Reasons Not To Remove Dew Claws

sandgrubber

One of the blogs I follow posted a great video showing dogs using their dew claws for retrieves on ice.

I've always hated to remove dew claws. It feels like cutting off the dog's thumb -- much worse than docking a tail or ears.

Anyway . . . an interesting and well made video. See

http://vimeo.com/39124130

Ice isn't such a big issue in Oz . . . but I still see dogs use their dew claws when chewing a bone or other object.

While I'd generally agree with you on the issue, I think it does depend a lot on the individual dog. You get some dogs with nice, tight dewclaws and they're never a problem. Then you get the dogs with the dewclaws that flap in the breeze and usually end up having to come off anyway when the dog inevitably snags it and rips the tendons and muscles halfway up off its leg, causing the dog a hell of a lot of pain and distress.

I don't agree with the cutting of dewclaws by breeders though, for any reason. I don't think you can tell how firm a dewclaw is going to grow to be (from looking at the neonate puppy) and besides that, cutting a thumb off without any anesthetic is not humane by any stretch of the imagination.

Elsie still has hers, I think she must use them quite a lot in agility as whenever we do agility she always has mud caught under her dew claws, using them like rugby boots or something! She uses them for handling her RMBs too :)

One of the blogs I follow posted a great video showing dogs using their dew claws for retrieves on ice.

I've always hated to remove dew claws. It feels like cutting off the dog's thumb -- much worse than docking a tail or ears.

Anyway . . . an interesting and well made video. See

http://vimeo.com/39124130

Ice isn't such a big issue in Oz . . . but I still see dogs use their dew claws when chewing a bone or other object.

I dont need to watch the video, I agree with you. "My" breed, whippets, traditonally have their dew claws removed, but my first 2 sighthounds both had dew claws and both used them in running. I know that because the dew claws were always worn down, which told me enough. One girl did pull off or break a dew claw twice over her 12 year life, and it was painful for her at the time, but neither time she was running. It was odd, I dont know how she did it. One time she was trotting towards me happily. I saw her falter slightly and next minute there was blood. :shrug:

I know they use them just when eating bones too.

I also find it interesting that greyhound trainers dont remove racing greyhounds dew claws. If anyone was at risk of tearing them off while running wouldn't it be that breed? After my experience seeing Kiri break hers at a trot I have my doubts about exactly how they do it anyway.

I asked a greyhound trainer why they dont remove them and he said they need them, and that there's all ligamemts attached to them that run up the leg, and when the dew claw is taken off they're severed too. I'd find it easier to bear if just the actual nail and not the entire thumb was removed, but in tiny breeds that would be very difficult to do at 3 days old.

If I ever breed again, this is something I would struggle with. I know if the puppies were show prospects buyers would expect them to be taken off. I know myself, if I see a whippet with dew claws I immediately think to myself BYB.

edit, I would agree with removing those loose flippy flappy ones that some breeds have.

Edited by Kirislin

My dog is a Golden Retriever and has her dew claws. I was originally concerned about that because I was "old school" and thought they were usually removed because they could get caught etc. She has never had a problem with them. But what I loved was watching those amazing dogs so intent on retrieving that bird that they would swim through freezing water, clamber onto ice, go straight to their retrieve, turn and look so proud and happy when they successfully completed their task.

What fabulous dogs, so good to see them doing what they were bred for, thanks for putting the video up

I'd much rather them gone, then have them caught on something. Whippets do not traditionally "ice skate" so I don't see any comparison there.

ETA: It is not cutting off a "thumb" and there is no cruelty involved. I did my pups last night about 2 hours after birth. I sat in the bottom of the box and took them from the bitch one at a time. There was no blood and no screaming babies. If any one doubts that, feel free to pop over next litter and I can show people how it's done.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

ETA: It is not cutting off a "thumb" and there is no cruelty involved.

No, its ripping the whole toe joint out.

Some people think its just removing the nail but if it was the nail would grow back.

I normally take pups to the vet to have them removed but don't bother about any I keep however having a breed where they don't catch, are not a problem unless left to grow & having few pups who go mostly to people who have had or currently have one & are well up on the grooming

This year I have left them on & written on the grooming sheet & explained that there is no reason to remove a whole toe in case the owner does not check or clip the nail, a 30 second job & to please do this as it can grow into the skin & cause pain & infection.

I couldn't do an amputation & dragging them out to the vet at a few days old is a drama.

On some breeds or individual dogs that are larger & high energy they can be very loose & dangly though & I can see how they may catch on things.

It is not cutting off a "thumb" and there is no cruelty involved. I did my pups last night about 2 hours after birth. I sat in the bottom of the box and took them from the bitch one at a time. There was no blood and no screaming babies.

I have done many like this .... and I certainly don't feel I was being inhumane

A vaccination often elicits a pain reaction ... what should we do there ? We put a collar on a new puppy and it freezes in fear /confusion .... Is that humane?

Front dewclaws do have their place in active/working dogs, for sure . For indoor pets/therapy/assistance dogs though , I would prefer to see them removed .

