Water Intoxication

Snout Girl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad your dog is recovering - I believe this can happen with people too ??

Yes, isn't this what happens to people when taking ecstasy or some similar drug at raves? They flood their body with too much water thinking they're thirsty or some thing?

This also happened to a lady doing the Kokoda Trail.

So how did they treat Sally for this? Do they try and replace the depleted elements or just monitor? Vomiting would only remove excess fluid from the stomach so I'm assuming it is like the whole body gets over saturated and not just the stomach?

Awfully scary for you!

Thanks for sharing your story & I have my fingers crossed for your lovely dog. I can't believe that my vet said that there was no problem with Cricket consuming large amounts of pool or dam water. I told him that he drinks so much that he rattles & pees for hours after :mad

Thanks for sharing your story & I have my fingers crossed for your lovely dog. I can't believe that my vet said that there was no problem with Cricket consuming large amounts of pool or dam water. I told him that he drinks so much that he rattles & pees for hours after :mad

we would always monitor pool/chlorine and salt water, but this was freshwater so we didnt think it would cause a problem.

I appreciate your well wishes- she is doing ok, very quiet and sleepy but no vomitting or diarrhea.

This also happened to a lady doing the Kokoda Trail.

So how did they treat Sally for this? Do they try and replace the depleted elements or just monitor? Vomiting would only remove excess fluid from the stomach so I'm assuming it is like the whole body gets over saturated and not just the stomach?

Awfully scary for you!

you are correct re vomitting and the whole body being saturated.

they treated her with hartman fluids, potassium chloride, constant electrolyte blood panel testing and close monitoring.

So glad your dog is recovering - I believe this can happen with people too ??

Yes, dilutional hyponatremia can happen to marathon runners who don't rehydrate properly, and has even killed people hiking the Kokoda Trail.

It is a combination of too much water and not enough electrolytes. (Eg people who have perspired excessively and only replaced their lost fluids with pure water. Sadly bottled water often exacerbates the problem.)

The treatment, not surprisingly, is diuretics to expel the excess water, and electrolytes to replace those lost.

May I ask what breed is your dog? Most dogs love the water, but I perhaps “water” breeds are less prone to swallowing water when swimming?

Although perhaps it was the freshness of the water that compelled your dog to swallow? Our dog only get to swim in salt water so perhaps they don’t swallow?

So glad to hear it was promptly diagnosed, and that she is on the mend.

she is a border collie- she always swallows water when she swims for the ball, its the motion of opening her mouth to grab at the bobbing ball which sometimes takes a few goes- she does the same at the beach, and has thrown up a few times from too much salt water so we then stop her when that happens.

It's interesting as I know a few people who are a bit mad on exercise but they think sports drinks are the work of the devil so they only drink water and then complain when they feel sick. They don't seem to believe me when I tell them that sweating depletes the body of electrolytes so they need to be replaced somehow.

ETA it might be something to consider with dogs that are known to drink a lot to add some electrolytes to their water?

Edited by WoofnHoof

Snout Girl I'm so sorry I hope Sally gets better very soon.grouphug.gif

I was quite ill over this summer with heat stroke, when I was at the hospital I was told I was right on the edge of having water poisoning as well. I thought I had been doing the right things, as because I had to work outside in the heat, I was completely covered up, sunscreen, hat, and drinking LOTS of water, which was almost my downfall. After that I was told to always have electrolyte drinks (like hydrolyte) when working outside in that heat instead of water.

Best wishes for Sally and thank goodness your vet finally got to the cause and knew how to treat.

I was quite ill over this summer with heat stroke, when I was at the hospital I was told I was right on the edge of having water poisoning as well. I thought I had been doing the right things, as because I had to work outside in the heat, I was completely covered up, sunscreen, hat, and drinking LOTS of water, which was almost my downfall. After that I was told to always have electrolyte drinks (like hydrolyte) when working outside in that heat instead of water.

I perspire very very heavily and when I was doing bootcamp last year, asked the instructor as to whether or not I should take any electrolytic drinks. I am not in favour of so called replacement drinks. He suggested just some pure sea salt, a pinch in a litre of water.

I've found the link, but it is PDF document. Anyone know how to load, please?

Edited by Danny's Darling