Inexcusable Negligence

Xyz

If the cat was post-op shouldn't the owner have been given prescribed pain relief to take home anyway?? This is very confusing.

I thought that vet had retired. :o She's been there forever.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Saye said cats were thought to be twice as sensitive to painkillers as dogs, and the operation of the after-hours' Animal Emergency Centre in Canberra meant there was no excuse to tell a pet owner to give their cat Nurofen, even late at night.

Sadly, while it continues to cost $190 to walk in the door of the Animal Emergency Centre, and the first thing the Centre wants is your credit card details, some owners will seek cheaper alternatives.

On occasion, they will get precisely the result they haven't paid for. :(

This.

There was a huge kerfuffle not so long ago when the vet in question was voted "Best Vet" by Mix 106's listeners, their FB page blew up immediately with posts by people in the know. However, I'm sure one of the reasons the vote came out the way it did is that there are vet practices in Canberra that take practice building and assumptions about Canberra pricing as far as they think they can take it when it comes to charging.

Fortunately there are also excellent vets who are reasonably priced, but not "cheap". This is the middle road that people need to find. Good vet care isn't "cheap" but it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive either. However, finding those vets usually means connections, because the best are are not necessarily the biggest and the shiniest.

I'm sure the man was upset and not thinking clearly, but I do think the failure lies mostly with him. Quadrupling the dose of paracetamol would kill an infant, but it is sold over the counter and parents are trusted to accurately measure and dose their children.

That is exactly what I was thinking. 4 times the dose of anything can cause major problems with people or animals. There is a big difference between .05 & 2. They don't even sound alike so mishearing that would be weird.

I think the vet is entirely at fault. How is Joe Bloggs at home supposed to measure out 0.5ml? That is a minute dose. Nurofen is for people, not cats. If the cat was in pain she should have told him to go to the emergency vet or come back to her clinic and seen it. Or better yet it should have been given appropriate pain relief before discharge.

I think the vet is entirely at fault. How is Joe Bloggs at home supposed to measure out 0.5ml? That is a minute dose. Nurofen is for people, not cats. If the cat was in pain she should have told him to go to the emergency vet or come back to her clinic and seen it. Or better yet it should have been given appropriate pain relief before discharge.

Joe Bloggs uses the little syringe thingy which comes with the baby nurofen ..and measures out a dose ....and yes, it is a minute dose , for a very small animal ...

If he had a syringe capable of measuring out 2ml, then that same syringe should have had a marker for .5ml. Pretty simple stuff really.

The AVA need to be involved. Yet again.

There is good reason the other local vets are not remotely in support here. This is not a one off example of incompetence or negligence here.

That is a big call on a public forum ....

If the cat was post-op shouldn't the owner have been given prescribed pain relief to take home anyway?? This is very confusing.

There have been more than a few matters that have resulted in sanctions being placed with regard to prescription drugs and surgeries.

Those of you who blame the vet, is the vet who suggests benedryl for an after-hours bee sting reaction also negligent? My mom had an old arthritic dog and couldn't afford the recommended treatments. The vet told her aspirin was ok, but might cause stomach ulcers. The dog didn't live long enough for ulcers to become a problem, and the aspirin provided relief. Was that negligent? How about the vet that suggests pumpkin for diarrhea? Or dilute vinegar for yeast infections of the ear?

I am grateful that some vets are willing to put themselves out on a limb by deviating from the industry-endorsed pharmacopia. I wasn't there, and don't know what the vet said about how to measure the dosage (the simplest and most common way would be something like 'half a tablet of baby aspirin', cause lots of people aren't clever with dosage calculations) and whether anything was said about avoiding overdose.

I think we should be slow to condemn until we have all the facts.

Those of you who blame the vet, is the vet who suggests benedryl for an after-hours bee sting reaction also negligent? My mom had an old arthritic dog and couldn't afford the recommended treatments. The vet told her aspirin was ok, but might cause stomach ulcers. The dog didn't live long enough for ulcers to become a problem, and the aspirin provided relief. Was that negligent? How about the vet that suggests pumpkin for diarrhea? Or dilute vinegar for yeast infections of the ear?

