Widget: From Big Belly To Babies!

Kirislin

Yep, you guys were all right with your intuition. Yesterday was indeed the day, and it was a long hard one, especially for the wonderful brave and stoic little Widget.

I had a sense that it was going to be Saturday and I couldn't sleep, so I was up at 3am doing my normal Saturday chores, and sure enough at around 8.30am I got a shocked slightly bewildered sounding Widge dad saying, I was just having cuddles with her and her waters broke, no warning.

I got there about an hour later and she was having contractions but they didn't seem very strong. Big bulge behind that was firm to the touch so we felt sure it was a puppy but it wasn't coming out. By about 11am we were getting worried and when finally we could see a tiny tongue we realised it was out of the sack. Frantic vet on the phone trying to instruct her owner how to get the puppy out, all to no avail. So we bundled her into a doona and I started driving them to the vet when suddenly her dad said Pull over! and I'll never know how he managed it but he got that big fat plug of a puppy out. We sat there in shock and tears and wonder. Continued on to the vet and I am normally a very conservative law abiding driver but as I approached the intersection and the lights turned amber I just jammed one hand on the horn and blasted through, we couldn't wait.

While at the vet she had 2 more in quick succession, she actually had the 3 puppies within about 35 mins. A goldy sabley fawn boy (that's my description) first born (in my car) at 11.55 weighing 270gms

then a tiny exquisite black YES BLACK!! girl who popped out when I left the room for 40 seconds, weighing 210gm and then another richly coloured boy similar to the first another 10 or so minutes later weighing 210gms as well.

The vet examined Widge and sent us home believing there were more pups to come.

Finally about 2.5hrs later another beautiful black girl, this is what we'd hoped for, but heartbreakingly, she is not with us anymore.

After that Widge seemed settled, relaxed and just doting on her new brood of 3. We were sure there was at least one more puppy but absolutely no action from Widge at all so late at night another friend took them all to the vets to check and I made my way home to a pack of 5 hungry whippets.

I rang to check and she is empty! so that enormous belly for 4 puppies, you just never can be sure.

Anyway, here is the beautiful new family, coincidentally photographed on the very same doona that I photographed Widge on all those years ago when I first met her and fell in love.

9428689425_257ac0be56_z.jpg

5F6A7138dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431456460_71fd348c27_z.jpg

5F6A7137dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431448294_59716d9a0e_z.jpg

5F6A7132dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9428680721_ec1f971d9e_z.jpg

5F6A7134dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

and anxious uncle who feels sure he can offer some help and assistance

9431461370_c0e127c582_z.jpg

5F6A7156dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9428693667_b51ae396d9_z.jpg

5F6A7158dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

a tiny precious golden child

9431463322_d9b9bef8a4_z.jpg

5F6A7165dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431464802_bf36a0b472_z.jpg

5F6A7166dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431466146_0cdd09036f_z.jpg

5F6A7167dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431467524_8f4cc7771d_z.jpg

5F6A7168dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

9431468776_b66558d633_z.jpg

5F6A7169dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

safe with Mummy

9431470292_9dc4c0a42b_z.jpg

5F6A7170dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Thankyou all for your good thoughts. Widge is sore and bruised, and I would imagine very exhausted now. I'll wait until a more civilised hour before ringing for an update on her.

Oh My Dog! They ARE big babies, aren't they?

Absolutely stunning little mites though... simply gorgeous!

As always Kirislin, you've captured them beautifully... thank you so much for sharing with us...

We will need at least weekly pics of these darlings now, you do realise... they are going to be the cutest things ever when they start getting about on their own methinks.

T.

wow big bubba's !!

huge congrat's to Widget her daddy and Aunty Kirislin :thumbsup:

the photos are just gorgeous, I look forward to many more as they grow

well done to all !!!

ps didn't the vet do an ultrasound to make sure no more in there ?

you would have thought he/she could have felt the other one

wow big bubba's !!

huge congrat's to Widget her daddy and Aunty Kirislin :thumbsup:

the photos are just gorgeous, I look forward to many more as they grow

well done to all !!!

ps didn't the vet do an ultrasound to make sure no more in there ?

you would have thought he/she could have felt the other one

We all thought we could feel one more in there, I had felt the other puppies and knew the texture/firmness of how a puppy felt, but then it disappeared. We thought it must have moved into the birth canal, but no action from Widget so she went back to the vet. I headed off home then as it was late and I had over an hours drive. I haven't talked in detail to her owner so not sure how they confirmed no more puppies. I'm very tired today but have a strong urge to go back, and just sit, and look on in wonder at her little brood. Not sure if I will, but I'll be sure to take my camera if I do. :D

Edited by Kirislin

I forgot to mention, the first born boy was a bit slow to start with and we were worried because of his difficult birth, but the other 2 pretty much came out running. I've never seen such vigorous active puppies, they were so tiny, but so strong. Nature is truly amazing. Big boy is OK too now, he's figured out how the milk bar works and was suckling well last I saw.

Make sure Widget's daddy keeps her calcium up - she's going to be making a lot of milk for those boombas... lots of yummy tucker at all times too, so she doesn't drop too much weight too fast.

Those are seriously some very healthy looking babies, and I'll bet they are quite mobile and vocal if the milk bar moves. I can sit and watch newborn pups for hours.

Don't forget that Widget will need lots of pats and kisses too - she did an amazing thing yesterday. Please pass on some cuddles and kisses from me...

T.

Welcome to the world little Widget pups. Sorry to hear on little one didnt make it but she did an amazing job with pups so big for her tiny little frame.

They are all gorgeous and Widget looks very proud but tired in her pics. Give her a huge pat from me.