How Did Your Dog Get It's Name?

My dog Oberon is named after the king of the fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream. He's called that because his kennel name is Jarkk Knight to Dream. We just call him Obi though, which means that everyone goes, 'ah yes, Obi-wan Kenobi'.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two sort of just ended up with their names. But I had decided that I liked having a theme of Scottish names!

Old Emma came with get name, so Emma it was!

Kenzie - had a bundle of criteria but just wanted something a little bit different. And Kenzie is the feminine version of MacKenzie.

Hamish - well as soon as I had decided this time I was getting a boy I knew I wanted to call him Hamish, so Hamish was named many many months before he was even in existence!! I did then look in to other male Scottish names but I just loved Hamish and it suited him when he finally came along!

Zen my chi was named by my nieces, I was going to name him gonzo short for speedy Gonzales in keeping with the Mexican theme for Chihuahuas (my first was called Dessy short for Descaro), but I allowed myself to be overruled as no one really liked Gonzo.

Sonny my husky I was going through a phase where I was calling everyone Sonny Jim, and it just seemed to suit him so that's what he's called.

Lulu the SV came with her name from the rescue, it suits her well enough :)

Mishka came down from Qld atb 4 months old named Mishka and I liked it. The Bulgarian meaning of mouse suits hr.

Moss - I had always liked Moss as a BC name and the breeder let me register him as Ansavon Moss.

Cole is the first part of his registered name and what his breeder called him. After heaps of converstaions with the breeder about which pup from 2 available litters I would get (I had pick of them)the name had stuck.

Joey and Renae were already named when we got them as they were older, and we don't like to change names once they have already been lovingly chosen ( which had been done by their breeder)

There's a whole story to Miah's name, its too long to type out again , so if anyone is interested it can be read here in her Blog Post :)

We were allowed some input into her full registered name as well apart from her prefix of course .smile.gif

My bf and I used to play a lot of WoW so we wanted to use a character from the game, but there are surprisingly few female characters and we didn't like/couldn't shorten most of the female names (Sylvanas, Jaina, Ysandre, Alextrasa etc) so we ended up choosing "Sindragosa" but had to shorten it because that's a BIG name for a little 8 week old puppy!

So she became "Sindra" which quickly turned into "Cinder" and that's her name now

Tully Josephine - Tully after Tully in the Paullina Simons Book and Josephine just because it was pretty like she was. She gets called Tully Jo, or TJ

Tully was one of the names that was on high on my list for Miah... because of that book! If I had been able to have a daughter i would have wanted to have named her Tully as well. That book has left such a lasting impact on me :)

Our family discussed many names, and finally wrote down all the names and put them in a hat.

We agreed that whatever name by wife pulled out first would be it, notmatter what.

And that is how she came to be called "Akubra." :rofl:

Oo I liked reading through this thread, I enjoy hearing the stories behind names :)

MiniMax, I have to admit, everytime I read a thread and Boston is mentioned I automatically think "oh, a boston terrier" :laugh:

Cherry - came from the shelter with that name, and it suited her

Rusty - he was originally called Charlie, but that's the cats name, so it had to change. Originally mum dad and I had agreed on Anzac, but when we picked him up, it just didn't suit. But what really suited him was Bear, but dad wouldn't have a bar of it so I had a sook and came out with a heap of random names and the only one we could all agree on was Rusty. To this day mum and I still wish we had called him Bear :laugh:

Biscuit - I wanted to call him Anzac, thinking maybe it would suit him, but when I went to school and told everyone what I would be calling my new puppy, one friend said "oh, Anzac Biscuit" and I thought, awww Biscuit would be the cutest name! And it suits him I think, I mean, he's obssessed with food anyway :D

Tully Josephine - Tully after Tully in the Paullina Simons Book and Josephine just because it was pretty like she was. She gets called Tully Jo, or TJ

Tully was one of the names that was on high on my list for Miah... because of that book! If I had been able to have a daughter i would have wanted to have named her Tully as well. That book has left such a lasting impact on me :)

Same Jules I just loved it! And its funny my girl is so much like the Tully in the book! :) I have met other dogs called Tully and they have all been boys!

I don't have a theme although I do usually name them after characters I like.

Lestat - he's blond and I love Anne Rice

Merrique - Anne Rice

Armand (RIP) - Anne Rice

Mistral (RIP) - the storm fae from Laurell K Hamiltons book series. I wanted to call him Storm but that was his fathers name so I had to come up with something else.

Alchemy - very last minuet and picked by Mr Bjelkier, it just suited her

Dante - I always wanted a Samoyed called Dante after playing the xbox game Devil May Cry.

Daenerys Targaryen - Game of Thrones (I named all the puppies in that litter after GOT characters, WSibes Skeeter use to be Rhaegar)

Beowulf 'Viserys' Targaryen - Danys brother. I wanted him to keep his GOT themed name but Viserys rhymes with Daenerys and I loath rhyming names so we had to come up with something else. His pedigree name is Nordic King and Beowulf fit nicely with that. Mostly we just call him Wolf but when he's naughty he gets the whole thing :laugh:

My next boy (depending on which one I get :p) is named either after a poet or a character from Narnia

We have Rosie the kelpie who was named by the kids - and Earl the bloodhound. His breeder had a Twilight theme but allowed us to choose his name, we wanted a bluesy name so his full name is Centitout My Name is Earl - after the TV show - figured they were pretty Southern smile.gif

Neo - named after the character in The Matrix, he's "the chosen one" :laugh: (well, he likes to think he is)

Nova - named because OH wanted our next dog to be called Nova, but it suits her, because having her around is a bit like having a cataclysmic eruption around the place!

Molly - again, because OH wanted the name :)

Feonix - total bastardisation of the spelling of Phoenix to make it fit into an "F" litter, and because I didn't like the way it looked as Foenix :laugh:

Radar - desperate attempt to find a name after we changed our mind last minute on which male pup to keep. We had intended to keep a different boy, and his pedigree name was Fargo, which would have been his pet name as well. Radar's pedigree name is Fletcher, which OH didn't like, so we had to find something else, and Radar was the only one we could agree on!

Enya - my beloved heart dog, always with me in spirit, was in our "E" litter and was named after the musician :) Our last litter, which are Enya grandchildren (of which Nova is one), are all named after Enya songs, to keep the connection with my special girl :)

Enya - my beloved heart dog, always with me in spirit, was in our "E" litter and was named after the musician :) Our last litter, which are Enya grandchildren (of which Nova is one), are all named after Enya songs, to keep the connection with my special girl :)

Thats so beautiful and special heart.gif Enya has always been a fav name of mine and was also on our puppy name list. We had one of Enya's songs as our main wedding ceremony song :)