W A Police Shoot Man Found Attacking A Dog

j

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/16106210/police-shoot-man-after-dog-attack/

Police have shot a man in the leg overnight after he killed a pet dog in Perth’s southern suburbs.

About 11.30pm, officers arrived at a house in Excalibur Circle, Camillo to find a man allegedly attacking the dog with a knife.

The offender, in his 20s, allegedly turned on police in “an aggressive manner” when they tried to intervene.

He was shot in the left leg and taken to Royal Perth Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition, under police guard.

"Negotiations with the man failed and during the incident officers used both taser and firearm force options," a police spokesman said this morning.

It is understood the incident was the second domestic dispute reported at the house in as many days.

Detective Superintendent Allan Adams said police were called to the house by a family member.

Officers tried to negotiate with the man.

Several taser shots were fired, only some of which were successfull, and officers used their weapons.

Supt Adams would not say how many shots were fired.

One shot hit the man in the leg.

Neighbour Bill Cleasby, 78, was outside when he saw two suspicious men at his friend’s house minutes before the shooting.

He said a woman lived at the house with her teenage son and partner.

“There was a car parked in the garage and a bloke was walking around flashing his torch everywhere,” he said. “I could hear (her) raising her voice.

“Then another bloke came out from the back door and jumped into the car.”

Mr Cleasby said the woman was a good friend, who had looked after his house for a month when he had open-heart surgery.

“She’s a very nice woman and a personal friend of ours,” he said. “Her dog had a bit of staffy in her; she was a real little tubby one.

“She was a lovely, affectionate dog and just sort of rolled around everywhere. It seems a bit harsh to hurt a dog like that.”

Forensic officers are at the scene this morning and Internal Affairs Unit detectives are investigating.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Police at the Excalibur Circle house this morning. Picture: Simon Santi/The West Australian

Report said he was shot in the leg. One can only hope it was the knee. Very painful. There are some sick and probably drug affected ratbags out there with no respect or decency.

Edited by Jed

Poor doggy :(

She sounds so cute, "a lovely, affectionate dog and just sort of rolled around everywhere".

Definitely not based on facts, but I thought I'd heard that police are only supposed to shoot to kill, not to aim for legs etc. Anyone know if that's a real thing?

I have also heard that police are trained to shoot to kill.

She sounds so cute, "a lovely, affectionate dog and just sort of rolled around everywhere".

Definitely not based on facts, but I thought I'd heard that police are only supposed to shoot to kill, not to aim for legs etc. Anyone know if that's a real thing?

Police are trained to aim at the largest mass, (ie, centre of the body) giving the greatest chance of actually hitting a target. To hit just an arm or leg is incredibly skilled shooting and in the circumstances that most shootings occur in, the chances of making the hit are very slim. They're not trained to "shoot to kill" but if they are on target, the results are likely to be death as there are so many organs that can be hit.

I thought I read that there were a number of shots fired, so maybe in this case they were unlucky (sarcasm) and got his leg instead of his chest. There are reports of possible mental illness. If that's true, he could have been having an episode which would explain how someone could do this to a pet.

Edited by poochmad

Police are trained to aim at the largest mass, (ie, centre of the body) giving the greatest chance of actually hitting a target. To hit just an arm or leg is incredibly skilled shooting and in the circumstances that most shootings occur in, the chances of making the hit are very slim. They're not trained to "shoot to kill" but if they are on target, the results are likely to be death as there are so many organs that can be hit.

This is what I have believed going on only what I have read in the media about police shootings.

Very sad and horrible for the dog, without question, but also very sad for the people involved. There are no longer institutions for the people who have mental problems. They are just left to their own devices and families are simply not able nor in a position to be able to control, manage or deal.

Definitely not a real thing.

I am very sad for this dog and the family.

However I am shocked at the lack of compassion from some people, it is quite likely the man that did this is mentally very sick. I don't think people should be killed if they have mental issues, they should be incarcerated for their crimes and given treatment.