Because I Am Out Of The Loop

persephone

What Do You Use for puppies ?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You use the following on PUPPIES under 6 mths ?

• harness
    • martingale/limited slip
    • head collar
    • chain collar
    • prong collar
    • slip collar , other than chain
    • flat collar
    • combination
  2. 2. Which is you preferred SINGLE tool ?

• harness
    • martingale/limited slip
    • head collar
    • chain collar
    • prong collar
    • slip collar, other than chain
    • flat collar
    • other - please describe.
  3. 3. Why do you prefer this tool ?

• I like the look
    • It seems comfortable
    • I am able to exert more control over pup's movements
    • My puppy needs the "xx" to stop bad behaviours
    • It was suggested me by a trainer
    • It was suggested me by a breeder
    • It was suggested me by a vet
    • My training school uses this
    • I think it is all that's needed
    • I think it is a humane way to walk my puppy
    • My puppy has special needs

I think it depends on different breeds as well as to what is needed.

I personally only use martingales (either full material or with chain like the Rogz ones). I could not really answer the 3rd question so just put in that it is what the dog club uses, even though we can use pretty much what we like.

I couldn't really answer the 2nd and 3rd questions,

I use a harness flat and martingale fairly evenly for different purposes, but I put martingale for 2nd as it would be my preference for a pup in general. (Eg, if someone gave me a pup to walk??)

for 3rd I put it as "I am able to exert more control over pup's movements" just as that is kinda the closest.

My pup is generally really great at loose leash walking, but if he does see something too tempting (currently staring magpies), he just chokes himself on a flat, the martingale puts the pressure evenly around his neck and it makes him stop quick without him making that horrible choking noise.

Edited by LisaCC

I use harness, slip collar (not chain) and flat collars on puppies under 6 months.

Some dogs I use a harness for 'anything goes' - a way to talk the dog without having to enforce lead manners or anything else. They are allowed to play on a harness.

I use slip collars (fabric) for in the ring, just because they look nice. They only get these collars put on as they enter the ring, and then taken off as they come out - except for training. The idea is the dog learns to show when the slip collar is on.

I use flat collars for walks that have rules (no pulling). They're not normally allowed to interact much with other dogs on a flat collar.

Some dogs I start training tracking early, and I also use a tracking harness then, too.

Basically, I often have a piece of equipment the dog wears which means 'anything goes' and then piece/s of equipment that mean different things to the dog... Harness for tacking, slip for showing, collar for obedience, etc, depending on the dog and what my plans are.

I used check chains on my older 2, a harness for Pickles due to her disability issues, and use a check chain for Harper the horse puppy. The older 2 "graduated" to flat collars once they had the obedience thing worked out and no longer need any correction.

T.

The vast majority of training I do with no collars. At the most a flat collar and long line for a pup that is pushing the recall boundaries. As they get older I find the most appropriate piece of equipment for walking - Ziggy has a soft martingale as he was very clever at slipping out of collars as a teen. I am going to try a harness on Em for walking as she struggles to walk calmly without hunting and throws herself whenever a bird, rabbit or similar crosses our path....difficult when they appear every few seconds!

Since we have had Cavaliers we have only ever walked/trained them in harness's. They do have flat collars, but we feel they are more secure when out walking them with their leashes attached to their harness's . We have had no issues doing it this way :)

Initially Miah was started out before we got her in a slip show collar . (the ones they use at shows?)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Flat collar here. My older dogs i used a check chain for training/ walking because that was what I was told to use.

My 2yr old Kelpie and current pup have only ever had flat collars and harnesses.

Flats for general use, walking etc. it's all I've ever needed to use. And harness for car trips and flyball.

I also walk two BCs, that their owners can only manage on their 'anti pull' harnesses (and still get their arms stretched), on flat collars. They get walked together and both walk quite nicely for me.

Thank you :) it's interesting . Guess it does make a difference too with coated breeds ....? I am a dinosaur with no experience in harnesses (LOTS of flat collar/chain collar work before harness training adult Guide dogs, but that's different ;) ) and I have only ever used head collars on adult dogs meant for people who were infirm /incapacitated in some way.Limited slip collars I have used a few timeswith pups , and like them . They are excellent for those who do the yabby backward spurt and leave flat collars behind :D

Edited by persephone

I use a collar, flat or martingale until they can walk relatively consistently and nicely them switch to a harness.

I ticked "special needs" although having your neck as the biggest part of your body isn't really a special need, more of a "special" need :rofl:

Too often I ended up holding a leash and collar and no pug just because I'd start walking and they didn't, collars just fall off them so they aren't in the slightest bit practical. Max learnt too quickly that she could escape just by putting on the brakes!

She's "special" :laugh:

I had never used a harness for anything except tracking and sledding until I bred a litter, one owner asked I lead train her boy that way and it was very smooth. I went to flat collars as soon as they had the initial idea, and use martingales for adults. But baby training on a harness worked fine.

Most of my training at home with Rory was (and still is) done with no collar. When he was little I used a Black Dog soft martingale/limited slip because it.) was easier when he was growing fast than adjusting a flat collar. (Now it's in my puppy class training bag.)

Only harness I use is for bike riding or tracking - ComfortFlex Sports - did use Black Dog. Dogs walk fine on flat collars.

I use a flat collar on puppies. I like to upgrade to a limited slip to let me slip it on and off quickly and to avoid the dog slipping the collar on their own. I like the limited slip to be thin rather than broad. So far that is all I've needed, apart from a chain lead to teach puppies not to chew leads from an early age.

I have all large breeds by the way, would not really consider walking them on a harness as that gives me minimum to no control over the head I guess. I see how some breeds might be fine or need to wear a harness though, especially smaller ones.

I would probably end up grass skiing at some point with harnesses despite all the training in the world lol

ETA: @ Pers, I see a lot of adult dogs still mouthing and chewing leads and owners finding it funny... Always strikes me as a little wierd because it is so easy to avoid when they are little

Edited by BlackJaq