Getting Two Puppies To Keep Each Other Company...

Missymoo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on the home - not something I'd recommend but the right people can make it work really well.

My parents got two miniature poodles from the same litter and it has been fabulous. My parents moved away from the family home and the family dogs (who stayed with me) years ago in what was supposed to be a temporary move. They loved the area and moved permanently but the dogs stayed with me. My dad's theory was that we had always had less trouble with our dogs growing up when we had two so he wanted two. Their dogs from the moment they got them have been completely part of their lives BUT the dogs do have each other when they're out of the house. It doesn't need to mean that the people have no intention of spending time with their dogs.

Is it just me or do others wonder why people even want a puppy if they want two "to keep each other company"

I really really hate that phrase...

What's wrong with having two or more dogs to keep each other company? Many people work full time and it's good for the dog to have another dog at home.

I have two dogs and I am really glad I decided to do so. While my dogs get walked twice a day, they are on their own during most of the day. Even when we are home, sometimes my dogs would just go out and play with each other.

From a training perspective it would definitely be a nightmare to get two puppies together. I got my second puppy six months after the first.

We picked up two gorgeous GWP puppies from the same litter - with the best intentions, so one dog would not be alone when we went out. They did everything together, lived for each other, from an early age on, they always tried to outsmart us and run away into the bush - where we live. My husband once commented he never had any dogs so sneaky. Well, you always had to watch them, we took them for a drive through the paddocks, when having a minor mechanical problem with the car to fix, left the car door open, silently they were gone. Once, one of them sqeezed through ringlock netting and ran through a battery operated electrical fence. Once, they were lost for 24 hours, no homing instinct there, they were found - still running in the wrong direction from home. Last time a gate was left open, they were missing for 7 days, my husband's dog was recovered, my beloved pet was found drowned the next morning. Sad end to a great idea. :(

I think in a lot of cases it's ignorance, chances are people that are making this statement haven't had a puppy or at least not for a long time so they don't remember or know all the hard work involved and the potential issues with raising litter mates. Like Odin-Genie said there is nothing wrong with wanting two dogs and a lot of people would wrongly assume it's better to have them grow up together from a young age.

I don't have any children as yet and can't help but think it'll be easier just to have twins to get the child bearing over and done with in one go :laugh:

Edited by Leah82

My family's first dogs were litter mate brothers that the 'breeder' suggested for that very reason. We had all the problems that this forum warns about for this situation and it was a really unpleasant start to dog ownership. I think a lot of people get talked into the idea especially when they aren't dog savvy.

Anecdotely the biggest problem I see pet owners have with 2 dogs is what I call 'joined at the hip' syndrome, where to bring one to the vet or groomer etc without the other becomes a bit of a nightmare. Often the one left at home becomes frantic. I hear stories of intense behaviour changes from pretty much the instant one is out of sight of the other! screaming, excessive stress barking, overt destructive behaviours, and even self harming behaviours.

Of course it can work beautifully but I encourage my pet owners to do separate activities from day one.

If 2 dogs are purchased with the sole intention that the dogs will keep each other company so they can be pretty much left to themselves, well that's not good, but lots of double dogs do work well if done thoughtfully and with dedication.

Can work if there are a "separation" in years...have 2 dogs ..one was 3 years + and then we got the pup... worked perfectly and they co-habit really well. One was inside and the other outside... the pup (now 4 1/2 yrs old) has since left to live with my son.

I think 2 puppies from the same litter can be a nightmare as my colleague found out - she eventually adopted them out as too much of a handful and theydid not listen to her ...they just played themselves and did mischevious things all the time and she was having problems even on toilet training.

She told me she would never get 2 pups from the same litter again as they bonded with each other more than her and training (as she was a single lady at that time) was a nightmare for her.

Can work if there are a "separation" in years...have 2 dogs ..one was 3 years + and then we got the pup... worked perfectly and they co-habit really well. One was inside and the other outside... the pup (now 4 1/2 yrs old) has since left to live with my son.

I think 2 puppies from the same litter can be a nightmare as my colleague found out - she eventually adopted them out as too much of a handful and theydid not listen to her ...they just played themselves and did mischevious things all the time and she was having problems even on toilet training.