I am grateful that some vets are willing to put themselves out on a limb by deviating from the industry-endorsed pharmacopia. I wasn't there, and don't know what the vet said about how to measure the dosage (the simplest and most common way would be something like 'half a tablet of baby aspirin', cause lots of people aren't clever with dosage calculations) and whether anything was said about avoiding overdose.

I'd be paying particular attention to comments made by posters from the ACT and the surrounding region. The vet is well known locally to many in the dog community.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Some substances are ok to give to an animal. Some are not. I would have put nurofen in the 'not' category but I am obviously not a vet. If you do a basic google you get a 'no' too. Cats are tricky with pain medication.

Without an autopsy though I think it is hard to say if it was the drug 100% or the attack.

I do think the vet was wrong to suggest nurofen.

Joe Bloggs uses the little syringe thingy which comes with the baby nurofen ..and measures out a dose ....and yes, it is a minute dose , for a very small animal ...

how many people would have baby nurofen on hand? I only have tablets which arn't scored so very hard to break accurately. No way the vet should have advised giving nurofen.

The clinic was not open "read the post" it was after hours he trusted Jan, he rang her, to give him the advice he was asking for, she is not responsible for him measuring the dose, also Jan quite possibly told him to go to the after hours vets, and could have pressed the point about the dosage, that was not in the article, we all know the papers only report what they want to, unless you know Jan and live in Canberra and are a client of hers how dare you judge her.

Her top priority is the animal and she has on thousands of occasions given vet work for nothing just so she doesn't turn a sick animal away because the owners don't have the money.

The owner is responsible for his animal, not Jan, he should have made sure he was giving the right dose, he should have taken the animal to the after hours vet, he should have gone to the vet the next morning, how do you know that Jan didn't advise him to come in then, bloody hell people it is the same old thing "people need to take responsibility themselves and not blame others when it goes to shit"

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

]

The clinic was not open "read the post" it was after hours he trusted Jan, he rang her, to give him the advice he was asking for, she is not responsible for him measuring the dose, also Jan quite possibly told him to go to the after hours vets, and could have pressed the point about the dosage, that was not in the article, we all know the papers only report what they want to, unless you know Jan and live in Canberra and are a client of hers how dare you judge her.

Her top priority is the animal and she has on thousands of occasions given vet work for nothing just so she doesn't turn a sick animal away because the owners don't have the money.

The owner is responsible for his animal, not Jan, the cat wasn't even in her clinic, he should have made sure he was giving the right dose, he should have taken the animal to the after hours vet, he should have gone to the vet the next morning, how do you know that Jan didn't advise him to come in then, bloody hell people it is the same old thing "people need to take responsibility themselves and not blame others when it goes to shit"

Maree

CPR

we don't know and neither do you, nor do we really know what dosage was really said. For all anyone knows the cat owner was told to give the cat some nurofen and the 200mg tablet is the one most people would have.

and the 200mg tablet is the one most people would have.

it is ..however

she advised Mark Sowden to give his six-year-old cat Saffy – which had undergone surgery earlier in the day – a 0.5 millilitre "half dose" of the painkiller after a late-night call for help....Mr Sowden gave Saffy a two-millilitre dose,

seems like he used a liquid ....

Edited by persephone

It's a bit of a gappy story. Not enough information.

It doesn't explain who actually did the surgery and why a post-op mauled cat wasn't already on painkillers.

No mention of antibiotics either, infection or sepsis can kill a cat the same way - IMHO a necropsy should have been done before calling the press.

RIP kitty. :rainbowbridge:

how many people would have baby nurofen on hand? I only have tablets which arn't scored so very hard to break accurately. No way the vet should have advised giving nurofen.

Someone who has a baby?

Someone who has a baby?

possibly, but not everyone has a baby :D

Someone who has a baby?

possibly, but not everyone has a baby :D

Lol no, but this guy apparently had baby neurofen :p

There is good reason the other local vets are not remotely in support here. This is not a one off example of incompetence or negligence here.

Why don't you tell us then what other negligence and incompetence cases Jan has against her, has she been charged, has she been fined, has she gone to jail for these incidences, if you can't openly tell us all then I suggest you not say anymore about it.

Maree

CPR

Jan is only 67 years old, are vets like pilots who have a use by date :) and she has been a vet for decades and a good one at that hence why she is still practicing and people still go to her.

Maree

CPR