smells doggy, but she also comments that my dogs smell doggy, so I don't take her too seriously.

Edited by minimax

Yes, we have two dogs who are inside when we're home and sometimes I walk into a room and it's a bit doggy.

I use oil burners with essential oils, peppermint is a nice fresh one. That and cleaning/vacuuming, plus I keep windows open as much as possible. My Mum tells me whenever she visits if it's doggy or not :laugh: I can't always tell as I live in the place. More than often though it's not.

I do accept though, that with two medium to large dogs my house won't smell like a display home :laugh: I'm fine with that.

Edited by Aussie3

We have wooden floors which helps with the dog smell; these are vacuumed weekly.

The front door is opened as much as possible allowing the screen door to do its job and we have candles going pretty much all the time. Also the dog beds are washed regularly as well as the pooches.

Both my sister and mother who are fussy, comment that the house does not smell like dog at all.

Edited by poochmad

I also love candles, even pre-dogs, so have lots of Glasshouse candles around the house because they smell awesome without lighting them - you just take the lid off and they fill the room.

Oh minimax, don't even get me started on Glasshouse candles. Absolute favourite candle of all times being the TAHAA - Vanilla caramel. YUM! but since they are expensive I only have them lit on special occasions.

I pulled up all the carpets (in the rooms that didn't have polished floors) and then painted the floor, not much doggie smell now. I also put their beds out in the sun in the morning, if I don't they get pretty whiffy.

Edited by Boronia

Oh minimax, don't even get me started on Glasshouse candles. Absolute favourite candle of all times being the TAHAA - Vanilla caramel. YUM! but since they are expensive I only have them lit on special occasions.

Vanilla caramel is my favourite! Whenever I walk into Peter Alexander stores I nearly die from yumminess and commented to my OH that I'd love if our house smelled like that. She went in and asked what it was, and bought me one :D Now our house smells like that! I've never lit it though, just taking the lid off is enough to overwhelm the room with scent.

I get them from http://www.ambientliving.com.au/store/glasshouse-fragrances/glasshouse-candles.html because they are a bit cheaper than anywhere else. They re-stock pretty often.

The coconut & lime is my second fave, for a fresh "pretend I'm on a tropical island" sort of scent.

I have to say that I don't seem to have doggy smell and my dogs are pretty much smell free! Maybe I'm lucky! I even have people comment that they are suprised that my dogs don't smell!!! When old Emma was sick there was a smell in the house, but then after she died we figured out it was obviously the smell of her being unwell (she must have been emitting some sort of odour).

I do make sure the windows are open when they can be though just to get air through the house.

I'm hoping when I move that it might be to a place with more tiles or boards which will make cleaning easier and if there is smell will minimise it!

Guest crickets

leather lounges, no carpet (timber & tiles), minimum of mats & cushions which I sacrifice for new ones if there is a doggy odour, bath & groom dogs once a week, house is left aired most of the time with triple lock crimsafe screen doors & window locks even when I am at work.

And dare I say some types of dogs do have slightly more of a doggy smell.

Edited by crickets

I vaccuum generally every second day, I wipe down the window sills occassionally with eucalyptis disinfectant, bedding gets washed in eucalytas disinfectant and when I remember spray the carpets with a diluted version before vaccuming. That kills the smelly bacteria well and freshens the house. I dont think my house particulalry smell but I definately notice the difference if I go to a friends house that doesnt have pets inside. mainly the lack of dog hair!!!

I bath my dog with nice smelling shampoo, wash her bedding regularly, only have floorboards, keep doors & windows open, & often burn a scented candle (I dont care that they are expensive- am happy to pay $30-40 every 6 months for a nice smelling house).

I'm told my house doesn't smell. :)

Though it did last week after the bloody dog rolled in fish scales down at the park!! :mad

All good now though, bathed & smelling lovely.

Edited by dee lee

We have large dogs in the house but there's no noticeable smell, especially not coming directly from the dogs. I suppose in some breeds, smells would be unavoidable but in my experience, greyhounds really shouldn't have any smell.

If there are smells, treating the source would work a lot better than just covering it up- have the dog's skin checked by a vet and wash using something like Malaseb to bring down levels of bacteria on the skin. Wash beds very thoroughly (with some F10 through the final rinse) and then dry them outside. Leave them on the line until they are completely dry as moisture in the polyfill can encourage mould or fungal growth (which will smell).

If smell persists, consider a change in diet- I noticed the dog smell pretty much disappeared when we stopped feeding kibble entirely. Have teeth checked and cleaned to eliminate bad breath as a smell source.

Large amounts of natural oils oxidising in the coat would make some breeds (pugs, labs, etc) smell stronger than others but I'm fairly sure Plush Puppy make a powder for dry-shampooing so that might be worth looking into.

I use febreeze on the furniture once a week. I vacuum once a week. We have carpet and lino and area mats on the wood floors and currently 4 dogs in the house (one is a puppy that is still learning to go outside when required) and yet, without airsprays, candles etc we have not had anyone mention our home smells 'doggy'. I also would know after being away all weekend at shows or something like that, house closed up tight and when you first come in...that's when you usually can smell it....but we simply don't have that issue.

I also bath dogs every other week or so (when showing) and wipe them down as they love to roll around in the lawndust outside.

We have a very small house but it's never been an issue....we occasionally have the big dogs inside as well but other than more fur floating, the smell just isn't there.

To keep the smell ot of the carpet and lounge's i bicarb them once a fortnight / month. i shake it all over the carpet and lounge give it a quick brush over with a broom, take the dogs for a day out so it can sit then when we get home i put the dogs straight in to the back yard and go inside and vacume. Works for me as we only have carpet in the lounge room.

I think a lot depends on the breed of dog. We have two border collies & they don't smell. My daughter has two SWF's & her house smells even though the dogs are clean & eat the same diet as mine. We have non-dog people come here & we ask them to honestly tell us if they can smell dog in the house & they say definately not. We only allow the dogs into the house when they are dry, cause I have found that if they lie on something while they are wet, then it will start to smell from bacteria. Their beds get washed every couple of weeks because of this. Any accidents I clean up with white vinegar (doesn't happen often). They are only allowed on the one lounge which is covered with blankets which get washed every couple of weeks & I have a few of those scented oil things with the sticks in the bottle. :)