Trying To Choose A Breed Would Love Some Help Thanks

Chloe08

Well it put pointers of various types and the Harrier in the top ten for me which I wouldn't be at all keen on but it did put basset hound at 11 so that's not bad. Didn't mention kelpie at all in my list of 100 and whatever but maybe they aren't in there, aussies shephereds, border collies and cattledogs featured in my top 25.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing loads of research for a family dog, something that I could do agility & obedience with we decided on a Brittany. Prior to starting my research I'd never heard of them. Ours is a real character with loads of energy, pretty quick to learn. He does have the attention span of a flea, but his Mum and brother are much more attentive. (I go the bossy independent one of the litter LOL)

Greyhounds came up at 17th in my go at the pet selector. Of the first 16 the Rhodesian Ridgeback came in 3rd and the Saluki at 11th. None of the others have any chance at all of coming to live with me and those 2 would be a very distant possiblity.

Found that funny in that I ticked "I want my dog to come bird hunting with me." yet Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen and German Pinscher are rated 3 and 4, maybe they think I just want company and not an actual dog that can hunt birds :laugh:. Brittanys came in 5 and the only other dog in my top 5 I would consider was a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. The top 10 is very very random and hardly any gun dogs made top 10 but American Eskimo Dogs did :confused:

We have had poodles for years and a standard would love that amount if exercise, they would also get a lot of enjoyment playing with your kids.

The only thing to be aware of some of them have extreemly high prey drives so if you do look at getting one make sure you discuss that with the breeder, it can become a problem living with a smaller dog.

This. I have one and he's gorgeous. He likes running with me (although he is a pain if we have to jog past houses with dogs in the front yard).

But yes his prey drive is very strong and my older (smaller) poodle x has had to learn to manage him. He can be a bit of a bully with her at times, although he never hurts her. I don't let him off-lead with small dogs at the park for the same reason - he can be quite overwhelming.

Also the grooming requirements for a standard poodle are a huge jump from that required for a Cavalier. Massive difference.

Having said that, he's so beautiful to live with around the house, and such a lovely all-round dog, I still love the breed and will have a hard time shifting to anything else.

But I do also love Rough Collies and if I didn't have dog hair allergies I would covet one of those for sure! Far more placid in my experience - more of a quiet dignity whereas my standard poodle is dignified in a more 'look at me, I'm so incredibly self-important' way. The whole family adores him - including my husband who is not really a dog person. Some children are scared of him because he's big and black, even though he is completely gooey and soft with kids. I like the fact that when I'm running with him, some stalkers may take a second look at him too and that's gotta be a good thing in my opinion.

Have you also considered an Australian Shepherd? I reckon they'd be absolutely ideal for the lifestyle you describe!

Edited by Zug Zug

staffordshire bull terrier came up at 56 for me apparently they are very wary of strangers and excellent guard dogs hmmm. But it did have GSP as my number 1 and i love them i would have one in a seccond if i had more space and time.

Edited by staffydave

Thanks Zug Zug. I loved the description of your poodle, it made me laugh. I am thinking a poodle might be too intense for me at the moment. The rough collie seems a little more laid back. I will look into the Aussie Shepard too. Thanks for the advice.

I've spent lots of time with two particular Keeshonds and I found them to be great dogs, if you don't mind the coat.

One was my friend's second Keeshond and she said she would never be without one. The other was a male that had spent 4 or 5 years in a home with children but was on a chain in the yard for much of his life due to being too excitable.

After a short time in a dog savvy home he turned into an indoor dog who'd learned some manners. :)

They would be totally up for the jogging, obviously not in the height of summer (unless you like running at dawn). I might be wrong but I would judge them to be a friendly, smart and quite tolerant breed. Perhaps noisier than a smooth Collie though..

Eleven years ago I never thought I would own a dog and family wanted a Lab. I didn't want a big dog, but went to look. Kass was amazing and had 2 more since. For me Labs have my heart.

My brother has had Dalmations for about 19 years and loves them. They are wonderful dogs.

I had a Border Collie for 2 years while her owner was away. Oh my goodness the energy level Gemma had exhausted me.I soon learned I was wrong thinking she would rest after 2 hours playing ball. An hour after being home she would want to go again.

My son and his partner have Lhasas and they are cute.

Edited by 3labs

Funny how it works that way hey 3labs. I always thought though that it might be like other peoples children, they always seem much more obnoxious than your own even if your own do the same thing LOL.

I have a working dog but always felt I couldn't handle a lab but maybe the reality is that when we raise our dogs through proper training, etc to suit ourselves, they are more likely to fall in with the lifestyle we set for them and therefore our expectations of them and theirs of their owner are more likely to gel.

Keeshonds are gorgeous! I've only met two and they were lovely but quite stubborn, it was at obedience school and they were very capable of learning what they were meant to do but just as capable of deciding they didn't feel like doing right then :D

I think a Collie Rough or Smooth would be easier to manage in your situation than an Aussie Shepherd, Aussie's can be pretty full on energy wise and are generally pretty destructive when young, out of curiosity I think, they seem to want to have a good feel, taste and destroy of everything. Mine loooooves kids but is way too rough with them, Collies seem less inclined to jump all over everyone :laugh:

I think a collie would be good for your situation. I've only had one collie but I had him for 16 yrs. He was very gentle and was great with cats so a small dog should be fine.

I wouldn't have a collie with very rough children, Kurie was great with kids but if they became too much for him he would go off and hide somewhere. But he didn't grow up with children When I had boisterous children I had another breed.

I did find the grooming quite a lot of work.