She told me she would never get 2 pups from the same litter again as they bonded with each other more than her and training (as she was a single lady at that time) was a nightmare for her.

I agree. Personally, I would never get two puppies together. We have always had several years in age between them and like you, it's worked beautifully. The older do teaches the puppy the tricks of the trade so to speak, not to mention when they age and the time comes, you are not left with no dog at home.

Whenever I see people in the dog park with littermate puppies I cringe (usually 'oodles), and they give the "we got them for company" line. Then a few months down the track you see the owners looking frazzled and the pups don't come when they call them and they have little interest in other dogs and the owners are looking at people with two dogs asking how you get them to be so well behaved, because theirs are just so high in energy and don't do anything they ask and destroy the house etc

My dogs are only 6 months apart in age. I wanted 2 dogs but I also wanted my first dog to have company while I was at work. They adore each other and work well together when training. They play together well and in 6 years we've had only 2 fights between them when they were young and sorting out leadership. Most nights they curl up together to sleep.

I don't think getting another dog for company is a bad thing as long as you know what your in for

I don't think two pups at the same time is automatically fraught with danger. Plenty of breeders run on 2 or more pups at a time for several months. If you have you head screwed on straight and, depending on the breed, it can work out quite well.

Is it just me or do others wonder why people even want a puppy if they want two "to keep each other company"

I really really hate that phrase...

Why would you hate that phrase? It sounds like your assuming that everyone who says that wants to buy a pet and then ignore it. Pretty big bow you're drawing!

As others have said people work. Not every dog owner across the world spends 24hrs, 7 days a week with their pet.

The people you mentioned above may acknowledge that and put added stress on themselves by taking on more than 1 puppy at a time, so they don't have a lone pet by itself.

I like that phrase!

This topic has appeared many times over the years and I suppose we can really go on personal experience and first hand(as opposed to second, third or fourth) knowledge of other people's experiences.

I was desperate for a dog when I finally bought a house with a yard and fence. However, during the few days of moving in, all through the day I heard the sound of barking dogs and even to my untrained ears, the dogs sounded lonely and bored. I decided that no way was I going to subject a dog to be being left on his/her own for 10-11 hours a day.

Change of plan. I adopted two puppies from different litters, so when I brought them home they were 8 weeks and 9 weeks of age.

When they were old enough and fully vaccinated, I took them everywhere together, I went to training with them together. Never had any problems and I didn't have stressed or bored dogs. I used to go regularly to an off leash park where my only concern was their size - they were Maltese and the girl was very very tiny.

Just my experience and, so, speaking from that experience, I would never have a singleton.

And I cannot understand why anyone would hate the phrase "to keep each other company" :shrug: because that is what they do when the owner isn't there.

Gus and Rosie are very happy as a unit, I'd say as much. They do keep each other happy and busy and it must make a long day more fun and bearable. I always planned to get a second, however I don't judge anyone who chooses to have one, 3 or 5. As long as you can cope and your dogs are happy, power to you!

My partner and I have two pups... 6wks apart. They're currently 6.5mths and 5mths.

I leave the house at 8am.... he leaves a bit earlier or later... he has his own trades business so is home for lunch or any time after 2pm depending I work. I get home at 6pm.

They are exercised, fed well, taken to classes, sleep crated side by side, socialized and loved.

They're a damn sight better well behaved than most toddlers we know!

I seem to hate peoples generalisations more than what people think about us having two pups.

My partner and I have two pups... 6wks apart. They're currently 6.5mths and 5mths.

I leave the house at 8am.... he leaves a bit earlier or later... he has his own trades business so is home for lunch or any time after 2pm depending I work. I get home at 6pm.

They are exercised, fed well, taken to classes, sleep crated side by side, socialized and loved.

They're a damn sight better well behaved than most toddlers we know!

I seem to hate peoples generalisations more than what people think about us having two pups.

Yes. There's a saying that 'All generalisations are false, including this one.'

As someone posted earlier, there's so many variables in each case. So sometimes 2 similar age pups work out well... & sometimes they don't. You've give a good example of where it's been fine & worked well.

We've always owned at least 2 dogs because we think that dogs tend to need company because they're pack animals. Just by happenstance, we've never brought up 2 puppies of the same age. Our dogs have been adopted as adults.

So I can't claim any experience.