Quirky Dog Habits.

Ruin Maniac

This morning my samoyed boy was happily having a bit of a scratch next to me as I browsed the forum. He went from scratching himself, to sidling over to me and scratching me. You know, by gnawing gently with his teeth. :laugh:

He's previously gone from cleaning himself (he licks his chest fluff like a cat), to cleaning my nearest limb. I don't know if he's trying to be helpful or thinks I am an extension of him. It's pretty entertaining though!

He also likes to squeeze into the smallest possible spaces, to the point where I'm sometimes needed to drag him out of them because he can't wiggle backwards (beside the fridge, into the DVD cabinet, under beds), and enjoys bodily tackling our unfortunate cactus-like plants around the back, which are thankfully not spiny, and snapping them in half.

What do yours get up to?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it when dogs "flea" me like that :)

Oh yes! My childhood dog used to 'flea' me. She was such a sweet heart. We had so many backyard adventures together. I used to pretend I was Penny from Inspector Gadget and she was Brain. I'd carry a book around and pretend I was typing in it. And of course, she'd just follow me around with all the enthusiasm in the world. Best playmate ever.

But anyway, I've gone OT. In our quieter moments she'd flea me. :laugh: She was a GSP.

Abby's quirk is that there is a particular circuit around my yard that both girls like to tear around (Grace chases Abby) and although neither are huge hole diggers, there is this one hole where the grass is long dead. Abby stops in the middle of tearing around the yard flat out and frantically digs for between 2 and 10 seconds. Grace stops chasing and watches intently. Abby then starts up running again flat out and Grace follows. Rinse and repeat.

I've long ago decided to leave that as 'Abby's hole' - she digs no others and I don't even bother trying to stop her. Because it's such a routine for them and kind of out of the way of the running circuit (they never run flat strap through that area because Abby stops and digs or they go a different way) it a minimal safety risk, but I do fill it back in after every play session. I wonder what Abby thinks? :laugh:

Ricki has this funny thig she does when excited , hard to describe , she backs up to your and rubs her hips against you , I call her rubber dub dog when she does it

there is a swf I pass when walking that runs round a tree in the yard when it barks at us , sort runs jumps on fence then off round the tree and continues this the whole time we pass, freind and i giggle at it every time we pass , so cute

My Muttley has an obsession with mine and everybody else's hair, he will jump up on the table or couch just so he can try to eat it.

Rascal greets us ( if we've been out) with a toy in his mouth, his lips curled into a smile and making weird noises all at once.

The other dogs are all normal lol.

Oh lordy, I think of starting a thread like this just about everyday. So many dogs, so many quirks. I think I'll just read others for the time being, otherwise I wouldn't know where to stop.

I had to laugh at the dogs who "flea" their human. I don't have that. I think the funniest "quirky" at the moment is Myrtie.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/198210-miss-myrtie-has-joined-the-moochers-as-a-foster-baby/page__p__4600077__fromsearch__1#entry4600077

Rascal greets us ( if we've been out) with a toy in his mouth, his lips curled into a smile and making weird noises all at once.

When I come home Max says a quick hi and then runs off and gets a toy or bone to show me. She doesn't want to play, or give it to me, just wants to show me!

Oh - I don't know about that DD - how about Tamar's cute quirks? Dinner time and potty time spring to mind.

Dinner time is getting a bit better now that there isn't a breakfast time - LOL. Just a snack so the are very ready for their dinner. Working so far, couple of hiccups, but generally seems to have worked well.

As for going to the potty standing on her front legs, she has started doing that with #2 as well when we are out walking. Because she prefers to walk behind me (feet are VERY scary things you know), I quite often don't know she is going until there is a bit of a pull back on her lead :o .

All my dogs have their extremely idiosyncratic walking behaviours and positions ..... poor things need a saint for a mother and I sure ain't that. :D I liken their positions to the positions on a clock:

Danny and Bunter walk at 3o'clock but jockying for position to be closest to me. They are walked on short leads, because if they are longer, they get tangled because they have to be close to me. If Bunter's legs, touch the lead, he stops dead and won't walk on until I have removed the offending lead.

Myrtie doesn't know the clock exists and strides out ahead leading the way. Should have called her Scout - LOL.

Tamar walks at 7o'clock hour hand

Jeune walks a 7o'clock minute hand. Jeune always has to be as far out as the lead will allow and beyond any of the other dogs as they move around sniffing and peeing. I have tried all different lengths of lead with Jeune and if I try to bring her closer and make her walk faster, I end up dragging her. Nothing and no amount of cajoling or treats have ever made her change her walking habit. The longest I went once, in terms of shorter lead and walking at a natural pace, was 20 minutes, virtually dragging her the whole way. :eek::eek:

As the walk is for their enjoyment (they don't need the exercise, get enough at home), I have given in - LOL.

