All Rescues Are Special

Barney came to us from Blacktown Pound. We don't normally rescue from there, but DOLer border collie employee keeps a watching eye for working breeds and offered vetwork and transport if we'd take a couple of desperate dogs from the pound. BCE is one of the behind-the-scenes people who quietly help save dogs without making any noise or fuss.

Barney was a surrender, he'd been at the pound for quite a long time, and was so timid that he was release to rescue only. There had been some consideration of euthanizing him because he was so anxious.

We said we'd take Barney and see how he went.

This is Barney in the pound.

post-1835-0-75195500-1377493248_thumb.jpg

Barney came off the transport and straight into my lap. It turned out he wasn't overly timid, but was terrified of the pound. I assume he was surrendered because, as a young mix of two intelligent, active breeds, he got a bit much for his owners. He had no manners, but did have a naturally happy, affectionate nature.

He was with us for a while getting a bit of work in leash walking and some basic manners, nothing special really. Some company and exercise were really all he needed.

A couple of weeks ago we had an application for him.

Here's Barney at home. I think the photos speak for themselves. :-)

post-1835-0-08665000-1377493509_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Blacktown Pound for giving him a chance, and border collie employee for helping him out.

:cry: Happy tears. Look at Barney & his new wonderful loving, happy life. BCE love your work :thumbsup: I for one can't thank you enough for taking the time to save dogs like him.

I hate to see any dog locked up in a pound through no fault of their own but one thing that really upsets me is to see working breed dogs in places like this just because they are so misunderstood by some.

Hats off to you & all the wonderful rescuer's doing an anazing job :flower:

Edited by BC Crazy

It turned out he wasn't overly timid, but was terrified of the pound.

Great work Aphra and BCE. Barney looks as though he has found his love match.

The bit I've quoted and highlighted from your post is the scarey bit, though, isn't it. So many dogs just don't show their true personalities in the pound. Luckily, there are increasing numbers of experienced rescue people and pounds who work with them to be able to see past the unnatural environment and surroundings.

Have fun, Barney :thumbsup:

He doesn't remotely look like the dog in the pound now. Barney's pic with his new owner is a Poster Pic for a happy adoption. Just beautiful.

Doesn't this case show, how the pound environment skews 'temperament' testing for dogs like Barney. Once out of the environmental stress & with a healthy dose of new learning .... a totally different dog steps up. Well done, Aphra, & all who helped Barney to graduate with honours to a new home. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

The bit I've quoted and highlighted from your post is the scarey bit, though, isn't it. So many dogs just don't show their true personalities in the pound. Luckily, there are increasing numbers of experienced rescue people and pounds who work with them to be able to see past the unnatural environment and surroundings.

Oh totally - it's so sad. My current foster was considered "deaf as a post" and "stone deaf" in separate vet reports from 2 vets in a pound. He's not deaf at all, though! He had basically just shut down in the pound environment. If he is hard of hearing, he certainly doesn't show it and if I hadn't read those vet reports and been told he was totally deaf, I wouldn't have even considered the prospect.

Oh totally - it's so sad. My current foster was considered "deaf as a post" and "stone deaf" in separate vet reports from 2 vets in a pound. He's not deaf at all, though! He had basically just shut down in the pound environment. If he is hard of hearing, he certainly doesn't show it and if I hadn't read those vet reports and been told he was totally deaf, I wouldn't have even considered the prospect.

I'm special; it said so on the side of my school bus.

And my rescue pit bull Hobbes is special too. He is 13 years old now, majorly grey around the muzzle, and somewhat (a lot deaf). He used to be a really good ratter; he'd hear the scratching, and then the rat would be dead. So quick you'd be hard pressed to actually see him kill it. Now that he is deaf, the only rats he kills are those that he sees. They have to prance about in front of him now for Hobbes to recognise them and do the quick crunch kill.

All my dogs have been rescue dogs and all of them have been unique individuals. I don't know that 'special' is the right word to describe them; I think that the words 'unique' and 'individual' are more apt.

ricey

In fact, the title of this thread has been bothering me. Some dogs aren't more special than others. They are all special but some have greater needs physically and psychologically.

This message was brought home to me many years ago when my first dog died of congestive heart failure very young. I said to someone, "But she was so special." The other person said, "They are all special, Cynthia."

Lesson taken on board. :) :)