Community Dog Event

efowler

Hi All,

I am planning a Council Community Dog Event for early next year.

I just want to get ideas of different stalls, events, demonstrations, etc that dog people would like to see at a Community Dog Event.

I have lots of ideas myself but would love to hear what you may expect.

Edited by efowler

Jumping castles are great, so the kids are entertained while the parents wander around the stalls. Face painting too.

Quality dog stuff, not crap stuff that you can buy in Woolies etc.

Competitions - waggiest tail, owner - dog look alike etc etc.

Love watching agility at these things too.

And whoever speaks through the microphone, someone who doesn't YELL. Sometimes you can't hear a thing other than some annoying person and the speakers are too loud.

And understanding dog laws & rules & a how children should interact with dogs.

Have the fun stuff but have the educational stuff there too .

Carrying poo bags.picking up,off leash park rules & do this in a friendly but as a dog owner these are things you must now .

I would be more inclined to avoid the jumpy castles & make stalls family friendly so all members can learn ,good ownership can start very early on .

Obedience demos are always great but there often adults only doing the stuff ask clubs if they now of kids locally who are trialling so that kids are involved & see people there own age doing things .

Things I go looking for at a dog event....

1. Things I can't get anywhere else/new/unusual.

2. Good quality toys for a reasonable price.

3. Good books on dog training.

4. Pet food stalls...samples are always well recieved.

5. Interesting displays of dog related activities. For general public I would go with something that demostrates obedience in a really interesting way. (dancing with dogs...which I find inexplicable, but still shows fantastic dog control). Agility etc. Something that looks like it is easy to learn and fun and might entice joe blow public. (maybe even offer a 'come and try' event for agility or similar)

6. Any animal related service that I might not have seen or heard of before. eg. pet massage.

When I go to these things, I like to see special offers...even if only for a limited time. Makes me feel like going was worthwhile rather than just 'meh, same crap, different day'.

I also like to look at new and different collars, leads and toys. Stuff you don't see in the pet shops...we all want our dogs to be a bit special.

Exactly what Dory said. I love seeing things you can't get at normal petshops. Maybe some local small businesses that do things like custom collars/ pet photographers.

Demonstrations of different dog sports go down well.

Maybe stalls by different breed clubs and rescues? Promote buying from responsible sources.

Personally I love seeing demonstrations - be it agility, obedience, flyball etc.

Homemade stall items, like knitted jumpers or handmade collars/leashes etc. I love looking through those stalls more than the big commercial stalls (but free treats and sample bags are always good from them!)

Make it a dog friendly event. I have been to a few "dog expo" type events and they have been dog free zones. Seems pointless to me. Generally i wouldnt take Jager with me, but its nice to know that he is welcome there. Obviously make it leash mandatory :)

Competions for the kiddies?? Maybe an under 10 years obedience comp where the child has to get the dogs to sit, drop etc?? (everyone wins a small prize)

Maybe like a comedy skit about the rights and wrongs of dog ownership??

I went to one once where a pro photographer was volunteering their time/ mobile studio and for a $5 donation to the local animal welfare league, you could get a professional snap of your dogs taken and a copy emailed to you. That was great.

Also a mobile dog groomer giving cheap baths, nail clipping etc is always a winner. As is demos of flyball and agility.

Holroyd council put on Petfest each year - and it's got a bit of everything going on... might be worth a call to see if they'd be happy to share some of their contacts with you.

Flyball always pulls a crowd...

I'd like to see more pure breeds and breeders represented at these things too - they seem to have lots of rescues, but very few purebreed fanciers to share the wonderfulness of owning a well bred pedigreed animal.

Do NOT get Don Burke or Dr Harry... they are usually not as great as their PR says they are - and they cost a bit more than they should too.

Steve Austin gives great talks/demonstrations and advice about dogs and training - and he's usually really good with talking to people one on one too. Steve is also great for compering dog/owner fun "competitions" - he can be very funny, but well enjoyed by all.

T.

Depending on the time of the year plenty of shade for people and dogs and available water for dogs to drink (which isn't hot).

I went to a pet expo on the Gold Coast one year, on a stinking hot day, and there was one dog wading pool with a dribble of water in it. I saw multiple long haired panting dogs trying to lie in the water to cool down. They probably shouldn't have been bought along in the first place but more than one dog wading pool being refilled would have been fantastic for them and other hot dogs.

Good luck with your event! :)

I like stands with doggie treats on and flyball/agility demos plus rescue groups - especially the Greyhounds - providing info on what they do. I do also enjoy seeing breeders and fell in love with the Dandie Dinmont breed at the last show I went to.

A few years back I went to a fantastic show in Galston and they had dog races.

My vet does Earth Dogs and is in your area, maybe they could do an info stand - great for terriers and maybe not all that well known?

Have a vet stand (or two) with vet surgeries that are local doing quick checkovers - this would be great for people who may not ever look into their dogs' mouths etc.

Personally I would like to see something at these events that educates people about the benefits of choosing a registered breeder. They might have bought their current doggy from a pet shop and that's OK but maybe they might make a different decision next time. Would need to be someone approachable and friendly who isn't going to be 'judgy' about decsions that may have made in the past but will share info in a non-judgemental way.

What about local attractions such as good walks, places to take your dog for a swim, does a vet have a speciality, where to go for training, etc.

The other thing I would think about is a stall for those thinking about getting a dog-where to buy them, what to think about before hand, etc.

One I went to had free hydro baths with dog washers/groomers washing dogs for free and handing out their cards at the end of it.

Then there was grooming demonstrations and I volunteered reggie so she got a free groom aswell! It was great! She was gorgeous and fluffy for the whole day! :D

Wow thanks everyone lots of great suggestions. I've had a late night so will take notes of everyone's tomorrow.

I'm really excited about getting the opportunity to do a dog event (I want to do cat one too later on but will be a bit different lol)

Will deffinelty have a few demonstrations and educational type stuff.

Lucky I have about 6 months to plan as so many things I want to include lol

One I went to had free hydro baths with dog washers/groomers washing dogs for free and handing out their cards at the end of it.

Then there was grooming demonstrations and I volunteered reggie so she got a free groom aswell! It was great! She was gorgeous and fluffy for the whole day! :D

I hadn't thought of a grooming demo, would be good.

Dog washing sounds great, especially if it was a warm day. Even washing for a donation that could go to animal organisation :)

Personally I would like to see something at these events that educates people about the benefits of choosing a registered breeder. They might have bought their current doggy from a pet shop and that's OK but maybe they might make a different decision next time. Would need to be someone approachable and friendly who isn't going to be 'judgy' about decsions that may have made in the past but will share info in a non-judgemental way.

I wonder if Dogs NSW or similar do stalls, ill find out. I was thinking of a purebred breed feature or 2 to show off some good purebred dogs.

Personally I would like to see something at these events that educates people about the benefits of choosing a registered breeder. T

Yes I would also like to see something to promote pure bred dogs from registered breeders too. So much pedigree dog bashing & promoting cross breeds as being healthier & superior from RSPCA to pet shops & backyard designer stupid cross breeders.

Some one needs to speak up for the pure bred, pedigree dog.

Edited by Christina