Edited by Danny's Darling

As soon as Cougar sees me get my mobile & my bag she knows I'm going out, so she goes & hides under my bed. It's like she is scared that some bad person will break in while I'm out, so she thinks hiding under my bed will keep her safe. Mind you, when I get home she is always happily snoozing on the couch. :laugh:

I was just writing about shar pei quirks on Facebook! Tempeh is the Queen of Quirks in this house. Her new one relates to dinner time. She eats out the back (on a comfy and dry mat). As I carry her bowl out she runs down to the lounge and jumps up and off once then runs out to the dinner spot. While she waits for me to catch up she slaps at the back door with her paw to shut it. As it has one of the gas closer things on it that has been heavily abused it shuts by itself with a slight push and usually shuts just as I am exiting (leaving the other dogs inside). I always make her sit for her dinner but being a stubborn pei sometimes she feels it is not necessary and I get verbal abuse for denying her her dinner before she does a half arsed sit for me and I figure that is the best I'm going to get. Once she has finished she starts bashing on the back door to let me know!

As it is currently 3 minutes till her dinnertime she is currently behind my chair crying and every now and then gives me a light bum nip or chews on the chair handle for emphasis of her concern. Now 2 minutes!

"Did someone say Quirky?" she wonders as she watches Danny madly hump his bed :o:o .

This is becoming an after dinner ritual. Jeune gets very excited too, jumping around him, examining his penis, jumping back with some little squeals. Oh god, I should have a video camera.

Can only larf. :laugh: :laugh:

Kenz has her sucking on her toy monkey thing - it takes her to her happy place!!! And Hamish has to "dig" before he goes to sleep, he'll do it on tiles, carpet, dirt, wherever he is going to lie to sleep he always has to dig first!!

Kenz :eek::eek:

Danny is a digger but not on a hard surface. As they sleep on mybed, I generally toss around a few throws so they have something to arrange to their liking and I can keep my bedclothes the way I like them :laugh: :laugh:

In my last house where for a garden I had lots of pot plants, he'd come in with dirt on his nose and I'd know he'd been trying to bury something in a pot.

I have a quirky couple very similar to Pretty miss em only it's my Stella who is a toy sucker/carrier with "pete" the pelican. She is off with the fairies when she is sucking away on Pete & when she isn't she carries him everywhere she goes. If she gets tired of carrying him when we are out & about she looks at me & stops, her cue that It.s my turn to carry him for a while. Stella also digs up a beautiful bed whether she is about to lay down on the wooden floor (scratch) tiles, outside or in her own bed. Circles round & round & digs like mad for a frantic minute then lays down. Every time.

My boy's only weird habit is before I put his lead on or get ready to groom him , he walks round in a circle about 2 metres in diameter every single time. Why? Dont know but it's every time without fail.. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I have a quirky couple very similar to Pretty miss em only it's my Stella who is a toy sucker/carrier with "pete" the pelican. She is off with the fairies when she is sucking away on Pete & when she isn't she carries him everywhere she goes. If she gets tired of carrying him when we are out & about she looks at me & stops, her cue that It.s my turn to carry him for a while. Stella also digs up a beautiful bed whether she is about to lay down on the wooden floor (scratch) tiles, outside or in her own bed. Circles round & round & digs like mad for a frantic minute then lays down. Every time.

My boy's only weird habit is before I put his lead on or get ready to groom him , he walks round in a circle about 2 metres in diameter every single time. Why? Dont know but it's every time without fail.. :)

You and I have very similar dogs!!! Every time I call Kenz to put on her collar and lead she always takes the long route to get to me (generally a big loop around the coffe table!!!)!

Riley, who's a bit odd at the best of times, has the weirdest habit of my guys.

His height means he is pretty much nose height with toilet seats and whenever he's in my room he seems to feel the need to walk to the toilet in the ensuite at regular intervals and "tap" the toilet seat - as in he sticks his little pointy snout under the lip of the toilet seat and flips it up then drops it just enough for it to go "tap tap tap". He only does it three or four times on each occasion then wanders off and continues about his business :shrug:

Billie jumps on anyone who sneezes.

Myrtie used to leave the room with her tail down looking extremely offended if anyone, ahem, passed wind. :laugh: :laugh:

She gets quite upset if I have a coughing fit and if I'm on the couch or in bed, she jumps down and leaves the room.