How Do You Deal With The Obsessive Animal Lib Types?

kelpiecuddles

My aunty is one. I don't want to have to ditch her from my facebook but I'm a little sick of being bombarded by links to, often exagerated, animal liberation type pages. I've just felt the need to defend my local shelter over a post she put up about a recent situation that went through the courts up here. the link she posted was the typical hard core animal lib type page with the details carefully chosen to shed a very bad light on the shelter and the work they do, talking about high kill rates, etc, whereas the truth is that our local shelter is one of the few that doesn't euthanase rehomable animals and put a lot of effort in to keeping the shelter clean and giving the dog exercise and stimulation in their large fenced grass area and walking in the surrounding streets.

She's what I could only describe as rather gullible and she always seems to believe whatever crap these mobs are spewing. I do believe animal welfare is important, I choose free range meat, grow my own eggs, etc, etc but I don't buy in to all the sneaking around and semi-legal crap that these mobs tend to use.

make a special listing for her [under interests] and whack her in there, when you want to see what she's posted then click on the newly made interest link from your home page and it comes up [you'll probably still get bombarded, but it won't come up in your normal news feed].

Just ignore and/or hide the posts you don't want to see.

I actually tried this, but then found I had to see the posts in order to hide them, so I got bombarded anyway. It would only be useful to people who constantly trawl through their news feed so that they don't have to see a post more than once.

You could try asking her to put YOU on a special list, like "non animal rights" so that you don't get bombarded.

If she says no, then you can choose either to unfriend her (and ask another relative to share any nice family pictures that she posts), or you can decide to make "you are so gullible, these are the actual facts" comments on her AR shares until she either unfriends you or start looking more closely at how she is being manipulated. Well, we can dream...laugh.gif

LOL, the latter is pretty much what I have been doing :laugh: She banged on about one of the food companies that had their flags stolen and used at a dog fight, but she had some crap from somewhere saying that they had approved the use of the flags, etc, etc. When i pointed out that the company had no idea she basically told me that they should have known beforehand and stopped it rather than distancing themselves after the fact. Not sure how they were supposed to know that someone was planning to secretly use their promotional material without their permission LOL

LOL, the latter is pretty much what I have been doing :laugh: She banged on about one of the food companies that had their flags stolen and used at a dog fight, but she had some crap from somewhere saying that they had approved the use of the flags, etc, etc. When i pointed out that the company had no idea she basically told me that they should have known beforehand and stopped it rather than distancing themselves after the fact. Not sure how they were supposed to know that someone was planning to secretly use their promotional material without their permission LOL

They never listen though :( doesn't matter how many facts you give them. Been dealing with conspiracy theories of late and it's been doing my head in.

You can install a 3rd party app for Facebook called Social Fixer which has a filter by key word function. I have it set up at the moment to dump any posts with "Rudd" or "Abbott" in them. During the American election I had a similar filter. It's useful for this sort of thing.

Family are tricky on the issue of polar opposite political beliefs, I suppose I'd schedule kindly inserting a clue every so often via a balanced story on your own wall but otherwise ignoring her.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I deleted a friend who kept posting shocking and distressing photos of animal cruelty. I'm sorry I had to delete her and I explained to her at the time why I was doing it. We're still friends, just not on facebook. There are other ways of maintaining contact with her if you want to.

Can't help re FB, but you could tell her to put her time where her mouth is go down there and help with the animals and if it is so bad she can make suggestions/contributions to improve their conditions. Spouting stuff on FB won't help the animals that are there now, plus she will be able to make informed accusations.

You can install a 3rd party app for Facebook called Social Fixer which has a filter by key word function. I have it set up at the moment to dump any posts with "Rudd" or "Abbott" in them. During the American election I had a similar filter. It's useful for this sort of thing.

Family are tricky on the issue of polar opposite political beliefs, I suppose I'd schedule kindly inserting a clue every so often via a balanced story on your own wall but otherwise ignoring her.

SOCIAL FIXER saves my sanity on FB . :)

She is a doggy foster carer m-j so she's not doing nothing.

One of her friends has actually agreed with many of my points on the latest one and it's turned in to quite an interesting discussion on the pitfalls of some of the current animal welfare legislation and the way it can limit some agencies capacity to assist animals so all is not lost :laugh:

I just ignore the rantings about anything that doesn't interest me...

My brother has taken to spamming me multiple times a day with "don't vote for Tony Abbott" crap... whatever gave him the idea who I might want to vote for is beyond me... I haven't even worked that one out yet - but his constant spamming sure isn't making me any more likely to want to vote Labor either... *sigh*

AA or AR types... meh... delete.

T.

My uncle is big on the masturbatory self love that is hearing himself talk on Facebook. Has an opinion on every topic and every status. He had to be hidden, for those who suggested blocking though that actually removes them from your friends list and they might notice you missing, you can always say you deleted the account but it does show you're missing. Just a hint! I made that mistake once, then got caught out as having not deleted the account at all. Ooops. :o