Band Breeds In Australia

bullaroo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the current laws in victoria allow for specific breeds to be killed based upon appearance, you saying we dont need new laws comes across as agreeing with the ones currently in place?

You said there should be tougher laws in place for dog ownership. Someone disagreed.

What has that got to do with BSL?

We don't need tougher laws, we need the current ones enforced. But this has been discussed to death.

we need new laws that targets irresponsible owners, not specific breeds. Enforcing current laws doesn't address irresponsible ownership at all, it just shifts the blame on to specific breeds, so there needs to be new laws. LOL

as i originally posted, judge the deed not the breed.

Any dog can be dangerous.

Im sure it has been discussed to death my apologies for only joining the forum today.

There are laws that target irresponsible owners. Sadly these are not enforced. Enforcement means money. Money means taxes.

The problem is far more complex than that anyway. Perhaps search through a few threads and you'll see the history of discussion on this subject on this forum. It's great that you want to make your voice heard by the way. :thumbsup:

You're focussing on BSL law. There are plenty of laws relating to responsible dog ownership that have nothing to do with breed and those that break them rarely get any kind of punishment. What makes you think that these people will obey new ones?

the current laws in victoria allow for specific breeds to be killed based upon appearance, you saying we dont need new laws comes across as agreeing with the ones currently in place?

You said there should be tougher laws in place for dog ownership. Someone disagreed.

What has that got to do with BSL?

We don't need tougher laws, we need the current ones enforced. But this has been discussed to death.

we need new laws that targets irresponsible owners, not specific breeds. Enforcing current laws doesn't address irresponsible ownership at all, it just shifts the blame on to specific breeds, so there needs to be new laws. LOL

as i originally posted, judge the deed not the breed.

Any dog can be dangerous.

Im sure it has been discussed to death my apologies for only joining the forum today.

There are plenty of laws that target irresposible ownership - leash laws, registration and microchipping, laws about how many dogs can be kept, or walked, about children not being in charge of dogs on the street......I want them enforced. Not additional ones.

ok i get that those current laws arent enforced and if they stopped spending so much tax payers money trying to enforce BSL then maybe they could start spending that money enforcing those laws and more so improving them.

i was only specifically talking about BSL because the OP did post about "band" (haha) breeds.

i was only specifically talking about BSL because the OP did post about "band" (haha) breeds.

But you aren't talking about the banned breeds?

(I'm still trying to figure out why the OP used hashtags, this isn't twitter :laugh: )

Edited by minimax

How do the customs people know if they are looking at a prohibited breed, or one that just looks the same as a prohibited breed? Do customs have breed assessors and a Vic style checklist?

Seems pretty weak legislation, I mean really someones pet Mastiff Bloodhound X can really be a Fila in disguise and get through easily enough from what is on the paperwork and microchip details.

Lol at band breeds, I liked the bloodhound gang.

Haha, probably the same way NPWS knows what species reptiles are or how customs people know what species the orchid flasks that people bring in are, they don't... Hence why i own a NPWS siezed animal that was placed as a murray darkling python but definately isn't and why I have more than once been offered to rename orchid seedlings in flasks to bring in species that are restricted(not something i have done, it's just been offered) Customs read the labels on the jars, compared them to their list and passed them through, they could have been anything!

How do the customs people know if they are looking at a prohibited breed, or one that just looks the same as a prohibited breed? Do customs have breed assessors and a Vic style checklist?

Seems pretty weak legislation, I mean really someones pet Mastiff Bloodhound X can really be a Fila in disguise and get through easily enough from what is on the paperwork and microchip details.

The strength of the legislation is the government veterinarian and international customs protocol, including declaration obligations by government agencies at country of origin and connecting ports. As a supposition, Id guess those who have canine contacts and networks in iffy corners of the world, have bigger or even more exciting fish to fry than asking precarious favours and going through the hoo ha of importing an illegal item <a dog> disguised as something else. I guess it is possible, but it's out of bounds for 99 %; enough to be a non issue. In the terrorism era, counterfeiting of cargo contents (includes cargo identity) is a big non negotiable and is not going to happen for a dog.

Edited by lilli

(I would love to breed Dogo Arg.) -_-

Why? You have experience in large, powerful guarding breeds that are sharp as a knifes edge? You have experience in protection and dominant dogs? You have the power to choke off or slam down your own dog when it decides to have a go at you?

No. Few people in Australia do. These romantic notions of nawwww I wanna breed the banned breeds BS sometimes makes me glad we DON'T have these dogs in the country. We're incapable of controlling the watered down stuff we have let alone strong breeds like this.

BSL is crap yes, but 1) idiots keep breeding pound fodder and 2) people keep buying these dogs and then crying when they get seized. Yes it's the dog that suffers but we can't get the whole dog management thing through our thick heads in this country at all. We are miles behind a lot of western countries in training and management I think work on education before beating the same BSL is bad drum.

Why? You have experience in large, powerful guarding breeds that are sharp as a knifes edge? You have experience in protection and dominant dogs? You have the power to choke off or slam down your own dog when it decides to have a go at you?

No. Few people in Australia do. These romantic notions of nawwww I wanna breed the banned breeds BS sometimes makes me glad we DON'T have these dogs in the country. We're incapable of controlling the watered down stuff we have let alone strong breeds like this.

BSL is crap yes, but 1) idiots keep breeding pound fodder and 2) people keep buying these dogs and then crying when they get seized. Yes it's the dog that suffers but we can't get the whole dog management thing through our thick heads in this country at all. We are miles behind a lot of western countries in training and management I think work on education before beating the same BSL is bad drum.

+1

..:clap:.....good post Nekhbet.

+1, excellent post :thumbsup:

+1, excellent post :thumbsup:

+ 1 totally agree

It shits me to be honest. Yes people do bad things but dogs are still dogs, some breeds more primitive, forceful and advance then others, that is a fact. Too many airy fairys in the world that think romantic notions and rainbows will make everyone get along.

Management, experience and training will keep dogs in line and improve our chances of retaining and reowning these powerful breeds. I get enough tough cases who think they can own powerful breeds, they go down several pegs very quickly. All I have to do is hand them a toy and let my young Mal bitch off lead, she's fast as a viper and extremely dominant - it's enough to make a few people hand the toy back before even playing with her, others play tug once and throw in the towel. So far I only have ONE person willing to spend time with her every week to learn how to handle working dogs but he appreciates the skill it takes to own dogs like this. Conversely those that think yanking a big dog around will make it comply get a corrective collar around their wrist and I treat them like the dog.

If we want BSL overturned we need to bring back realistic dog training, bring back equipment, bring back acceptance of sportdog clubs so these breeds have somewhere to go and someone to help control them and raise them right. Bring back common bloody sense in the community and the government will have to follow to overturn. You can't expect them to end BSL when we're out there still making the same bloody mistakes over and over again, and the attitude in this country is that of 'screw the law I'll do what I want' instead of tackling the ISSUES head on properly to ensure dog welfare is actually achieved. Why do you think they keep tightening the noose?