Impounded Bull Breed Put Down Before Breed Assessment In Nsw

BlackJaq

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In NSW unchipped dogs have 7 days before becoming the property of the pound - chipped, they get 14 days. Once they become pound property, the pound may dispose of them as they see fit - either rehome or euthanaise basically...

Also, due to space restrictions in many pounds, a dog can't be held indefinitely until the owner gets around to sorting out issues such as breed identification... if that is in doubt.

I sincerely hope that the owners of this particular dog make sure that any future dog they own is properly chipped and registered - this has probably been a very hard lesson to learn, but if they don't learn from it, then it could all too easily happen again...

T.

After 18 days unclaimed in the pound their other dog was adopted today by a member of the public. Makes me so sick to think that these people can make such a fuss about the pound but fail to mention that they left their gorgeous female staffy unclaimed in the pound. :mad That same "terrible" pound who held on to a dog way past its requirement because it was of a good nature and not a restricted breed.

This dog wasn't a restricted dog either if it was unmicrochipped. The pound had no obligation to kill this dog and did not give the dog the options it deserved. A good deed for one dog does not negate their failure to this dog because it had a red nose.

Whatever the owner behaviours were, the essential point is that a dog was put down for a reason based on its appearance, not on its behaviour. If such pre-scientific age laws did not exist, the dog might've made it into an adoption program.

I always wonder if, in jurisdictions that have such a law, criminal traits are detected from bumps in the skull & witches are identified from shape of moles.

After all that, why didn't they immediately get their other dog out of the pound? They left it there another 8 days and let it be adopted by someone else?

Something just isn't adding up here at all... run to the media about Dog 1, and completely ignore the fate of the other one still in the SAME pound? WTF??

Am I missing something here?

T.

Apparently Pebbles was staying at their house but didn't belong to them.

So someone's else's dog escaped, ended up in the pound and has been adopted? Wow, do the owners know, or Did they trust their dog with their friends while they were away or something ?

Whatever the owner behaviours were, the essential point is that a dog was put down for a reason based on its appearance, not on its behaviour. If such pre-scientific age laws did not exist, the dog might've made it into an adoption program.

I always wonder if, in jurisdictions that have such a law, criminal traits are detected from bumps in the skull & witches are identified from shape of moles.

was put down because of it's stupid owners. They are the ones at fault here.

I'll confess to growing a little short on sympathy for people who buy unpapered Amstaffs (if indeed that's what the dog was) in BSL states and end up in this situation. It keeps happening.

It's not rocket science to buy a dog that won't be subject to BSL is it? And these are not new laws.

EPIC fail on the part of the owners for failing to do anything to keep their dog safe.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Whatever the owner behaviours were, the essential point is that a dog was put down for a reason based on its appearance, not on its behaviour.

The dog was put down because the owner failed to:

a) microchip

b) register the dog with Council

c) claim it after 7 days

With the information provided by another DOL member on here I hope the paper runs an article on how these "poor hard done by owners" left a second dog in the pound to possibly the same fate. With BSL in place why do people keep buying unpapered bull breeds, not register them and then cry "victim" when their unregistered, unpapered dogs are picked up at large? They should get no sympathy, only their poor dogs and should be banned from owning a dog for x amount of time. The amount of AST, SBT and AmBull dog and their crosses available on FB is so sad, there was 32 puppies go up on one day from different "breeders" - surly if someone's dog is seized under BSL they can sue the breeder?

I hope the paper run some kind of article on how to avoid this entire scenario. I feel sick for all the dogs who end up in this exact situation due to their owner's ignorance or lack of care or both.

And yes, the owners suck. Trisven's information made me feel even more ill.

Edited by BlackJaq

The owners are to blame for their dog ending up there but the pound are to blame for failing to seek other alternatives to death.

Given their complete lack of understanding of the law, I wonder how many other dogs are quickly disposed of once they become Council's property.

We shouldn't forget that just because a pound operated within the system, it doesn't mean that system is just. And just because the owners failed to chip or register their dog, the dog shouldn't have paid with its life.

Whatever the owner behaviours were, the essential point is that a dog was put down for a reason based on its appearance, not on its behaviour.

a) microchip

c) claim it after 7 days

I agree with mita. If the above were the reasons the dog got put down, why wasn't the other dog put down at the same time?

a) microchip

c) claim it after 7 days

I agree with mita. If the above were the reasons the dog got put down, why wasn't the other dog put down at the same time?

Maybe the other dog was chipped or registered, or they were trying to locate the owners? Someone has said the other dog wasn't theirs, it was apparently at their house but belongs to someone else.

Edited by minimax