It is not cutting off a "thumb" and there is no cruelty involved. I did my pups last night about 2 hours after birth. I sat in the bottom of the box and took them from the bitch one at a time. There was no blood and no screaming babies.

I have done many like this .... and I certainly don't feel I was being inhumane

A vaccination often elicits a pain reaction ... what should we do there ? We put a collar on a new puppy and it freezes in fear /confusion .... Is that humane?

Front dewclaws do have their place in active/working dogs, for sure . For indoor pets/therapy/assistance dogs though , I would prefer to see them removed .

The hardest part about it is waiting for them to stop feeding, so you aren't being cruel and taking them off the bitch. They are gone less than a minute and there can't be too much cruelty involved as my bitches barely raise an eyelid. They sit on my lap in full sight of their mother and are back on the boob in less than a minute.

I certainly don't "rip" a joint out.

The hardest part about it is waiting for them to stop feeding, so you aren't being cruel and taking them off the bitch. They are gone less than a minute and there can't be too much cruelty involved as my bitches barely raise an eyelid. They sit on my lap in full sight of their mother and are back on the boob in less than a minute.

I certainly don't "rip" a joint out.

Much less stress for everyone this way , I agree.

I have 2 dogs with dew claws.

13 year old Dane - never ripped them off or damaged them but does get them caught in blankets from time to time. Does not wear them down naturally and they seem to grow at amazing rates!

2 year old Lab x - no issues with them but doesn't seem to use them, I'm always having to cut them weekly.

I have seen a lot of Great Danes with very loose dew claws.

I think in whippets it's mostly cosmetic, because BYB whippets dont have them removed and if you ask most pedigree breeders they'll say it gives a cleaner line to the leg. If it was because they'd be otherwise constantly tearing them off there's as much arguement to docking a whippets tail. Quite a few break them. I have one here. I see quite a few BYB and race bred whippets at our racing club. All have their dew claws and we've so far never had one dew claw injury at our meetings. I doubt Tooradin whippet racing club has either.

Again, if a dog had loose floppy dew claws then I can see the reason for removing them, but for just cosmetic reasons, I hate it, even though I did it with the 2 litters I bred.

Edited by Kirislin

Most of our Pointers had their dew claws removed by their breeders - for which we were greatful. Except our present one, who does chew his pads each summer - when certain grasses are present. I bought him 4x Ruffwear Grip Trex booties, to protect his pads when going for walkies, the fastening around the top is pushing the dew claws into the flesh of the paw, causing sores. Now we have to wrap each paw with a Band Aid or Micropore, to seperate it from the claw, before booties go on. Mum's XBreed dog, plus my Kelpie, have both broken off part of their dew claws - they all grew back pretty soon after.

My vet (who has been in the profession for over 40 years) is adamant that it is one of his absolutely least favourite operations - repairing or removing dewclaws from adults. It's massively painful and traumatic. And his advice is also that it is far too common to see them injured... Let alone neglected ones, especially on coated dogs.

My vet (who has been in the profession for over 40 years) is adamant that it is one of his absolutely least favourite operations - repairing or removing dewclaws from adults. It's massively painful and traumatic. And his advice is also that it is far too common to see them injured... Let alone neglected ones, especially on coated dogs.

Now that I do agree with.

My dogs have no dew claws (breeders removed them) and shock horror they manage to hold/eat bones (and toys), run and do agility just fine :laugh: I prefer them off - the everyday difference it makes to the dog is negligible and I prefer to eliminate the risk of them being injured / torn personally, plus don't have to worry about trimming them. My Tentie is quite often ripping his stopper pads from pouncing on his ball like a maniac in the back yard - if he had dew claws I'd imagine they would have copped a beating by now. :laugh:

• Like 1

While I'd generally agree with you on the issue, I think it does depend a lot on the individual dog. You get some dogs with nice, tight dewclaws and they're never a problem. Then you get the dogs with the dewclaws that flap in the breeze and usually end up having to come off anyway when the dog inevitably snags it and rips the tendons and muscles halfway up off its leg, causing the dog a hell of a lot of pain and distress.

I don't agree with the cutting of dewclaws by breeders though, for any reason. I don't think you can tell how firm a dewclaw is going to grow to be (from looking at the neonate puppy) and besides that, cutting a thumb off without any anesthetic is not humane by any stretch of the imagination.

Totally agree. While still taking sandgrubber's point that when all is well, dewclaws can serve a real purpose in specific situations which most of our Oz dogs won't be in, anyway..

Edited by mita

Fauves have front dew claws and they should be left - they should never have rear dew claws.

Interestingly, from a breed standard point of view, the FCI standard currently says that the presence of dew claws is a disqualifying fault. It is currently in the process of amendment as it is purely a translation issue and the French club has confirmed that it is only intended to refer to rear dew claws. The front dew claws have a different name over there (wolf claws I think :confused: ) and so when the standard was translated into English it didn't translate what was actually intended. Obviously it is a bit of process to amend it though :laugh: