Survey - Do We Judge A Book By Its (canine) Cover?

tjhowell

I find this survey very strange. How can anyone comment on a dogs personality by looking at a single photo?

Most people would buy a dog based on looks

And I find that strange too!

You've never heard someone say "it was so cute I just had to buy it, it looked so sad in the shop?"

Of course I know heaps of people who buy animals based on looks.

When I say I find it strange I mean that in terms of how your new pet is going to affect your life looks would usually be a small consideration. Temperament of the individual pet, exercise requirements etc are going to play a bigger role over the 10-20 years of the pets life IMO and I would always take that into account before what the pet actually looked like. I find it strange that some people give no consideration to it at all.

I accept that buying based on looks is the norm but I wouldn't do it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input. I agree with many of you that buying based solely on looks isn't a good idea, but like many of you also stated, I also acknowledge that it's very common. For better or for worse.

To the people who had questions about which photo they were shown: we have a set of 40 photos, each of a different dog, and everyone who completes the survey is randomly assigned one dog photo. If you happen to get the same breed you own, it's entirely by accident -- in fact, one person told us that she has gotten the photo of her own dog! We certainly don't want that to happen, but we can't really control it.

Edited by tjhowell

I would always take that into account before what the pet actually looked like. I find it strange that some people give no consideration to it at all.

Sorry, that makes me smile ... that you have such a high opinion of joe/josephine public .

So many first time puppy buyers buy a mixed breed, and would have little knowledge of what they may need to provide .

pedigree dogs are also often purchased before research is done , and often, too because uncle or stepmum had so & so a breed & they looked wonderful ..

If looks were not almost a priority in selling dogs - we would maybe have lots of medium coat, beige dogs , who all looked a similar shape , but with differing temperaments ..(a HUGE quantum leap , and facetious , sorry ... :D )

Looks are so important , as they also are the first thing which produce that warm fuzzy feeling Dogs/puppies with a shorter muzzle , pudgy legs ,.eyes innocent and 'pleading' & a bit 'buggy' .. & that baby pup fuzz...they are the ones who get the maternal feelings going , to bash down sensible reasoning ;)

Can you blame people ?,.I don't .It is not THE responsible way to go about buying a pet ...but it is probably the most common.

I don't know what breed my one was! It was a golden colour and scruffy and cute :)

Was it a Fauve?? LOL Just remembered that we had to supply neutral photos for a survey earlier and think it might have been for this one :laugh: .

I had a Cavalier and must confess that my answers were heavily biased towards my daughter's cavalier who lives with us presently and drives me insane :rofl:

I got a boston terrier! I know the expression was supposed to be neutral but I felt I could see concentration in it's eyes, like maybe mum/dad was holding a treat to get it to stay while the photo was taken LOL. I just answered based on the way that particular dog made me feel since I haven't spent much time with bostons. I suspect it would be harder if you had a lot of experience with the breed you got.

Mine was a smooth dachshund (probably a miniature guessing from the ears) and I tried very hard to base my responses on my interpretation of that dog's expression (wary, stubborn) and NOT on my experiences with this breed.

If I had that dog in rescue, I wouldn't pick that photo to advertise it! laugh.gif

I saw a very distinctive looking Dane cross.

Like this by any chance?

post-23772-0-58011000-1376819111_thumb.jpg

I hope you said she looked intelligent... and friendly... and deadly cute... lol!

T.

I got your beautiful girl. I kept looking at the blade of grass stuck on her lips and thinking she looked so cute!

I don't know what breed my one was! It was a golden colour and scruffy and cute :)

Was it a Fauve?? LOL Just remembered that we had to supply neutral photos for a survey earlier and think it might have been for this one :laugh: .

I had a Cavalier and must confess that my answers were heavily biased towards my daughter's cavalier who lives with us presently and drives me insane :rofl:

Maybe! :laugh:

I remember now too, I supplied a pic of my Aussie!